Kinband of Ioreth's Hollow - an army blog

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Re: Kinband of Ioreth's Hollow - an army blog

Post by nXken »

Looks like a gamble with the TMA.

Good luck though GWH!
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I suspect the Frosthearts will draw fire from the Ancient because they're faster and there are certain units the enemy will not want them getting into. I just ran the lvl4 Ancient at a pretty much uncomped tourney and while opponents did persecute him he can be great for roadblocking and for pivoting an attack around. Some games his magic will be great, others Shadow will.

I know you were previously a fan of Trueflight GWH. I run Hagbane Core myself but I don't have access to Withering. Shooty Wood Elves for example could be a tricky match-up though you do have the Phoenixes. Can you fit Ruby Ring? Dealing with armour at range could be tricky IMHO.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Phil is right - Frosthearts are a lot scarier than the TMA and draw fire more.

There are 2 wood elf armies in a 48 person event. 5 host of the Phoenix King so no idea on their composition. MSU shooty will be hard - Lizardmen for example. I'd aim to get the fliers in to combat as quickly as possible there.

In other matchups, especially with little shooting, I'll stand back and shoot / magic and force my opponent to close and then charge.

Need a few more practice games.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Frostheart WIPs

One regular one converted.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101995.846505.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1426101975.627260.jpg
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Finished the conversion and painted it up.

ImageFrostheart Phoenix conversion by godswearhats, on Flickr
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

Wow! That looks amazing!!
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Astounding!!

Much better than the original one, if I'm allowed to say it.
The Phoenixes are a bit too static for my tastes.
(I also like more the purple tone instead of the light blue of the other one)

Out of curiosity, from which model have you started your conversion? Or have you just bent the wings of the original one?
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I flipped the wings - used the left one upside down on the right and vice versa. Shaved the joint and used Apoxie Sculpt to model the joins. The legs were shaved and repositioned, again with putty.

The ogre is stock. The wall was made by making bricks out of Sculpey and then building a wall :-)
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Here's the two of them together. I purpled the blue one a bit more. The blue one is now the younger one, with the purple one being older (and colder).

ImageFrostheart Phoenix by godswearhats, on Flickr
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

A friend asked me how I'm using the Treekin and how I find them. Here's what I sent him via e-mail, reproduced and paraphrased here with some diagrams for ease of reference. My 2500 point list follows below. Most of our local tournaments allow Host of the Phoenix King or bound monsters.

TMA L4 Life (General)
Spellweaver L4 Shadow, Talisman of Preservation, Dispel Scroll, Ironcurse Icon
Glade Captain, BSB, HoDA, Opal Amulet, Charmed Shield, Great Weapon, HBT

2x19 Glade Guard, FC, HBT

6x Treekin, Champ
5x Wardancers, Champ
6 Wild Riders, Shields, Banner

Frostheart Phoenix
Incarnate Elemental of Beasts (or 2nd Frostheart, depending on tournament rules)

Treekin fulfill a lot of roles, depending on the army. People aren't 100% certain about taking them on - T5, 4+/6++ 3W is hard to chew through. They are very well supported by Lores of Life (regrowth, flesh to stone, shield of thorns even) and Shadow (Mindrazor makes them scary, any of the debuffs make them great. I primarily deploy them near to the archers, and use them and the little 5 pack of Wardancers to protect the Glade Guard. I've attached a couple of images so you can see what I mean. One shows deployment, the other my usual set up after turn 1.
Deployment
Deployment
Turn 1
Turn 1
I'm quite happy to let people push toward the deceptively juicy center of my archers and characters. Treekin or steadfast Wardancers with 3++ dance will usually survive any attack for a turn and allow me to bring one of the two flanking groups in. Alternatively, it will allow for a combo charge from either the BSB or Wizard unit, followed by Mindrazor - this eliminates a lot of units and people don't expect a Wizard bunker to charge (Shadow magic lore to flit her away to the other unit and let the BSB be in the fight instead, usually).

Treekin stay around forever as long as the TMA is alive to heal them back up. My only loss in a recent tournament was when I lost combat by 1 and then rolled box cars and they ran very far and off the battlefield :-(

I'm running all hagbane on the archer units, to delete warmachines as quickly as possible. So, there's a circular synergy - the archers kill the warmachines, keeping the TMA (and other monsters) alive, the TMA keeps the Treekin and Wardancers alive, and the Treekin and Wardancers keep the archers alive.

