Age of Sigmar to get points system

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Age of Sigmar to get points system

Post by Jezandu »

So fresh news from Games Workshop is that come the summer there will be an option to use points for tournaments as well as narrative rules and open play. GW paid close attention to the games at the South Coast Grand Tournament which used there own point system and I wouldn't be surprised if this adopted.

Good news for a games system that has a difficult birth and hopefully the survival of the asrai.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Re: Age of Sigmar to get points system

Post by LadyLoec »

I've been following the ensuing storm on facebook. AoS players mostly seem to be against the move, and the old cohort just aren't interested.

The front page of their website is selling what looks like fantasy orcs with mega armour (I actually dread to think what new "aelves" will look like), so for me, at least, the game is already beyond saving. The community has splintered into 8th/T9A/KoW/AoS, and everyone seems to be pretty happy where they've landed, so it would take something really radical to put it back together. Adding points costs that most AoS players have already self-imposed through wound-count isn't radical enough to bring most of us back.

Just my 2 cents. It might bring a few lurkers out of the woodwork, I suppose. Just don't make me watch when they bring out wood elves with bolters.
Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

If they get it right it will be a good thing. While I am enjoying the game, the lack of a points system is a pain in the butt for me. I usually play in the Edinburgh store after work and with fantasy there was a set points limit each month so I knew i could always get a game that would be fair (ish). Reacenly they've been going off wounds and it's not working. For example when I bring my Beastmen army along, there is no way in hell that 20 Bestigor are worth the same as 4 Dracoth knights, sorry just nope.

On the other hand, before the introduction of the order book my warband of waywatchers, shadowdancer and wardancers was dominating the table with ease. For those of us playing pickup games this will be a real help.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

The main thing putting me off AoS is the loss of square bases and the concomitant effects on how units play and look.

Can't see them changing that.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I hope the narratives and home-brewed scenarios live on after the introduction of points. Most players never really got over the point system so I'm not sure if the new game style will persevere.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
jm_ellis
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by jm_ellis »

Phil Rossiter wrote:The main thing putting me off AoS is the loss of square bases and the concomitant effects on how units play and look.

Can't see them changing that.
How does the game play with square bases? I understand it's possible, but is it more cumbersome or create problems?

Thanks. Been away for quite some time, haven't played since 7th ed. Was sad to see Asrai.org was going away, then immediately glad to see it's not! Toying with the idea of checking out AoS, but I certainly won't be rebasing my army.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

I've not played AoS.

My understanding is that tournaments tend to prefer round bases but that may not be an issue for non-tournament play. The impression I've had from reading posts by AoS players is that units can still pack quite tightly when required but can move more fluidly otherwise. But in a way, some of the tactical attraction of games like 8th, 9th Age and KoW is that units are constrained, working within limitations has it's virtues.

Mainly though, it's the look of the thing.
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

My little gaming group have fully embraced the AoS gameplay. I remain playing my Woodies, with all of the Old World fluff and it's great.
We have fun with the narrative battles,which we have almost turned into a D&D style approach.

It was never a power gaming environment, we just want to enjoy. It's great not having the "Core Tax" of 8th as we have been using some awesomely thematic lists.
The introduction of points will help tremendously though. Sometimes people underestimate how powerful their units actually are, and wounds clearly aren't an even match.
*I'm looking at you Draccoth Knights" :roll:

I hope they include the older warscroll, but my group have agreed that we will comparison price together for fairness.

Orion, the Eternal King in the Woods ;)
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Slobber »

LadyLoec wrote: The front page of their website is selling what looks like fantasy orcs with mega armour (I actually dread to think what new "aelves" will look like), so for me, at least, the game is already beyond saving. The community has splintered into 8th/T9A/KoW/AoS, and everyone seems to be pretty happy where they've landed, so it would take something really radical to put it back together. Adding points costs that most AoS players have already self-imposed through wound-count isn't radical enough to bring most of us back.

Just my 2 cents. It might bring a few lurkers out of the woodwork, I suppose. Just don't make me watch when they bring out wood elves with bolters.

Yeah I saw those "Orcs" too, and I shuddered. AoS seems to have a very 40K feel to it and I haven't been a fan of many of the new models. Which is a shame as the last few FB armies released had some of the best fantasy miniatures I've seen to date. (looking at you sisters of the thorn) Sadly nether 9th age nor KoW held the attention of my group locally. We've been making due with Malifaux.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard