Why glade guard?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Why glade guard?

Post by CauCaSus »

Niedfaru wrote:Because we spent all of 8th ed so far buying more glade guard and have nothing else to put in our core? :p

Really though, I can see at least one trick GG can do: magic banners.

A Glade Guard unit can theoretically pump out flaming, poisoned shots, while Deepwood Scouts can do one or the other.
Sorry, enchanted arrows count as having been fired fom a magic weapon so can't be flaming.
Hflord
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hflord »

I played a game yesterday against O&G. There army was straight forward, a horde of savage orc big 'unz and mobs of goblins. I had two units of glade guard x20 & x 24, waywatchers, warhawks and three characters.

During the battle I ignored the goblins and kept my distance fearing fanatics, so my waywatchers were deployed in my deployment zone. I focused fire on the Savage Orcs and with magical help (love fire convocation) was able to bring them down to about 10 models before they reached my block of glade guard x 24 which was set up in three ranks, in a venom thicket. First round I beat them in combat by 1 point due to rerolling 1's in CC and fighting in extra rank and rerolls on attacks. The second round I killed off the last 5 orcs, leaving only a goblin and orc shaman, which ran.

I don't think scouts could have done that. Also my special likes to get taken up with other things.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Hflord wrote:I played a game yesterday against O&G. There army was straight forward, a horde of savage orc big 'unz and mobs of goblins. I had two units of glade guard x20 & x 24, waywatchers, warhawks and three characters.

During the battle I ignored the goblins and kept my distance fearing fanatics, so my waywatchers were deployed in my deployment zone. I focused fire on the Savage Orcs and with magical help (love fire convocation) was able to bring them down to about 10 models before they reached my block of glade guard x 24 which was set up in three ranks, in a venom thicket. First round I beat them in combat by 1 point due to rerolling 1's in CC and fighting in extra rank and rerolls on attacks. The second round I killed off the last 5 orcs, leaving only a goblin and orc shaman, which ran.

I don't think scouts could have done that. Also my special likes to get taken up with other things.
Why not? They don't have a maximum size, and being skirmishers, they would be steadfast in the forest. So actually, one could argue that they'd be better at it.

This is why the list I'm rebuilding my army towards has 15 waywatchers and 3 waystalkers to occupy my free venom thicket.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Coyle_Ravane wrote:
Hflord wrote:I played a game yesterday against O&G. There army was straight forward, a horde of savage orc big 'unz and mobs of goblins. I had two units of glade guard x20 & x 24, waywatchers, warhawks and three characters.

Why not? They don't have a maximum size, and being skirmishers, they would be steadfast in the forest. So actually, one could argue that they'd be better at it.

This is why the list I'm rebuilding my army towards has 15 waywatchers and 3 waystalkers to occupy my free venom thicket.
I gotta +1 this. I'd also like to add that since the scouts are skirmishers, they could have easily avoided that combat, and shot them down with no risk at all
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...