Typically, I lose the monsters and the Wild riders and War dancers not much else, which is usually enough for a good win, unless something goes terribly wrong :-) Sometimes I don't lose the monsters at all, but I'll sacrifice a unit of archers, or whatever. Missing some spells can mean a slightly different strategy, but 90% of the time I can get regrowth and mindrazor, which are often the keys for the whole strategy.

Hope his helps
~gwh
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Kinband of Ioreth's Hollow: Regiments of Renown

Post by godswearhats »

5 brief battle reports, for Sparkle Party Death Match 6: Regiments of Renown.

This tournament allowed everyone to take a 29-model infantry unit with basic human stats and full command, and a human hero, with zero points cost. Over the course of the game, depending on what happened in combats and whether you achieved your mission, your Regiment, Champion and Hero would all gain stat boosts, magic items and special rules. It was absolutely the most fun tournament I've ever played in. Deployment is decided by 2d6 die roll, with the spread being between Battle for the Pass, Battle Line and Meeting Engagement. Scenarios were decided by each player playing one of 9 secret missions, which were used up over the course of the game.

My army:

Regiment of Renown (Drycha + 29 Dryads)

Treeman Ancient, L4 Life
Spellweaver, L4 Beasts, Dispell Scroll, Talisman Preservation
Glade Captain, BSB, HoDA, Charmed Shield, Opal Amulet, Great Weapon
Sisters of Twilight on Gwindalor

2x 19 Glade Guard, FC, Hagbane

6 Wild Riders
5 Wardancers
6 Treekin

1 Frostheart Phoenix (Scroll of Binding)

So, I used the Sisters of Twilight in place of the Incarnate Elemental of Beasts, just because I had a model I could use and I wanted to give them a try. If you look at my images above of how I deploy, that remains largely unchanged as you read these reports.

Game 1 vs Tomb Kings (Wiley Kinyon)

His list was Khalida, L4 Nehekhara, L4 Lore of Undeath, 49 Skeleton Archers, Folding Fortress, 2 units of Sepulchral Stalkers, 3 Chariots, Casket, Hierotitan and 2 units of 5 Skeleton archers. Closed lists, so I'm not 100% sure of magic items, nor did I know about the ambushers until they popped out.

I played the "Bloody Glory Holes" mission, which gets 2 points for breaking fortitude, and 3 points for not being broken. He played "Spy vs Spy" which allowed him to see my mission, get some magic items for his Hero of Renown ahead of the game, and steal the first turn. Oh, and if he stopped me from achieving my scenario, he got his scenario points. Wish I had read that one better before I started the game!

Anyway, I chose my mission knowing that I would win or lose the game based on whether or not I could take out the archers in the folding fortress - poison shots always hitting on 4s, with 40 shots because it was the big wizards tower GW model with 8 stories ...

I pushed everything forward, shot off his chaff with arrows, and positioned my Wild Riders and Phoenix for charges. He likewise moved forward, tried to get the double-shot Nehekhara spell on his unit (I dispelled) and shot my Wild Riders with his chaff, killing one. Turn 2, I moved my Treeman Ancient into range of his tower and threw 6 dice at Dwellers. Despite being in the forest, this spell did not go off - I rolled a 15 on the dice, giving me a total of only 20 :-( On the subsequent turn he poisoned off my treeman by irresistibly casting the double-shot spell and shooting 80 poison arrows. In the end, I killed everything he had outside of the tower, getting most of it in combat with the Wild Riders and Phoenix, and shooting the remainder. Our regiments each got 1 roll on the offensive table and the defensive table (I got Armor Piercing and Cold-blooded) and for not completing my mission I got the consolation prize of a Lichebone Pennant (which did nothing all tournament)

Game 2 vs Legion of Chaos (Nate Roberts)

His list was Doombull with 4+ Ward, BSB on Daemonic mount, Slaanesh L4 Daemon Prince, big horde of Gor with little Festus, 2 5-packs of Ungor raiders, a Chimera and a Tuskgor Chariot, and a Herdstone with 2 L1 Shadow and 1 L1 Beasts.

I played the "Spy vs Spy" mission, and spied that his mission was "Heroic Last Stand" which he had chosen randomly. Heroic Last Stand gets you Scenario points based on how badly you lose, with a 0-20 getting you the full 5. However, you get no scenario points if you win or tie. So, my choice was to either get no scenario points for my Spy vs Spy mission, or take a tie/loss because I really saw no way to get a 20-0 vs this list. My Hero got Armor of Silvered Steel and the +1 Attack sword for Spy vs Spy.

