Some Wood Elves Being Eliminated!

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Some Wood Elves Being Eliminated!

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

On Games Workshop website, some Wood Elves are showing with the red skull of "last chance to buy" and will likely move there tomorrow/Saturday.

- Twilight Sisters of Forest Dragon
- Treekin
- Orion
- Glade Riders
- Wardancer Command
- Wardancers
- Warhawk Rider
- Great Eagle
- Waywatchers
- Mounted Glade Lord
- Shadowdancer
- Wood Elf BSB

This is in addition to the two Glade Lords already sold out!

The unit elimination is happening across the board for Order-aligned armies.
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Re: Some Wood Elves Being Eliminated!

Post by Cernunnos »

Expanded list on my post. This is a huge gutting for our army, I knew it was coming, but the scale is staggering, same for high and dark too!
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

I had feared this was on the horizon, so went and 'panic bought' £290 worth of models last week. I was really hoping I was just being a pessimist. :cry:
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Jeez... I've just been and looked. An absolute ton of elves, empire and dwarfs in there
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

In the words of Deckard Cain in the Diablo 3 trailer, "It has begun."

It's heartbreaking to see so many incredible Warhammer models go into the night, but their days were numbered the moment AoS was released.

Fortunately I'm well supplied with amazing Wood Elf models. I amassed a stockpile of them shortly after first getting into Warhammer Fantasy due to fears that they might be discontinued (which left me thoroughly vindicated after the 8th edition release, since I wasn't really fond of any of the 8th edition replacements), and so to this day I am the proud owner of at least one of almost every single Wood Elf model from the 6th/7th edition range (all I'm missing are a couple of character models), which should tide me over for the time being.

My one regret is never picking up one of the Male Spellsinger models (the one wearing horns that's levitating). In hindsight it appears that I might have liked that model even more than I thought I did at the time...
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by LadyLoec »

Sold out:
Glade lord on eagle
Glade lord on stag
Wardancer command
Wood elf BSB
Shadowdancer
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Kakapo42 wrote:It's heartbreaking to see so many incredible Warhammer models go into the night,
At least there's Ebay.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I'm just glad that I've finished my army.. just have to paint about 1/3 of it.

Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Those that play AoS may have noticed we've gained a new unit. Sisters of avelorn are now Susters of the watch and have the Wanderer key word. So better firepower than glade guard.....makes them a bit redundant really. Also glade lords now have a better save.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Guess that makes up for the loss of way watchers!
Am I right in thinking that even with the new G.A order, we can still use the wood elves army scroll instead??

Jezandu
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Jezandu »

Yes we can. I can see them vanishing eventually but they still have the wanderer key word so you can still use them happily. Even waywatchers. One is already missing though and that is that spellweavers don't have steeds. I have a copy of the warscroll with it on and I'll still use that.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I'm not so sure they will go, I think it's their way of saying that no army is defunct; you still have the original army scroll..
I had to check, yes my mage still has the horse listed on the scroll too! :D

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Wow we did get gutted. Poor Bretonnia lost everything except the pdf!
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

not only us, but also the High and Dark Elves too! let alone the Dwarfs! Not going to get G.A. Order,
I personally will only use the original army scroll that first appeared. Those are wood elves in A.o.S for me. any formations etc, I can buy from the A.o.S app..

yesilderya
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by yesilderya »

probably they set the table for new WE, dwarf and bretonnian releases. The rules are free and comes with each model type. They cannot expect everybody to play khorne or fantasy marines (stormcasts)
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I do hope that we'll get some new models, but I'm not holding my breath for them, can't believe they got rid of Sisters, that was a beautiful model.

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I'm surprised the Glade Guard survived the cut, but I'm glad they did. They really are the 'core' shooters of our army and they are good looking models too.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Let's be honest, AoS doesn't have any place for a lot of the units that used to be core filler in your army, and it doesn't have any room for overlap between models, since you can easily just include other factions' units in your army if you want them with the new Order vs. Chaos arrangement.

