Unicorn Mages

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Unicorn Mages

Post by OfTheThorn »

I have recently bought all the parts I need for a unicorn conversion… Now I just need to figure out how to viably run a unicorn wizard once it's finished!

I get that spell singers gain the most out of a unicorn mount, in the extra wound, but is a solo spellweaver with 4++(2) viable? I had plans to go High Magic, build up tokens on her as quickly as possible and then charge her into a Wild Rider unit before they charge.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Unicorn Mages

Post by frogboy »

I was thinking a level 1 with beasts or shadow and a dispel scroll. Put her in a unit of Wild Riders with full command to give them a bit of magic defence.

Edit. Probably worth having another character in there two to keep the Uni-mage in the back rank.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

I'm debating a Mage bunker sisters of the thorn unit. A Lv.1 on a unicorn would give the unit a 2+ vs magic, which is nice
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I was thinking high magic would be good on a unicorn weaver. This way you don''t need to rely on look-out-sir, you can just discard the wound with a counter.

While sisters of the thorn would be a nice place given their 4++ ward, i was thinking about a group of wild riders. She could accumulate counters during the first couple of turns, then on the important charge the unit would dish out damage and take none in return due to tokens.

Edit: Using high magic also seems to be the best way to protect a spirit sword character in the same unit
TheSupremePatriarch
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Warriors of Chaos, Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves

Unicorn and Sisters of the Thorn

Post by TheSupremePatriarch »

This may sound like a bit of a naïve question, but I was thinking of running a Spellweaver on a Unicorn in a unit of Sisters. Would this take the fast cav rule away from them as the Unicorn is a Monstrous Beast? And if so, does this mean the Sisters wouldn't be allowed to march and shoot? I'm trying to cobble together a new list and not too sure what to do as of yet :P
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Unicorn and Sisters of the Thorn

Post by gingersmali »

http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=26403

Move and shoot would be fine, but they would loose fast cav so no marching and shooting. Also you woundn't get LoS.
TheSupremePatriarch
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ah yeah that makes sense...no unicorn then I guess :P cheers mate
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

The issue with bunkering the mage with Sisters is their loss of Fast Cavalry. They really do want to be moving and shooting, and they especially want to be using feigned flight if necessary. A banner bearer and the Litchbone Pendant (1) gets you a respectable 3++ vs. magic, and the spellsinger can join them on an Elven Steed. I think I will need another game or two to decide whether I am underwhelmed by the sisters.

What would be the most likely threats for a level 4, Moonstone, Talisman of Preservation, Unicorn Darkweaver on her own..?
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

TheSupremePatriarch wrote:Ah yeah that makes sense...no unicorn then I guess :P cheers mate
You have to have a Unicorn, I'm sure there's something in the rules which explicitly say so...

Unicorns for the win :D

Also I'm going to merge this thread with another thread which is similar and will answer the same question if it comes up there...
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

OfTheThorn wrote:The issue with bunkering the mage with Sisters is their loss of Fast Cavalry. They really do want to be moving and shooting, and they especially want to be using feigned flight if necessary. A banner bearer and the Litchbone Pendant (1) gets you a respectable 3++ vs. magic, and the spellsinger can join them on an Elven Steed. I think I will need another game or two to decide whether I am underwhelmed by the sisters.

What would be the most likely threats for a level 4, Moonstone, Talisman of Preservation, Unicorn Darkweaver on her own..?
Bs shooting, doom divers, cannons, stone throwers, bolt throwers, hell blasters, organ guns etc..
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Mollesvinet wrote:I was thinking high magic would be good on a unicorn weaver. This way you don''t need to rely on look-out-sir, you can just discard the wound with a counter.

While sisters of the thorn would be a nice place given their 4++ ward, i was thinking about a group of wild riders. She could accumulate counters during the first couple of turns, then on the important charge the unit would dish out damage and take none in return due to tokens.

Edit: Using high magic also seems to be the best way to protect a spirit sword character in the same unit
Exactly what I was thinking! Build up a buffer of counters by casting safely from a forest. Even useless spells! Hell, Apotheosis yourself on maximum wounds just so your opponent looks at you funny and lets it through. THEN charge her into a unit they don't want those counters to be anywhere near.
TheSupremePatriarch
Newcomer
Newcomer

gingersmali wrote:
OfTheThorn wrote:The issue with bunkering the mage with Sisters is their loss of Fast Cavalry. They really do want to be moving and shooting, and they especially want to be using feigned flight if necessary. A banner bearer and the Litchbone Pendant (1) gets you a respectable 3++ vs. magic, and the spellsinger can join them on an Elven Steed. I think I will need another game or two to decide whether I am underwhelmed by the sisters.

