What the hell happened?

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

What the hell happened?

Postby almundis » 08 Jan 2018, 21:14

Right, so, what?

I used to play WHFB back when it was called that but then life slowly got in the way in between moving houses/cities/lifestyles I fell out of the hobby somewhat. Then today while rooting around in the attic (as you do) i came accross my old necrons and a carnosaur and a dragon and remembered my old money pit. Having sold of most of my armies during my student years i decided to check the website and see what sets were out and about and boy-howdy, i was shocked.

So WHFB is now age of sigmar and everything seems completely different. For one thing i used to play dark elves which are now called something like darklings and under the heading of 'alliance of order'. So this is obviously drastically different to the semi-chaos aligned druchii I once knew. So while i read through the new 3 page rule book I thought I would post on here to see if some helpful so and so could maybe give me an idiots guide to whats happened. What are the key differences? are battles tiny now? Where does one find warscrolls?

I am confuse.

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
almundis
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Re: What the hell happened?

Postby Beithir Seun » 08 Jan 2018, 22:20

Hey Al, nice to see you again...

Needless to say, the woods are pretty quiet these days. I'm not the best person to bring you up to speed with what's gone on and what's changed but the long and short of it is - the Warhammer world as we know it essentially blew up in spectacular fashion during the End Times storyline, ending the game of Warhammer Fantasy as we knew it in the process.

Now, it's become the Age of Sigmar, old allegiances have turned on their heads (basically, all elves are on the same side now...) and the worlds are now built around Realmgates based on the old lores of magic, or something like that. LIke I said, I'm not the best person to explain it as I've not followed anything to do with Age of Sigmar since it was released...

Unfortunately, when Warhammer Fantasy died, so did a lot of the forums, this one included :tear: As for Age of Sigmar, as far as I'm aware, all the stuff you need to play (Rules, Warscrolls etc.) are available for free on the GW website...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
User avatar Content Admin (1) Council Leader (1) LEAF Leader (1) Campaign Team (1)

Postby almundis » 08 Jan 2018, 22:41

Hey BS, nice to see a friendly face. Managed to find the rules (they were fiendlishly hidden underneath the main rules, whoda thunkit) an it seems wierd. like a watered down 40k. But i guess my wallet can breathe a sigh of relief.

Auros Helyanwé
Weapons: 2x hand weapons, longbow, Light Armour
Character stats: M WS BS S T W I A Ld
------------------ 5 5 5 3 3 1 5 3 8
almundis
Wild Hunter
User avatar Wild Hunter

Postby Boskie43 » 09 Jan 2018, 16:52

Hey,

The nearest thing we have to "old" warhammer to play is 9th Age - unless of course you and friends still have/want to play 8th edition!

All the rules for it are free on the website: https://www.the-ninth-age.com/

Game is ok. Not 100% warhammer itself anymore but it's the most similar of all rank/file systems.

And welcome back to arguably the most silent of all the old warhammer websites!
Boskie43
Newcomer
Newcomer

Return to The Hall of Discussion