Treekin are a poor model and Sylvaneth will likely get a replacement of some sort.
Twilight Sisters don't exist any more, and if you want a dragon rider the HEs have you covered.
Orion is dead too.
Wardancers might be getting new models, since their current models are hideous. I wouldn't be surprised to see new ones sometime soon, unless they are getting rid of the concept entirely. Considering they were crap at what they were supposed to do, no large loss either way.
Warhawks overlap with the HE flying cavalry, which aren't being eliminated. Use your current models as counts-as.
Great Eagles have an atrocious metal model that may have been sculpted by someone who has never seen a real eagle before, so it's not a huge loss to see it go.
Waywatchers is a sad thing to lose, their models are really great. I hope they are being resculpted - but it's more likely that they overlap too heavily with the Shadow Warriors in the Swifthawk Agents (same goes for the great eagles and the warhawks, really). Use as counts-as if you have them, or buy them cheap from the internet or other stores. They will end up as commodities, most likely, given how pretty they are.
Mounted Glade Lord is okay to lose, his model is neat but no one ever fielded him. :P
BSB is just not necessary in AoS, so not surprised to see it go either.

In all, not a terrible loss except for maybe the Waywatchers, who have great diversity and sculpts. We're getting Sisters of Avelorn (renamed, of course) into the Wanderers roster, so there's a place to use your Waywatcher models if you want to! I've always wanted to field those magic arrow ladies anyway, so it's a net positive to have them in the list at this point.

So, in summation, there are a lot of places where you'll be able to use your discontinued models as counts-as, since lists are pretty much open in AoS amongst your faction, so you can plunk a few other units from other Order factions in using your models and say 'this is a unit of these guys' and it should be fine.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

overtninja wrote: Wardancers might be getting new models, since their current models are hideous. I wouldn't be surprised to see new ones sometime soon, unless they are getting rid of the concept entirely. Considering they were crap at what they were supposed to do, no large loss either way.
Mounted Glade Lord is okay to lose, his model is neat but no one ever fielded him. :P
I loved the wardancer models, much better than the dancing Elvis of the previous incarnation...
As for the mounted Glade Lord, I used him a lot actually, gave my glade riders a boost. :D

overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

I have a bunch of wardancer models, and it's always bothered me how weird their faces were, how their poses were awkward, and how thin and oddly-shaped their bodies were. They look really flat from the side, and their proportions are bogus. I won't really miss them, excepting that I loved sending them into clanrats and stuff and seeing my opponents' eyes bug out during wound generation. :p Otherwise, crap unit almost all the time!

I dig the Glade Lord Rider too, and I'll probably still field him with my Metal Hair Band Wild Riders (the old metal sculpts), because his bark armor and wood shield are boss as hell.
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

This is a hard time for Wood Elf collectors, and while it's easy to just look at AoS and be like, "it sucks," doing that won't bring the old army back.

I agree with pretty much everything overtninja said. Like it or not, AoS is the future for GW, and when you view things under the light of AoS (and a struggling company), it makes sense to phase out the older (metal, finecast) models, as well as many of the named characters.

That said, I really will miss some of the models. I regret not getting an Orion, and I regret not having more waywatchers, warhawk riders, and wardancers. I'll be honest, I won't really miss the treekin, or great eagles, but I can understand how it must hurt for players who will continue playing 8th ed only. Lots of models can be found on eBay, but the prices are high right now.

As a side-note, I think it's kind of interesting they kept the Branchwraith model for the Sylvaneth srmy. Isn't that model finecast? I personally never cared for it that much. I think it will be neat to see what they get in place of treekin (if anything). Maybe a crazy new Alarielle model or something.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Duraska wrote: it must hurt for players who will continue playing 8th ed only
Or 9th Age. But there are other manufacturers of course and as you say Duraska, Ebay for the bits they simply must have.
Athriel
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Athriel »

Whelp I've been considering coming back to play again and was utterly shocked by this AoS business.

Anyway, I would love to have a bitz-mashing / conversion thread where some of our more adventurous members could experiment and figure out the best ways to keep these units alive :)
LiveWaaaaagh
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by LiveWaaaaagh »

Athriel wrote:Whelp I've been considering coming back to play again and was utterly shocked by this AoS business.

Anyway, I would love to have a bitz-mashing / conversion thread where some of our more adventurous members could experiment and figure out the best ways to keep these units alive :)
Many of us still playing 8th edition!
Live Warhammer Content.

Visit LiveWaaaaagh.com
Follow us on Twitch - Twitch.tv/livewaaaaagh

Live 8th Edition games, painting sessions, Blood Bowl II, Total War: Warhammer and more!
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

LiveWaaaaagh wrote:Many of us still playing 8th edition!
I played a tournament a few weeks ago, another one next month.