Magic Items breakdown

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Magic Items breakdown

Post by NonnoSte »

Since I had the opportunity to read the book just yesterday (thanks to my local store that has a copy for free consultations of each Army Book and received ours Tuesday), I thought that many of you could be curious about what we got as Magic Items.
Beware that I'm Italian so the names are mere translations that I'm doing at the moment.
So, here's the list:

Spirit Sword (42.5 slv):
No armour save and if it causes unsaved wounds, it activates a Spirit Leech (with no draw back at last).

Daith's Reaper (25 slv):
Re-roll to hit, to wound and successful armour saves.

Bow of Loren (10 slv):
The same but now it's actually Multiple Shots (so -1 to hit). It can't be used with magical arrows.

Helm of the Hunt (10 slv):
The same.

Acorn of the Ages (50 slv!!):
D3 free forest before deployment. You can choose their type.

Moonstone of the Hidden Ways (20 slv):
The same.

Hail of Doom Arrow (15 slv):
The same, but now it has Armour Piercing and it's real Multiple Shots.

Calaingor' stave (10 slv):
It changes one of the mage's spell with Tree Singing (8+ to move a forest D6+1" or 2D6 S4 hits. 16+ to bubble it at 12")

Banner of Ariel (50 slv):
MR (3). And one use only unbreakable to the unit.

Banner of Orion (37.5 slv):
Vanguard and re-roll first failed charge.

That's it. Good discussion.
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Re: Magic Items breakdown

Post by MortenLarsen »

Am I the only one who still missis the times where the armies had lots of items to distinguish one from another? Now every character almost looks the same. Dwarfs are the only ones who retained lots of options :/
But that there Acorn seems like a big game disrupter - for the enemy that is :D
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Only one arcane item? That's a little sad :S

Tree singing looks a lot better. I'd consider taking it on a lv 2 shadowsinger

Despite the fact that you may only get 1 extra forest, the acorn is pretty badass! Snipe out the BSB, take death (for doom and darkness), plant a couple mushroom forests in front of your main threat, and watch them stumble haha.
I'd also consider a unit of 8 tree kin in a venom thicket, blocking my mage unit.

If I remember correctly, you have zero ranks if you're majority in a forest, right?

EDIT: I'd also consider taking it on a lv4 heavens. As long as I got ice shard and comet, I'd swap something else for tree singing. And if you stack like 3 forests in front of a dwarf death star, could wind blast actually be useful?!? :D
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Correct. And you can't be steadfast either.
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

This can't be the entire list, right?
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

I can see all of these having uses expect those banners! you not going to for go have defensive kit or HODA on you bsb and pay way loads of point for those.

sprite sword might be useful to kill those hard to deal with targets, especially if you also run law of death.

Is the treeing item such that you can blow it up? or is it like the war alters spell?

Also i heard BoL was attacks +1 now?

thanks for the break down
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

Luminith wrote:
EDIT: I'd also consider taking it on a lv4 heavens. As long as I got ice shard and comet, I'd swap something else for tree singing. And if you stack like 3 forests in front of a dwarf death star, could wind blast actually be useful?!? :D
dwarf death star? I think dwarf now should be a easy game for use, poison off there war machines, avoid there blocks, the only hard part will be dealing with there fliers.
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

No Spites?
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

UKlvrBM wrote:This can't be the entire list, right?
I'm afraid it is, unless some mean joke from GW that involves fake books for Italy.
gingersmali wrote: Also i heard BoL was attacks +1 now?
My bad. I don't know why but I was sure the old one did the same.
Anyway yes, A+1.

But I can't see it so useful at Str3 and with no magic arrows. Could be used by the waywatcher character, but he has a single attack on the profile.
Savage Beast is still needed to make it work properly.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

gingersmali wrote:
Luminith wrote:
dwarf death star? I think dwarf now should be a easy game for use, poison off there war machines, avoid there blocks, the only hard part will be dealing with there fliers.
I'm not coming up with viable tactics, I just like to think of hilarious situations. That 3 forest dwarf unit example cracks me up. Just imagine a large unit of hammerers marching through a forest, 6 measly inches, possibly cursed so they're taking dangerous terrain tests. Then on your turn you push them back and they have to do it again lol.

Another hilarious situation (at least to me) is taking lore of fire, a unit of like 12 tree kin and casting flaming sword on them. I can just picture the enemy units reaction. "Look out, boys, those tree kin are heading our way! Oh, false alarm, someone set them on fire, it lo- oh god, no! Run!"
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Is the Daith weapon defined as a Spear?

