Mage on a unicorn in 9th

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

ikken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Mage on a unicorn in 9th

Post by ikken »

so I have always liked the idea of a mage on a unicorn but there has always been 2 problems , 1 in 8th a mage on a unicorn could not get protection from LOS and was thus a sitting duck , 2 a mage on a unicorn was not a model that was easy to find .

now in 9th age a mage on a unicorn can join a group of cavalry and benefits from LOS so is not as vulnerable as she was previously .

Reaper bones series make a nice unicorn for a very affordable price and it is not hard to convert a sisters rider to go on it .

the only suggestion I would make to 9th age designers is that the unicorn should be on a 25 x 50 base as the reaper model fits perfectly on one . the 50x50 base is not needed and pointless . but that is my 2 cents worth .

has anyone tried a mage on a unicorn ?
for 60 points it makes the mage much tougher T4 with 3 wounds M10 and gives her MR 2 + 2 s5 magic attacks in CC .
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Mage on a unicorn in 9th

Post by Billthesurly »

I used that very same Reaper Unicorn that you have to be talking about. I even used the pre-painted one and then mounted an old Brettonian Damsel figure on it. The figure looks great and is very wallet friendly to boot.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Wesser
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Wesser »

I just used Morathi without the wings and leafed her up.

As for viability in 9th. Mounted characters currently stink in 9th. Any unit she joins Will lose Reform, which is pretty awful. The Great Stag rider Can Be used as an expensive cruise missile.. But the Unicorn is awful atm.. But is pending a redo
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Presumably you could unit hop?

Ie move the cavalry (with free reforms) then move the character into them for protection. Next turn move the character out (possibly into another unit, not sure here), then move the original unit (with free reforms).