He had his big block on my left, as well as the Chimera, with everything else spreading across to the right, ending in a unit of his Doombull + BSB. I had all my stuff on the right, except for the Wild Riders. The Sisters of Twilight held up the Doombull and BSB unit for pretty much the entire game, eventually dying when they fled a charge and got caught. The Phoenix did nothing as he cast either Choir or Acquiescence on it all game. The Treekin held up all the Daemon Prince all game, being steadfast and taking very little damage (and then being healed). Dwellers took out Festus and half his gor. Wild Riders failed to charge his Chimera, were counter-charged and broke but managed to get 4 away. They rallied and the Chimera charged again, killing two, but combat continued. One more died the following round, but I managed to do a wound back and so won by Banner! The Chimera broke and was run down by the single Wild Rider. He had nothing in range to kill it so I kept those points. Our Regiments of Renown got into each other and I broke his, with the Wardancer champion providing a nice assist. Overall, this finished a 10-10 so I got my full 5 scenario points and earned two more rolls on the offensive charts (one roll each time you broke or murdered an enemy unit with the regiment: I got his regiment, his chariot and his gor) netting me armor piercing again (the rule being it stacked if you earned it more than once, so -2 now), and +1 A - this meant my hero was S4, 5 attacks, AP -2 ... pretty nice.

Game 3 vs Dwarfs (Brendon Fisher)

His list was aimed at not being a gunline. He had one Grudge Thrower (Rune of Fire, of course!), big horde of Longbeards, with a Thane BSB and Runesmith in it, Bugman in his Rangers, 2 units of Miners, two Gyrocopters and his Regiment of Renown.

I played the "Center of Attention" mission, requiring me to have my Regiment within 6" of the center of the board (2 points) and for my hero to do a wound in a challenge (3 points). There was a tower about 9" away from the center of the board, so I decided to use that to protect one flank of my regiment. The Wild Riders were on the right flank, the Phoenix on the left, with the remainder on the center right, near the regiment. He deployed everything pretty centrally, and his rangers Scouted up close to my phoenix on the left.

The Wild Riders failed several charges on the right flank (first into a gyro, then his regiment), but eventually got a second gyro and swooped all the way over to the far flank by turn 5 to lend a hand to the Phoenix, who had held up Bugman and his rangers and a unit of miners the whole game. Poison shooting took out his Grudge Thrower, but not before took a shot at my Treeman which hit and wounded, but I saved! His longbeards vanguarded and a charged them with Sisters of Twilight, Regiment of Renown, Wardancers and Treekin ... everyone failed except the Sisters who promptly got murdered by Great Weapons. I thinned out his longbeard unit a bit with shooting and magic after that, but they double charged my Treekin with his regiment. My regiment then counter-charged his regiment and our heroes battled it out in a challenge, with mine proving the eventual victor. Meanwhile, a unit of miners took out my BSB and her bunker - I should have fled the charge, but stupidly did not. Overall, a 13-7 to me, with my regiment breaking his and achieving the full 5 scenario points. Achieving the scenario allowed me to earn a nice hat for my Hero, and I rolled up the Wizarding Hat! I also got a couple of rolls on the offensive table again, earning +1 S and Always Strikes First for my whole unit - re-rolls and 2 attacks at S4? Starting to sound like how Dryads SHOULD be :-)

Game 4 vs Dark Elves (Garrett Mercier)

His list was 2x10 Doomfire Warlocks, 3x5 Dark Riders, 10 Dark Riders, 10 Cold One Knights, BSB on Cold One, a bound Manticore, L4 Dark on Steed (in Warlocks) and a Dreadlord on a Steed. For this mission I chose "Secure the Infrastructure", which meant I had to have my RoR in a building by the end of the game. We had a Meeting Engagement set up and I had a building 4" away from my deployment zone, so it seemed to make sense. I walked my Regiment into the building on turn 1. I had my Phoenix and Wild Riders on the left flank, with the Sisters. The archers deployed back, closer to the corner and in forests, protected by the Treekin and War Dancers. TMA as usual in the middle. Wizarding hat got me Lore of Beasts.