What's are the ranges of the two types of unboosted Treesinging please? Do you give up one of your other spells before or after you generate them? I believe you can't move a wood if it's got troops in.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Daith is defined just as magic weapon.
The range of tree singing not bubbled is 18" as it used to be.
And unfortunately it says that you generate one less spell, not that you can change one, once generated.
MarkM
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by MarkM »

Moonstone is not the same as before. It's NOT one use only but cannot be used if in CC and unit counts as having marched.
RonRJW
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by RonRJW »

As Luminith pointed out the Acorn gives us "extra" forests added to our one free forest, so for the cost of the Acorn we would have two forests minimum, odds are likely 3 or 4. I like it. Good luck and have fun. :)
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

MarkM wrote:Moonstone is not the same as before. It's NOT one use only but cannot be used if in CC and unit counts as having marched.
:eek: amazing! So I can bounce around all game?!

Question about the spirit sword: if I were to recklessly charge a unit of 3 mourning, and I did 3 wounds, would I get to spirit leech the first one, and if I killed it, spirit leech the second one, and so on, until did it for every wound?
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

gingersmali wrote:
Luminith wrote:

Never underestimate their gyrocopters, I made that mistake once. shoot and strangle-roots the helo out of it, you do not want that thing getting behind your lines. Once the air cavalry is down, just dance around the dwarves!
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

Luminith wrote:
MarkM wrote:Moonstone is not the same as before. It's NOT one use only but cannot be used if in CC and unit counts as having marched.
:eek: amazing! So I can bounce around all game?!

Question about the spirit sword: if I were to recklessly charge a unit of 3 mourning, and I did 3 wounds, would I get to spirit leech the first one, and if I killed it, spirit leech the second one, and so on, until did it for every wound?
I assume so. It might say only characters or monsters tho. we'll probs know for sure next year when the FAQ comes out.
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

Jamesaet3 wrote:

Never underestimate their gyrocopters, I made that mistake once. shoot and strangle-roots the helo out of it, you do not want that thing getting behind your lines. Once the air cavalry is down, just dance around the dwarves!
Poison poison poison :) if they're taking that many gyros, then their war machines selection is small. If they're taking a gun line, then their gyro selection is small. Either way those are your primary targets.

That and the way overpowered, all mighty anvil of doom! *he said sarcastically* ;)
Jamesaet3
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Jamesaet3 »

No, you just can't be steadfast if you are in the forest. You can still get your ranks.
Let them shoot first, we'll shoot best.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

Going to miss our special and wierd ward save talismans.
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Yep. I'll be mourning the Seed of Rebirth for a long, long time. :cry:
It's an odd change in flavour to go from no armour but plenty of ward options to having neither.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Luminith wrote:
gingersmali wrote:
Luminith wrote:
I'm not coming up with viable tactics, I just like to think of hilarious situations. That 3 forest dwarf unit example cracks me up. Just imagine a large unit of hammerers marching through a forest, 6 measly inches, possibly cursed so they're taking dangerous terrain tests. Then on your turn you push them back and they have to do it again lol.

Another hilarious situation (at least to me) is taking lore of fire, a unit of like 12 tree kin and casting flaming sword on them. I can just picture the enemy units reaction. "Look out, boys, those tree kin are heading our way! Oh, false alarm, someone set them on fire, it lo- oh god, no! Run!"
I spent about 2 minutes laughing uncontrollably when I visualized the first part of this. Just got myself back under control then read the second part and was off again.

On another note:
I think the only good use for the BoL now is on a character who is going to be mostly out of combat anyway, possibly a bsb being held behind a line of EG blocks. At least then he can let of 4 shots each turn then instead of 1. Less than the price of 2 gg, for 3 extra shots at the characters higher bs.

It still isn't as good as a certain HE bow, but nevermind.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
bandit213
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by bandit213 »

Give it to a waywatcher noble or lord and watch as 4 or 5 shots at BS6 or 7 rake in the KB's.
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

bandit213 wrote:Give it to a waywatcher noble or lord and watch as 4 or 5 shots at BS6 or 7 rake in the KB's.
There are no more kindreds, and no more KB shooting in the book.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Coyle_Ravane wrote: I spent about 2 minutes laughing uncontrollably when I visualized the first part of this. Just got myself back under control then read the second part and was off again.
Ditto :lol:

I also got the list of items today, and have been looking over it.

Spirit Sword: I like the potential here for a one-hit wonder character. For those taking lores that assist combat (Shadow, Beasts) or Lores that supercharge survivability (Life, Light) then I think this could be a very fun experiment.

The one thing I wanted to point out is that the Spirit Sword is more than just Spirit Leech. Both players roll 2D6 and add their Leadership, which means the potential for causing a lot more Wounds.

It does make the item slightly less skewey (I just made that word up) because the probability curve for 2D6 is more stable than 1D6, but it also means a greater likelihood of a calamitous roll for your opponent!