Tactics with our new magic potential

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Tactics with our new magic potential

Post by Phil Rossiter »

It's gone, magic cards are High/Dark.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

Any idea of the lore attributes yet? Also what lores for Treeman, Dryads?
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Lore attributes are a bit complicated:
For each spell cast you place counters near the mage's unit (high) or near target unit (dark) and you either ignore unsaved wounds per counter on your unit, or you inflict additional D3 wounds per counter with MM/direct damage spells on target unit.
Treemen Ancients and Branchwraith are on life (death or even both would have been much more fluff-wise) and Drycha is a L2 on shadow.
Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnia, Vampire Counts

Post by Ioreth Starmantle »

Treemen Ancients are L2 of Life, upgradeable to L3 or L4 for the normal Magic Level price.

Branchwraiths are L1 of Beasts.

High Magic Attribute gives you virtual wounds. Every spell on a unit grants a token. When the unit is wounded, the tokens are subtracted before any remaining wounds are applied to the unit.

Dark Magic Attribute gives the enemy extra damage. Every hex gives the enemy unit a token. When that unit is damaged afterwards, those tokens do d3 wounds each.
'Learn well Nature's sole law, for it is thus: Hunt or be hunted, kill or be killed. Know too that the only reason anything ever dies is because it no longer deserves to live! Should have fought harder, should have grown stronger.'
- Ioreth Starmantle, Waywatcher Highborn
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

I thought branchwraith could use lore of beasts...wtf! Well life isnt that bad either i guess.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Actually a L1 on life is pretty bad, if not to help you have the spells you want on your L4.
Ah, I forgot to mention that Durthu is a L1 on beast.
And unfortunately High and Dark are only for Weavers
Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

I think it is Beasts for Branchwraiths, which is equally as bad as Life for a L1.
'Learn well Nature's sole law, for it is thus: Hunt or be hunted, kill or be killed. Know too that the only reason anything ever dies is because it no longer deserves to live! Should have fought harder, should have grown stronger.'
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Well... Wyssan at least is way better then Earthblood.
Anyway it's Life for Branchies (I'm saying it for sure, since I've red the book yesterday).
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Earthblood could be useful for a combat block like Eternal Guard or WWR.

Branchwraith's a bit vulnerable but due to the differing base size you get to stick her on the end of the unit, which will help. She might be able to heal herself too.

Does she cost the same as before?
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Rogue Sun wrote: It's still a brutal spell for Wild Riders. You're talking 6 attacks per model (4 from rider, 2 from mount) all with ASF. Nothing is going to survive a charge like that.
Ohhh i think a decked out Minobus will hold up and turn that back on your heels.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

Phil Rossiter wrote:Earthblood could be useful for a combat block like Eternal Guard or WWR.

Branchwraith's a bit vulnerable but due to the differing base size you get to stick her on the end of the unit, which will help. She might be able to heal herself too.

Does she cost the same as before?
She's way cheaper, but you have to take her as a mage mandatory. She's 5 point less than other mages.
Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer

Now, since I'll be running a Treeman Ancient anyway, and Life is a solid Lore, I find myself more and more attracted to upgrading to L4 and calling him my main caster.

Risky, since Monsters cannot hide in units, but Life covereth a multitude of sins.

Failing that, I think Shadows or Dark Magic for a Spellweaver are the best picks. Both of those shore up our significant weaknesses. Heavens would also be nice at L4 in a shooty list like I run. Especially with its Str6 damage spells for those things where Str3 bowfire just doesn't cut it.

Metal is still a solid choice for a Spellsinger, but I think Heavens or Life+Treeman Ancient has potential too.

We all know the Life really shines only when you have a L4 and a L2 so you get the spells you need where you need them. And Earthblood in your main block is nice.

A Spellsinger with the Moonstone and Earthblood in a large block of Glade Guard and a Treeman Ancient L4 seems like a solid, if unoriginal magic set-up.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I might be starting to like her.
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

I think the choice of magic laws is such a big gain from my point of view, the only law i see being less good is fire, and it would still be okay on a level 1-2.

I think with the +1 to cast and so many channels you will see some pretty horrifying magic lists.

So far combo i can see are.

DEATH+soul-sword
BEAST+noble spam
LIFE+ many trees
SHADOW+anything, just good for elves
LIGHT+more light wizards...haha
HEAVENS+good law for a gun-line gets some high strength in there, blizzard and curse for -2 to hit could be fun if you manage to pull it off,

METAL+really only see this one a level 2 max.
FIRE-sadly more low strength hits isn't really what we need

HIGH AND DARK- sadly i'm not familiar with these laws
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

High and Dark are both solid Lores, but are limited to weavers.
Both would be great support Lores, but are barred for our support casters. On a L4 I can see both of them working, but with less benefits than those our cousins have.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

hmmm... I'm thinking

Lvl 1 or 2 Metal
Branchwraith Lvl 1 Beasts, for Wyssans
Sisters of T for a couple spells if non of the other casters have good targets

I don't know High and Dark magic that well. Will probobly land on one of those for my lvl 4. A lvl 4 treeman is way to expensive IMO, but a lvl 2 could definatly work.
I am also, as others are thinking. Moonstone on BSB, and then a shadowmage/shadowdancer to teleport the moonstone out again, and Acorn of Ages, expensive. But done right might be cool.
Masternecrotect
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: tomb kings and wood elves

Post by Masternecrotect »

quiestdeus wrote:Has anyone had any experience with using Lore of Light? Assuming I will be running 2 units of Sisters of the Thorn, I have been looking at which lore to run on a level 4 spellweaver. I was initially all aboard the Dark or Shadows bandwagon, but really looking back over the options I kinda want to give Light a try.

