Winter themed basing help

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Zhorphorus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Winter themed basing help

Post by Zhorphorus »

Hello all. I was hoping for some modelling, but more accurately, basing tips and help as I've got quite a good winter colour scheme going on at the minute and am stuck on how to do the bases.

I know what I want them to look like. I want them to look like the forest floor from Assassin's Creed 3 when it's wintery. http://thegamershub.com/wp-content/uplo ... Forest.jpg

So this entails thickish snow, some dead bushes, possibly some trees on bigger models/eagles. Does anyone know good ways to get this effect?

I recently bought some leafless bushes from ebay that are primarily used for model train sets and was hoping to trim them down and spray them, then cover them in a light dusting of snow but now they've arrived I'm a bit unsure again. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/271585560267? ... EBIDX%3AIT

I know it'll probably all look stupid until the finished project, just like most painting does, but I'm just worried about wasting money/time. I live in the UK for delivery purposes if you do recommend anything bought online for extras.

Thanks in advance,
Zhorphorus.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Winter themed basing help

Post by Billthesurly »

I have heard of people using sand (too grainy), Christmas tree flock (too loose), thick house-paint (blobby) , plaster (it cracks) and painted wood filler putty. One guy even used sugar! (Not recommended.)

I recommend looking online. Google "winter miniature basing" and you will get a host of ideas including a 40K tutorial on youtube. There ought to be several threads concerning this here in the meadow of arts as well.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Winter themed basing help

Post by Rogue Sun »

1 part PVA Glue + 1 Part Water + 1 Part white paint + 2 Parts Baking soda. Mix it into a paste and brush it on.