A fighting spellweaver?

Share your tactical prowess and learn new ways of beating your foes with all the might of the Asrai.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

A fighting spellweaver?

Post by Orion »

Dear fellow woodies,

Do you guys know of any build, where our seemingly weak spellweaver can become somewhat mediocre in Close Combat?
I like the idea of a fighting mage, so while i realize that this would be a lol-build, I would like to hear your input.

Best,
Orion
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: A fighting spellweaver?

Post by frogboy »

How about...

Glamourweave Kindred. Unicorn. 4++ ward save. Ogre Blade. Potion of foolhardiness. Beast magic.

You could kill some stuff on the charge if you get some good spells off, but wouldnt expect to survive long even with toughness 4 and a ward save.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

If you want your spellweaver in combat, you might as well kit her defensively and go for beast magic. Say fencers blades and a good ward. Then you can get 5 strength 6 attacks with savage beast or turn into a monster. Worst case you can get wyssan, so two strength 4 attacks at WS10.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Mtd on T4 is a start. Sadly it then excludes getting say, the Wildfire Blades or Fencer's Blades being a good value (though they still are a value)

Being a Beastmen and Wood Elf player I can tell you the difference between T3 and T5 is monumentally huge.

My question follows that what is your purpose? When I run a combat caster in Beastmen he has the Jagged Dagger so I'm wracking up Power Dice for later in the game. What benefit or aim would you go for to have a caster that still fights worse than a noble?
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Orion
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Orion »

Well, I know that in terms of competitiveness this is a hopeless endeavour.
Still, I like fun builds sometimes, and I would like a stag noble with his awesome sidekick spellweaver to crack some skulls in CC.
Makes sense?
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

One thing about Wood Elves is that we do not spend that much on the magic item allotment on the spellweaver.
The two major pts items that we normally take is the Harp and the Elm Wand, and that depends on our play style or how much points we are willing to spend.

If people is willing to take a Branchwraith for the extra dispel dice, why not do it the other way around take a spellcaster and add a weapon for melee (especially the fencers daggers)?
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino
Dalsgaard
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dalsgaard »

Cool idea!

If you want him as a sidekick, I would go for a utilitybelt that improve your noble chances. Maybe Dawnspear, The other tricksters shard and brooch for protection.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Spellweaver
eagle
ogre Blade
Featherfoe Torc
Annoyance of Nettlings
365/400 points

Of course this Spellweaver would die almost instantaneously outside of a challenge against flyers or models on mounts.
I find it amusing though, a Wood Elf mage sashaying up to a flying Daemon Prince and saying, "Hey chubby, you wanna fight?"
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Shandrakor
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Shandrakor »

Spellweaver: [Lore of Beasts] Fencer's Blades + Talisman of Preservation + (20pts left of Arcane Item or The Other Trickster's Shard)

Anything on WS4 or less hits the Spellweaver on a 5+, everything else on a 4+. 4+ Ward Save and the Spellweaver gets 2 WS10 attacks base, which can be boosted to 5 at S6 with Savage Beast of Horros. That or just swap to a Dragon or Chimera and shred things up with Transformation of Kadon.

Always wanted to give this build a try, but haven't really had a chance yet.
Well, my ideas for the next book turned out to be a bust.
But it was still fun working on something of this scale.
For those who care:
http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=22620
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

if you are simply looking for fun it has to be a Unicorn Weaver. M10 with a cool model to boot!
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
quiestdeus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by quiestdeus »

Shandrakor wrote:Spellweaver: [Lore of Beasts] Fencer's Blades + Talisman of Preservation + (20pts left of Arcane Item or The Other Trickster's Shard)

Anything on WS4 or less hits the Spellweaver on a 5+, everything else on a 4+. 4+ Ward Save and the Spellweaver gets 2 WS10 attacks base, which can be boosted to 5 at S6 with Savage Beast of Horros. That or just swap to a Dragon or Chimera and shred things up with Transformation of Kadon.

Always wanted to give this build a try, but haven't really had a chance yet.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. I have been running this Spellweaver in with wardancers (sometimes with a wardancer noble - opponents only ignore that unit once :D ) and mounted with Wild Riders. I love running her this way, especially with lore of beasts.
Couchmonster
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Couchmonster »

quiestdeus wrote:I have been running this Spellweaver in with wardancers (sometimes with a wardancer noble - opponents only ignore that unit once :D ) and mounted with Wild Riders. I love running her this way, especially with lore of beasts.
Would be interested to know how you're running your WD noble, I can't for the life of me decide how to equip one lol
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

I ran a funny list with these 3 characters:

Spellweaver: level 4 beast, fencers blades, talisman of preservation, Ranu's Heartstone (ETC, so max 5 dice spells)

Wardancer Noble: Potion of Strength, Stone of Rebirth

Wardancer Noble: Moonstone og hidden ways, opal amulet

and 10 wardancers or so

It was a blast, teleported across the battlefield and turned into a firebreathing monster, frying a bunch of phoenix guard. Then I charged them next turn and choose to turn into a mountain chimera! Sadly i didn't get savage beast of horros, would have been nice with ASF wardancer nobles!
bernh
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by bernh »

It is a Treeman Ancient with 4th lvl in new book :)