Bs shooting, doom divers, cannons, stone throwers, bolt throwers, hell blasters, organ guns etc..
yeah I used to run Morathi in my DE list. Massed shooting is horrendous for any lone character, the only time I seem to survive that is with a model that has a 3++
TheSupremePatriarch
Newcomer
Newcomer

oh and cheers to whoever moved my thread into the right place :D
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

TheSupremePatriarch wrote: yeah I used to run Morathi in my DE list. Massed shooting is horrendous for any lone character, the only time I seem to survive that is with a model that has a 3++
Yeah I figured as much... This makes Drycha a tempting prospect. With unicorns now being Forest Spirits, she could keep that spellweaver slumbering long enough for our shooting to thin out any mass threats.
That said, toughness 4 and a 4+Ward amulet might just keep her breathing long enough to start building artificial wound counters? It doesn't hurt that apotheosis also adds a fake wound, if she does get peppered.
TheSupremePatriarch
Newcomer
Newcomer

OfTheThorn wrote:
TheSupremePatriarch wrote: yeah I used to run Morathi in my DE list. Massed shooting is horrendous for any lone character, the only time I seem to survive that is with a model that has a 3++
Yeah I figured as much... This makes Drycha a tempting prospect. With unicorns now being Forest Spirits, she could keep that spellweaver slumbering long enough for our shooting to thin out any mass threats.
That said, toughness 4 and a 4+Ward amulet might just keep her breathing long enough to start building artificial wound counters? It doesn't hurt that apotheosis also adds a fake wound, if she does get peppered.
That's a really good tactic for a lone caster - T4 and 4++ protects her against some shooting and the wound counters can protect her too. There's also the fact that against a horde you could stick her on Dark Magic and use Soul Stealer, she can bring her wounds up that way. In both of those situations, I'd say it comes down to how much shooting your opponent wants to direct at a lone caster - at some point they're gonna have to deal with the multitudes of archers, fast cav and treemen coming towards them :P
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

frogboy wrote:
TheSupremePatriarch wrote:Ah yeah that makes sense...no unicorn then I guess :P cheers mate
You have to have a Unicorn, I'm sure there's something in the rules which explicitly say so...

Unicorns for the win :D
This is actually true. It's an unwritten warhammer law.

What about 2 or 3 great stag glade captains with a unicorn highmagic weaver hiding in the back with a moonstone? Theyd get where they needed, they'd pack a punch, and theyd have some defense against shooting with the tokens of negating.

Btw would a single token negate a cannonball? I imagine it would, as its a single wound, causing d6 wounds. Thats pretty sweet
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Luminith wrote:Btw would a single token negate a cannonball? I imagine it would, as its a single wound, causing d6 wounds. Thats pretty sweet
My kneejerk reaction was no, as I thought the tokens were used instead of wounds. But reading the attribute again, it turns out that they allow us to treat a wound as saved, and that does mean it's 1 token per cannonball! :D
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Actually, high magic would be great for taking the forbidden rod, as well! You get that extra magic punch, and you're guaranteed to not kill yourself if you have at least one token.
MountainMammoth
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MountainMammoth »

Since the tokens count as a passed save, it is one token per cannon ball. And the unicorn as a monstrous cav model would stop the bounce. I was thinking about using this to protect a tree man until I ran out of points and had to drop the tree man.
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

That is just totally amazing! Our own "unkillable" lone character afterall!

disclaimer: do not expose "unkillable character" to combat, arrow fire, organ guns, magic missiles or more warmachines than she can cast spells.
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Malkrit wrote:That is just totally amazing! Our own "unkillable" lone character afterall!

disclaimer: do not expose "unkillable character" to combat, arrow fire, organ guns, magic missiles or more warmachines than she can cast spells.
Haha. If only she was in the same league as the 'unkillables'. Still, I'm glad people seem to agree she will have some uses! :D
Renufus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Renufus »

MountainMammoth wrote:Since the tokens count as a passed save, it is one token per cannon ball. And the unicorn as a monstrous cav model would stop the bounce. I was thinking about using this to protect a tree man until I ran out of points and had to drop the tree man.
I like this idea in theory but can't see it being viable except in really large games. Running an expensive Spellweaver around on a Unicorn with no protection from LOS is very risky, and a smart player would plink those protection markers off your T4 no save model with arrows first. But it's a cool trick to keep in mind nonetheless.
kakwah
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Woodelves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by kakwah »

Lvl 4 death on a unicorn with a 4++ and toad scroll is amazeballs.