I charged some Warlocks turn 1 with both the Phoenix and the Sisters. The Phoenix made it, and the Sisters didn't. Wild Riders tried to charge his Cold One Knights and failed, were counter-charged and annihilated. The BSB and her unit promptly unloaded a round of shooting into the Knights, and the TMA cast Dwellers on them (the only unit in range) so they thinned down considerably before eventually hitting my BSB unit. At this point my BSB made way and killed his BSB (go Great Weapon!) but foolishly got killed the next turn. He pushed his regiment at mine in a tower assault, every turn he had, and I rebuffed them - by this stage, his regiment was T4 with a Nurgle-esque -1 to be hit in close combat, so we were a good counter to each other. His Dreadlord and manticore charged my Treekin, but the lord failed so my treekin took the manticore charge on the chin and then broke it next turn with a well-placed Wyssan's. His lord followed in the turn after. Meanwhile the Wardancers got peppered with shots on the right flank from Dark Riders, losing 3. The final two charged in to the flank of the Dreadlord, getting 5 hits with Killing Blow, but failing to roll any 6s - he had a 1+ and the Dawnstone, but no ward, so I had high hopes. In return, he murdered the War Dancers and the Treekin then broke and ran because the BSB was now dead ... oh well. In the final round, my regiment broke his regiment from combat, which earned me all my points for holding the tower, and a roll on the offensive table: got Fight in Extra Ranks (which I totally forgot I had in the last game). This was a 9-11, with I think under 25 points taking it out of 10-10.

The fun part about winning this scenario was I got to roll on another table and secured myself a Fozzrik's Folding Fortress for game 5.

Game 5 vs Empire (Jay Taylor)

I had played Jay at the last Sparkle Party, but I had Skaven then. This time around he had a similar list: double steam tank, 3 units of 4 demigryphs, 1 big unit of Knightly Orders with L4 on Life in it, 1 big unit of Inner Circle with his BSB in it, a unit of pistoliers (who did nothing all game) and his regiment of renown. I had a tower on my side of the battlefield, so I deployed my Fortress close to it and deployed one unit of archers in each tower (well, one unit was 4 inches away and walked in turn 1) and the regiment of renown in between the two, behind a wall. The Treekin went on the right of the right tower, the wardancers on the left. The Sisters were also on the right and the monsters hid behind towers to avoid getting shot at by both tanks if possible. Wild Riders deployed on the right. My mission for this one was "Wood For Sheep", requiring me to have my regiment in a forest that wasn't in my deployment zone at the end of the game. So I put my free forest just the other side of the wall, and bunkered down. Wizarding hat got me lore of death. He deployed 1 unit of demis and 1 tank on each flank, with the inner circle knights in the middle, and the wizard unit back. He chose "Spy vs Spy" so knew what I was trying to do (and rolled Sword of Bloodshed and Enchanted Shield for his magic items).

He pushed everything forward as expected and his shooting and magic did nothing turn 1. I charged my Wild Riders down a hill into his Demigryphs and wrecked them, but they passed an Ld3 leadership test (boo). They stayed in combat for one more turn and then broke, allowing me to overrun into the flank of his steam tank. However, I couldn't get a Wyssan's on them to try to get through the armor, so when the demis rallied and came back in the flank of the Wild Riders, they finally popped - this all took 3 turns, but that was the Battle for the Right Flank. Meanwhile, on the Left Flank the Phoenix was holding up another unit of demis. She took a flank charge from the second tank, but the -1 S combined with crappy rolling by him allowed me to keep her there almost the whole game. My Hero with the Hat cast Spirit Leech on his BSB and killed him early on, but that unit of inner circle knights still ate through my war dancers and Treekin (I forget what happened to the Sisters). My Regiment of Renown however were much tougher, killing enough knights to take them down to 3, and then breaking them (so down to 2) such that they didn't rally all game. I should have shot the last two off, and I would have won by about 500 VPs. As it was, that unit never ran off the board because the were running on the diagonal. Wyssan's and Regrowth were the two key spells, keeping my phoenix alive and giving some extra hitting power here and there. The regiment charged into his third unit of demis (the left: phoenix, the center: regiment, the right: Wild Riders). My Treeman Ancient charged the steam tank on the right flank and treewhacked it to death in two turns, rolling 4 and 5 for wounds (it was down to 7 from the Wild Riders). The Wizard bunker got killed by a combination of combat (and shooting), but the wizard lived on. This one again finished 10-10, with my regiment in the woods so I got my full 5 scenario points. They also earned "Awakening of the Wood" and "Shield of Thorns" as innate bound spells, and a few more rolls on the offensive table.