Pha's protection seems great when stacked with a Curse (or two) from SotT, keeping our low armor low toughness units alive by simply making them impossible to hit.

Shield of light is so-so - WS10 is nothing to complain about (especially if the unit is already hitting at -1 due to curse or pha's), but hardly necessary

Light of battle is admittedly situation, and usually 'meh'

Net of amyntok seems great as another movement control spell to go along with Curse from the SotT

Banishment is great even without a light council backing it up (although there is nothing saying a lvl2 spellsinger could not ride with the lvl4...making this even better)

Time warp on Wild Riders is just downright insane. 36" march to re-position in a pinch? +18" to charge distance AND another attack? Brutal, just brutal. You could imagine a first turn vanguard, 18" march to get into position, followed by cursing or netting a unit to keep it in position, getting time warp off then obliterating something turn 2. Seems... good :D

Brionas just makes empire movement 10 since thats the highest the stat can go no 36" march still a good spell
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

I think the best benefits of Light buffs are still for Forest Spirits:
Tree Kin or Dryads with WS 10, I 10, 4 A and ASF seem quite dangerous, even with the nerfing they got.
A Tree Kin horde suddenly becomes tempting.
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

Can anyone tell me the exact wording on the Dark Magic lore attribute?

I'm intrigued after it was phrased 'add 1D3 per token to the number of hits caused by Dark Magic magic missiles and direct damage spells'. Dark magic has two spells which cause 'hits' to individual models (albeit only one). Does it actually work out that bladewind, for example, might be able to do a handful of hits to those that fail the WS test?
gingersmali
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by gingersmali »

NonnoSte wrote:I think the best benefits of Light buffs are still for Forest Spirits:
Tree Kin or Dryads with WS 10, I 10, 4 A and ASF seem quite dangerous, even with the nerfing they got.
A Tree Kin horde suddenly becomes tempting.

^^ The tree-kin hoard, now i like your style :), what would you go with a level 4 on life & level 1 on beasts? level 4 on Shadow?
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

OfTheThorn wrote:Can anyone tell me the exact wording on the Dark Magic lore attribute?
Whenever a wood elf wizard successfully casts a spell from this lore, and te spell is not dispelled, place a vengeance counter next to each target once the spell has been resolved (not frienldy units). Whenever a unit with vengeance counters is suffers hits from a spell from the Lore of Dark magic, remove those counters and increase the number of hits by D3 for each counter removed (roll separatly for each counter).
OfTheThorn
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by OfTheThorn »

CauCaSus wrote:
OfTheThorn wrote:Can anyone tell me the exact wording on the Dark Magic lore attribute?
Whenever a wood elf wizard successfully casts a spell from this lore, and te spell is not dispelled, place a vengeance counter next to each target once the spell has been resolved (not frienldy units). Whenever a unit with vengeance counters is suffers hits from a spell from the Lore of Dark magic, remove those counters and increase the number of hits by D3 for each counter removed (roll separatly for each counter).
So... yes! :eek: Our lore attribute makes Bladewind and Soul Stealer infinitely more viable if you've hit them with a counter or two. xD3+1 hits per model is going to do a LOT more.
strategem
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Dark Elves, Wood Elves, Ogres

Post by strategem »

I mainly see myself usisng the sisters to cast curse and my lvl4 as a support caster so probably shadow, we don't really need metal to deal with 1+ as we now have the waywatchers :) to deal with that
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

strategem wrote:I mainly see myself usisng the sisters to cast curse and my lvl4 as a support caster so probably shadow, we don't really need metal to deal with 1+ as we now have the waywatchers :) to deal with that
Me to, although I am looking mainly at dark or heavens (i love the idea of tarpitting my opponents uber-deathstar of doom with 10 EG, and layering curse and blizzard from heavens with the sisters curse: "yes, you're now at -2 to hit. Oh, and reroll those 6's please, yes and those 6's......" even if the chance of getting all three off are small).
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by NonnoSte »

gingersmali wrote: ^^ The tree-kin hoard, now i like your style :), what would you go with a level 4 on life & level 1 on beasts? level 4 on Shadow?
No, I think I'll use it just to screen a light council bunkered in a big block of poisonous glade guards. ~30 in a venom ticket should scare anything approaching. Obviously there will be Waywatchers to take care of high Armour Saves.