Woods, woods and more woods

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Woods, woods and more woods

Post by SpanielBear »

So it appears that one of the items we may get (and pay premium price for) is an item that provides d3 woods. They can be placed anywhere on the table (although they then scatter), and we may choose what type of wood they are. Oh, and we get our free one as well. Which we can also pick.

Now, this item is a pretty major investment, so I'm wondering what the consensus is? Viable? Niche? Useless? Must have?

For my part, an immediate thought I had was:

1. Scatter woods in front of enemy advance. Declare they are abbysal woods(name? The ones that make units within them cause fear.)

2. Have a reasonable size unit of wild wood rangers camping in our home wood, with a hero with the item that allows teleporting between woods.

3. When a unit enters those forests, jump right in on their flank. :evil:
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Woods, woods and more woods

Post by gingersmali »

I think acorn is an fun item and worth giving ago, however as you've mentioned you'll need to design you list around it.

my thoughts

they are many ways you use our woods now; to slow/damage the energy to buff our troops/ to use to teleport though. Deciding which you think the primary use of them in you list is will help a great deal IMO.

If you taking acorn, moonstone seems like a good buy also. As it has many uses.

Taking acorn on a level 1 of shadow, and having all you character on foot in various units, has so great antics via, the law attribute.

Awaking or wood and the treesing item are good for doing damage via woods.

If you using woods as a speed bump no modifier arrows seem like a good shout.

a brink of 40 WWR could be fun, and probable benefit most from being in a wood, especially a venom thickets. I think smaller units benefit more for abyssal woods.

you most likely going to have a naked lvl.4 so a law like heavens with 48inch ranges will be good to keep him out of harms way.

Sisters also make woods a more scary speed bump.
SpanielBear
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Woods, woods and more woods

Post by SpanielBear »

Aye, I was thinking sisters as a way to hold units in place, to ensure that the enemy stick around to be charged. Although, even without Anraheir, if you place the WWR correctly the enemy must choose between turning to face them, and recieving potentially 20+ strength 5 attacks (fight in 3 ranks in a wood + 2 attacks on the front rank, not to mention the hero and a unit champion), or moving forwards away from them and getting 10+ strength 5 attacks in the rear...

For the hero I might even go so far as to have him as the BSB, to get the double banner combat resolution... So that would be 8 static combat res before wounds.

Yeah, Wood Elves are nowhere near limited to gunlines now!

(EDIT: I am assuming for the sake of argument a unit of 19 WWR plus Moonstone hero/BSB, in 5x4.)
Have Fun, Stay Sane, Enjoy the Madness.