Results:

I ended up 5th overall, with a respectable battle score, 3 out of 5 possible favorite opponent votes and max paint score.

My Regiment of Renown (The Maple Mavens) ended up with:

+1 Attack
+1 Strength
Throwing Weapons (at S4!)
Lichebone Pennant (MR 1)
Always Strikes First
Fight in 3 Extra ranks (I had them 6 wide, so that's all 30)
Cold Blooded
Armor Piercing -2
Fozzrik's Folding Fortress
Wizarding Hat
Awakening of the Wood (innate bound spell)
Shield of Thorns (innate bound spell)

And their hero, Mycha the Mighty, ended up with an extra attack (5 total, S5, -2 AP!) from the Sword of Bloodshed and 2+ Armor Save from the Armor of Silvered Steel. With her I5 and ASF, she even got re-rolls against most things.

The Regiment of Renown was a lot of fun, and was a great balancing factor: if they died and run away, they got tougher. If they fought and won, they got fightier. My son's unit ended up Unbreakable! Fantastic tournament, run by Ricky Fischer from our podcast with able assistance from his girlfriend Tiffany. Can't wait to do the next one. I've never seen a tournament with so many laughs, high fives and excitement.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Cheers for the results GWH.
It sounds really like a lot of fun and I'd love to see the whole ruleset for the event, since I decided to help our local gaming club to run the last two chapters of the End of Time Campaign.
I think this fits a lot in a campaign perspective.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

14.0 Swedish list I am considering for an upcoming tournament that uses US Masters comp.

Treeman Ancient: Level 4 Wizard
Spellweaver: Talisman of Preservation; Dispel Scroll; Level 4 Wizard; Lore of Beasts

Glade Captain: Hail of Doom Arrow; Charmed Shield; Opal Amulet; Starfire shafts; Great weapon
Shadowdancer: Potion of Toughness; Dragonbane Gem

18 Glade Guard: Lichebone Pennant; Hagbane tips; Lord's Bowman; Standard Bearer
18 Glade Guard: Banner of Eternal Flame; Trueflight arrows; Lord's Bowman; Standard Bearer

6 Wild Riders: Standard Bearer
6 Wild Riders
6 Wild Riders
6 Tree Kin: Tree Kin Elder
3 Warhawk Riders: Wind Rider
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Interesting, but I see some choices which look odd to me.
I imagine some of them are for comp reasons (no BSB, no Eagles), but I can't understand some others.
For example, I can't see why you favoured champs over musicians in Glade Guards.
While I can see the use of Gleaming Pennant, I wonder if the BoEF is there just to shot the flaming HoDA and if it wouldn't be better suited on a WR unit.
Do you rate the PoT over the PoS for the Shadowdancer? I guess you intend to use her to.delay scary stuff (hopefully flaming) in forests.
Lastly, why the champ on Treekin too?

I'm sorry for the rush of questions. I'm not questioning your list, but I really do want to understand your choices
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Aha, defeated by software.

So I use quartermaster for my army lists and I got fed up always having to give my wild riders shields, my glade guard musicians and my glade captain the Battle Standard. So, I have all those things set to auto in my template, which means they don't show up as options in my summary - I guess I'll just change that back.

I did have two eagles and yes, switched out for shadow dancer for comp.

Banners on the glade guard are to keep comp down while still hitting minimum core.

The shadow dancer is a great target for savage beasts. The potion tries to keep her alive long enough to get two rounds of combat with savage beasts.

I like the champ on the Treekin because we have a lot of heavy character builds in the local meta - warriors of chaos in particular. The champ can help delay a character for a turn or two. Also, it gives some good options for wound management - the champ has to be attacked separately from the unit, and so if I have two wounds on the unit already, then a challenge can help preserve 3 attacks. Finally, if a challenge kills a champ on my opponent's turn (more likely that they've charged me than the other way around) then I can often regrow him in my turn and challenge again (if I'm unable to get a supporting charge in).

However, I think this list needs a bit of rethinking because I was convinced I had 5 Wardancers in there too and I don't! So I don't have flank protection on either side of the archers which worries me.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Treekin champ looks pretty cheap and useful to me.

Only one unit of Glade Guard can take a magic standard.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

Ah. Another issue with the list. I would try to rethink it but I have no more tournaments between now and 9th.