Ambushers on Glade riders

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

bloodlamb
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ambushers on Glade riders

Post by bloodlamb »

Hi all, hope your all enjoying the new book!
Can anyone tell me where i can find the description for the special rule 'ambushers on the glade riders?
Thanks in advance :nod:
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: Ambushers on Glade riders

Post by Blackcat »

Pretty sure it is in the rule book.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Big Rule Book, at the end of the Special Rules section is the rule for Ambushers.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

i rather them having vanguard with the current rules, unless they plan to change back ambushers to optional with 9th ed. (they could have easily added optional under their entry if they wanted to be optional, damn gw nerfing units so they can sell new units.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

They're now in a strange position if being an enormous gamble. If they arrive on turn 2 then they have great potential, it does rely in getting the roll off though...
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

I like them. People don't have the option to sit back and block them from having good spots to come on, as they have to be chasing after our shooting from turn 1. So that almost guarantees that the GR will have plenty of slow soft and undefended targets to pick up, before they wait around behind units ready for a T6 rear charge.

Don't get me wrong, I was up at night dreaming of using them as a character bunker before the book came out. But it was not to be. Still think they should be in every list though, as with dryads nerfed, GG not as good as scouts/waywatchers and EG requiring a purpose built list (still!) there really aren't that many ways to fill core.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Everything is double-edged with them. Ambush can help them reach warmachines or backlines faster... But it means they're not on the table to help with target saturation. They can upgrade with some great arrow options, but they don't start on the table to use them. Their Asrai Spears make them better than most Fast Cav in combat, but they can't charge with them until Turn 3 at the earliest.

Something that noone's mention yet though: they aren't on the table to act as filler deployment drops, but this also means that Wood Elves can have very, very few drops compared to many armies. Factor in Ambushers, Scouts and Waywatchers and it's possible to have a lot of points that don't follow standard Deployment. Having the bonus for first turn is great for a ranged-heavy army like Wood Elves.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

That's a good point actually, hadn't even thought about how few drops we are going to have.
Makes it impossible to avoid poor matchups for the stuff that starts on the table, but makes it impossible for opponents to avoid poor matchups from the stuff that's coming onto the table after they've finished their deployment.

Going first is REALLY important. +1 will be handy. Will have to hope we win the roll off to deploy first in Dawn attack though.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Tethlis wrote:Everything is double-edged with them. Ambush can help them reach warmachines or backlines faster... But it means they're not on the table to help with target saturation. They can upgrade with some great arrow options, but they don't start on the table to use them. Their Asrai Spears make them better than most Fast Cav in combat, but they can't charge with them until Turn 3 at the earliest.

Something that noone's mention yet though: they aren't on the table to act as filler deployment drops, but this also means that Wood Elves can have very, very few drops compared to many armies. Factor in Ambushers, Scouts and Waywatchers and it's possible to have a lot of points that don't follow standard Deployment. Having the bonus for first turn is great for a ranged-heavy army like Wood Elves.
I noticed this in my first two games. I actually have more units than my opponents, but 4 or 5 of them don't deploy, so I have fewer drops and thus get the +1. It was weird to go first in both games :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

I dont know, for the points I can take a lord with the acorn effectively limiting the warmachine's fire lanes, so it is a mixed bag for me.

I might be temped to run 1-3 tops for the possibility of rear attacks being they are a tad bit stronger on the charge now.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Bearded_Dragon
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Bearded_Dragon »

im running 2 units of 8 glade riders, 1 with hagbane tips, the other with trueflight arrows, with ambush we can bring them on from any table edge and put them where they are needed the most, and more importantly they can still move into a great position because they are fast cavalry and still shoot, even better with no to hit penelties.... :sexy:
Your sword is no good here.

2014 Games New Book:
Played :5 Won :1 Draw :0 Lose :4
gmaleron
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gmaleron »

Bearded_Dragon wrote:im running 2 units of 8 glade riders, 1 with hagbane tips, the other with trueflight arrows, with ambush we can bring them on from any table edge and put them where they are needed the most, and more importantly they can still move into a great position because they are fast cavalry and still shoot, even better with no to hit penelties.... :sexy:
To bad we need to buy arrows to ignore to hit penalties now, why I like Poison arrows, basically help negate the modifiers we now suffer from.
BigBadBry
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BigBadBry »

I think you're looking at it the wrong way. GG with true flight arrows are now fewer points than GG used to be....and we now get ASF. Ambushers is a mixed bag IMO and depends on your strategy. Overall, I see a net gain!
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

BigBadBry wrote:GG with true flight arrows are now fewer points than GG used to be....and we now get ASF. Ambushers is a mixed bag IMO and depends on your strategy. Overall, I see a net gain!
I think you mean GR "Glade Riders"! GG (Glade Guard) definitely aren't cheaper than they used to be!
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
InstantKarma
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Warhammer: Wood Elves|Warhammer 40k: Tau & Blood Angels

Post by InstantKarma »

Tethlis wrote:Something that noone's mention yet though: they aren't on the table to act as filler deployment drops, but this also means that Wood Elves can have very, very few drops compared to many armies. Factor in Ambushers, Scouts and Waywatchers and it's possible to have a lot of points that don't follow standard Deployment. Having the bonus for first turn is great for a ranged-heavy army like Wood Elves.
This was what I was thinking about. I'm liking the potential for a less ranked/static army list, and using Glade Riders to fill up core seems like the best way to do this since Dryads are no longer Skirmishers. I just got my book last night so I'm still reading and learning up, but I like the potential of an all Vanguard/Scouts/Ambushers list. It would be light on the big scaries, but fast, mobile and very good at picking targets apart in either shooting or hand to hand. Glade Riders would be a very flexibile option for Core and seem like they could work well, again, assuming you make those reserve rolls :p
A project with two of my friends on being new to Warhammer Fantasy.
http://taleof3wargamers.wordpress.com/
irishfarmer
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: WE,Ogres

Post by irishfarmer »

godswearhats wrote:
Tethlis wrote:Everything is double-edged with them. Ambush can help them reach warmachines or backlines faster... But it means they're not on the table to help with target saturation. They can upgrade with some great arrow options, but they don't start on the table to use them. Their Asrai Spears make them better than most Fast Cav in combat, but they can't charge with them until Turn 3 at the earliest.

I noticed this in my first two games. I actually have more units than my opponents, but 4 or 5 of them don't deploy, so I have fewer drops and thus get the +1. It was weird to go first in both games :-)
Hey I think I realized that I have been doing something wrong! Let me get this straight… If I finished the normal deploy time first, but still have units to deploy in the scout deployment stage, I still get the +1? I had been playing that if I deploy in the scout phase and my opponent has no scouts, then he gets the +1. So am I reading this right?
Track those crazy rumors and their rumor mongers!!

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 48304.page
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

They are special deployment. It's all about the main force of deployment =P
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
BigBadBry
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by BigBadBry »

Beithir Seun wrote:
BigBadBry wrote:GG with true flight arrows are now fewer points than GG used to be....and we now get ASF. Ambushers is a mixed bag IMO and depends on your strategy. Overall, I see a net gain!
I think you mean GR "Glade Riders"! GG (Glade Guard) definitely aren't cheaper than they used to be!
Yes, sorry. You're right. I mean GR. I never use GG. :)
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

bloodlamb wrote:Hi all, hope your all enjoying the new book!
Can anyone tell me where i can find the description for the special rule 'ambushers on the glade riders?
Thanks in advance :nod:
Page 79 Big Rule Book.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

I love that they have this new rule attached to them. It gives us a whole new way of using them them.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!