Speculation on "New" elf models

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Speculation on "New" elf models

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Most of the woodelf/highelf/darkelf models have been discontinued. Wondering what the future will hold for GW, AoS, and our favorite forest-dwelling/hunter-gathering/guerrilla-tacticians.

The Fyre-Slayers are notably more fantastic then the 'lower-fantasy' dwarfs of old. They fight mostly naked, wearing gold ornaments and feathered head pieces. They've changed from industrialists into savages.

So what of the elves? Will they become the engineers of the future, sporting high tech gadgets, or regress into troglodytes and cannibals?
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Re: Speculation on "New" elf models

Post by Cernunnos »

All the rumours I've been hearing all point to the fact, that certainly for a good while we're not getting new Aelfs, The Fireslayers although savage, are no more naked than the old slayers, they're jsut one big sub sect, looking at the leaks for the Grand alliance book, all the "normal dwarfs" are still pretty much there apart from some warmachines and slayers.
Looking at how much we were gutted, I'm not so sure we will be changing that much from the newer plastics that came out, or for that matter that we will be getting new models, sadly.
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

8th Forever!

I'm curious what will come in the future, but we're not playing AOS much in m area and have stuck with 8th, so new units don't matter too much, unless we make up rules for them!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:8th Forever!
Yess!

Though I am still holding out a little hope for something new, even if it's only conversion potential to bolster my 8th ed elves. They seem to be big on the beasties and monstrous cav... Maybe unicorn cav or something? (I've just started converting up a new heavens mage on a unicorn, so will be equal parts happy and seething if this happens)
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

One thing I am wondering about, the Wild Riders (who did "survive" the cuts) still have mention of Orion on their Call of the Hunt ability. This appears even in the latest warscrolls in the Age of Sigmar app (where they're called "Wanderers" instead of Wood Elves). Orion, as we all know, was cut. So will they be changing that ability to work with a different named character/hero, or could there eventually be a return of Orion (probably not :cry:)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

:thumbsup:

The new elves, whenever they come, might be a bit big. But there are always other manufacturers of course.
Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Duraska - you need to delete you wild rider scroll on the app and reload it. You'll find that it has a picture and in the description the Orion rules have been dropped.
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

Jezandu wrote:Duraska - you need to delete you wild rider scroll on the app and reload it. You'll find that it has a picture and in the description the Orion rules have been dropped.
Bummer. Thanks for the heads-up! Wish they'd gotten a replacement ability...
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Yes! But only with the 6th Wood Elf book for me.

If we're guessing at what the new 'Elf' models will be like, I think a good place to start might be the 8th edition Wood Elf releases (the most recent elf models GW has released so far). I'd expect the AoS Elf models to take a lot of design cues from them. I'd also expect them to take some hints from the Eldar aesthetic in 40k, given how AoS looks to be attempting to import some concepts from that setting.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

6th edition army-book was good, but the AoS game mechanics are pretty great. They've dropped the pretense of balance and gone with objectives and victory points. Battle-Line is done, 8th edition is also done. This site really needs to segregate between games.
AoS is the greatest!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Kakapo42 wrote:I'd expect the AoS Elf models to take a lot of design cues from them.
I feel they will be substantially bigger and chunkier, to fit the AoS aesthetic.
Nicholas Nitro wrote:8th edition is also done.
Unless you're one of the many gamers currently playing it.

:)
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Phil Rossiter wrote:
Nicholas Nitro wrote:8th edition is also done.
Unless you're one of the many gamers currently playing it.

:)
Not getting any new models for 8th edition anytime soon.
AoS is the greatest!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

For some players this is important. For some it isn't.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

This thread is about new elf models, we aren't talking about 8th edition.
AoS is the greatest!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

If the thread had said, AoS only or somesuch, players of other games would probably have stayed away. But the initial post comes across as talking about GW, AoS and Wood Elves in general. Many players don't play AoS but do buy from GW and do play Wood Elves. The discontinuing of the old ranges affects most people. Besides which, some players have drawn up rules for using Stormcasts etc in 8th or other games and some will look to adapt the AoS elves for other games.

I've got no beef with AoS, it's great that a lot of guys enjoy playing it.
Last edited by Phil Rossiter on 07 Apr 2016, 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
Spiney
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnia, Orcs & Goblins

Post by Spiney »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:This thread is about new elf models, we aren't talking about 8th edition.
It can surely be about both, a dwarf player could, for example, buy some of the new fyreslayer berserkers, mount them on square bases and use them as 8th ed slayers for example and there is nothing to stop a chaos player using blood warriors as Khorne chosen or blood reavers as marauders.

For example if they came out with a really nice new plastic dragon kit that would work as a forest dragon with a bit of conversion or a new plastic treekin set I'd be all over them whatever the price. I am wondering if they might do a new plastic unit similar to wardancers when it's elves turn to be done, they were one of my favourite elf unit concepts, and being as they are really just a fantasy version of harlequins so it's not like they're completely out of mind.
“The Time of the White Chill and the White Light is nigh, the Time of Madness and the Time of Contempt”
- Prophecy of Ithlinne
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Spiney wrote:
Nicholas Nitro wrote:This thread is about new elf models, we aren't talking about 8th edition.
It can surely be about both, a dwarf player could, for example, buy some of the new fyreslayer berserkers, mount them on square bases and use them as 8th ed slayers for example and there is nothing to stop a chaos player using blood warriors as Khorne chosen or blood reavers as marauders.

For example if they came out with a really nice new plastic dragon kit that would work as a forest dragon with a bit of conversion or a new plastic treekin set I'd be all over them whatever the price. I am wondering if they might do a new plastic unit similar to wardancers when it's elves turn to be done, they were one of my favourite elf unit concepts, and being as they are really just a fantasy version of harlequins so it's not like they're completely out of mind.
Although these hypothetical new models maybe used in 8th/ 9th, I think the topic is based on current A.o.S system only. Like I said earlier, can't see any aelfs being done for quite some time... and we just "got" a new unit with sisters of the Watch...

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

This site really needs to segregate between games.
AoS is the greatest!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:This site really needs to segregate between games.
Very good idea!

Avian
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avian »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:This site really needs to segregate between games.
Agreed, Herdstone did it and it works really well.