Sylvaneth cometh

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aben Zin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Sylvaneth cometh

Post by Aben Zin »

I too quite like the Kurnoth Hunters (may get some to use as treekin, depending on how big they actually are), but overall I think they're just too... alien. I guess this is the new direction GW are taking them, but it's not one I'm keep on.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I liked the 'free-form' style but I'm glad that some structure will be added soon. The best part is that after a year of no points to kick things off, the community should be familiar enough with the concept so as not to be trapped in a single 'battle-line' style of play. It's the best of both worlds. We can strive for balance or just play however we want.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I suppose the other awesome thing about GW releases is that there will be more units with rules so if your not happy with the new kits then go ahead and customise them or build proxy stuff.

They've definitely gone down a more demonic path with the tree spirit things, not sure how a Unicorn would stand up next to some of them but really excited about the new kits. The futures bright, the futures GREEN :D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
funkyfellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by funkyfellow »

The Kurnous Hunters are my favorite and easily can fit into an existing army regardless of system.
I personally love the Arielle model and it looks super easy to magnetize her onto the beetle, I then plan on using her as a mage on eagle if solo or a treeman ancient if on the beetle. The revenants look like a great option if you play 9th age for ranked dryads since they have command models, you could do sweet unit fillers using a combination of left over parts, dryads, dark elf warlocks, vampire spirit hosts, & trees/logs. Drychas tree body is great, just the whole mech thing is kinda a silly, I plan on using left over treeman bits + green stuff to turn her into a giant dryad or "tree woman", if I can I want to salvage drychas smaller body to use as part of a unit filler.

Cheers
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I'm hoping that the points will bring back disenfranchised 8th players. This community needs a jump start. I still enjoy the narrative play though, points will always disappoint people obsessed with balance.
AoS is the greatest!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

That's the Sylvaneth up for pre order now!!! I think I'll get myself some of those dice... along with everything else.... :D
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

*Sigh*
Want to like it, but can't ...

There's NOTHING elven to it. Only Nature and Monster.
Even the expensive new Alarielle is looking like a human and not elven at all ...

I don't like the currently produced look at all. All Hyper and most importantly different it seems.

I started with the 3rd Edition Elves and I liked the elven look even though back then those were not as detailed metal Minis.
I REALLY liked the 8th Edition Minis they produced. Very Elven. Just too Short-Lived a Release in the End.
This looks like the Leftovers of that release.

Sorry. Nnnngh - No, still don't like it.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:I'm hoping that the points will bring back disenfranchised 8th players. This community needs a jump start. I still enjoy the narrative play though, points will always disappoint people obsessed with balance.
I'm still with the community and am grateful Asrai.org still lives. :nod:

But I'm also still "disenfranchised". I'm willing to play 3rd to 8th Edition or the 9th Age - That's a nice Sylvan Elves Armybook Release for 9th Age by the way.
So I'm not really picky.
Age of Sigmar never got me excited at all from the aesthetic or narrative Aspect and won't with or without points. For me that's not the point ... :D
And the new "Sylvaneth" Release doesn't help in this regard as stated above also.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Don't forget though this is but one aspect, we still have The Wanderers Wood elf faction to come!

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Turin wrote:
But I'm also still "disenfranchised". I'm willing to play 3rd to 8th Edition or the 9th Age - That's a nice Sylvan Elves Armybook Release for 9th Age by the way.
So I'm not really picky.
Age of Sigmar never got me excited at all from the aesthetic or narrative Aspect and won't with or without points. For me that's not the point ... :D
And the new "Sylvaneth" Release doesn't help in this regard as stated above also.
The game play is top notch now and we can shoot into combat! We'll have new models coming too I'm sure, but for now our model line looks great and GW will have a hard time revamping it. AoS is a great game and with point based balance system you can choose to use or ignore, I don't how someone would feel disenfranchised.

As a disclaimer, I always made up my own lore so the realm gate storyline never bothered me.
AoS is the greatest!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Not forgetting that the Warscroll compendium can still be downloaded and used! You can still playing the Old World using these rules!

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Exactly Cernunnos, no one is forcing you to play with the new fluff. Governor Trojanoak is still the duly elected representative of the Golden Glades, and the importance of his diplomatic missions will ALWAYS keep him and his entourage busy.

I really disliked the 8th edition rules, mainly the magic and how ridiculous it was to spend so much time painting models only to remove them on account of a nuke spell that isn't even physically represented.

I know that the 9th age tried to address this problem, but from what I saw it was still going to be an issue (haven't played the game, not going to lie).

Anyway the game mechanics in AoS are exactly what I've been wanting, and the General's Handbook has fixed every issue that the community had concern with. Summoning is fixed (models are kept in reserve untill summoned), magic is useful but not game breaking (d3 mortal wounds is fair), combat is strategic and fun (build any formation, roll off for turn order) and the game is open enough to play any scenario you are creative enough to invent (slay the dragon, Remember the Alamo, Escape the forest, are a few I enjoy).
AoS is the greatest!
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:AoS is a great game and with point based balance system you can choose to use or ignore, I don't how someone would feel disenfranchised.
Hmm. Looking at your Join Date you might not be able to see my side of this.
I basically started Woodelves 1988 in 3rd Edition (Joined Asrai when created 2005 and was on the previous Site Waystone before that)...
I grew with Warhammer, liked things, hated others, but I always could come back to the basics, stats, World Background... It's basically the game of the last 30 years for me. And that's a lot of time for one human.

I really feel a bit hit in the head by the way GW finished End Times off, it was a bit of a dump on the streets.
World gone, Stats gone and a feeling of not being wanted anymore.
I don't need a Game to live my life, I just liked to continue with it and spend quite some $ on it.

Now It's basically a new Game (and in the core something that was cheaply done and needs a lot of reworking for my taste) and _if_ I want a new one I don't think I'll continue with a company that has lost it's connection to the old customers.
Yes, this General's Handbook seems to row back in the right direction. But to me that's not a wonderful new implementation, it's a darn "Sorry, we want you and your money back"...

Yes, maybe cool for everybody who wanted Change or was new, but for everybody else End Times was a hell of a "F*** off!"
Managers never seem to grasp that customers will not come back as easily from something like that.

See ? Still like Minis, still like the old Warhammer - but now have a Dwarf-Sized Grudge that won't be easily settled by the company and a disconnection to the current flow of Things and Aesthetics I don' really like.I could easily just call it quits, but hang around for the basic fun and friends.
AoS currently is no part of this.

Can you now understand both sides ?
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Turin wrote:Can you now understand both sides ?
Yeah End Times was bad, and I can understand your stance on the new fluff and aesthetic. I'm not a fan of it either. It is a 'high fantasy' face-lift to try and bring in younger players, I prefer the more gritty 'sword and sorcery' aesthetic of the old world as well. That being said, fluff has never been more then a guide: it holds no barring on your models.

What is most important to me is the game play, and although my experience is limited to only the 7th and 8th edition rules, AoS feels vastly superior in my opinion.

The sigmarines are definitely ridiculous looking, but no one can kill off an entire army with a single spell anymore. (Happened to me twice. Once to a big block via 'dweller's below', and once to an MSU army via 'winds of death')

That actually did make me call it quits for over a year.
AoS is the greatest!
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

Thanks for understanding !

Yeah, I can understand your side, too. And it's cool as long as you and your friends enjoy it !
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

Alarielle 'Thunderthighs' - The rhinocerous beetle idea could have been good, it just looks too much forced into the newer Treeman design and looks just too alien to work for me - it would fit better in a Tyranid army.
Alarielle just looks like a Stormcast Eternal with green paint instead of gold bits and very powerful legs. I can't help but miss our King and Queen in the Wood even more with this release.

Drycha looks like a mash up conversion that someone might have done on here. I'd have liked that, coming from the big GW it just seems lazy.

I quite like the Branchwych model, I'm not totally sold on tree spirits actually holding weapons, I think that seems odd to me as they can shapeshift, but I like the scythe and overall it looks like a cool WE model.

Same thing with those Kournos hunters, I quite like them, they're the update Treekin needed, but preferably without the excessive swords. The faces look a bit too cartoonish grimace, but nice beefy models though, if I ever buy a GW model again I might buy these.

The Spite and Tree Revs are the same as Drycha, lazy sticking of one model on top of another and filling the gaps. The Spites look like the worst Slaanesh models (ie. when they got scared by bewbs), but the Tree ones at least look more dynamic because the long hair on the elf part adds a bit of movement, the weapons are more nicely posed and they look slightly more elfishly sinister.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Hey man, thunder thighs are sexy
AoS is the greatest!
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Hey man, thunder thighs are sexy
:thumbsup: Amazons for the win :P
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
bark
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by bark »

just want to add some of my thoughts about the new models here.
especially conversion/improvement ideas :cool:

in general i really like the release. some bits i like more, some less. just my opinion.

alarielle, is the model i like the least, so start with her.
the whole concept doesn´t really works for me. the big bug looks just to oversuperhighfantasy, that i have no idea to make it look better.
alarielle is ok, but not really elvish enough.
what i like is the fluff-bit "when she flies somewhere the bug is transformed into some smaller ones flying after her, and is then transformed back when she lands"
THAT might be a cool project to built.

drycha is a pretty cool model, someone im my hobby group called her "the treecybot".
the only thing i would and will change when i get the model are honeycomb holes in her bark.
just filling with greenstuff and smoothing again.
the little critters could be magentized easily so i can use both if i want.

the hunters are cool as they are, i think the cartoonish look results a lot due to the paintscheme. just to colourful. the look of the sword wielding guys is just awesome, but gamewise the bow dudes might be the better setup.

the line models are ok, rules are good as well. but a bit expensive on the money side. but i think you can built one type of them, then use the leftover bits and dryad-bodies to built the other setup.

bark