Ideas for new Wood Elves AoS - Formation

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Archeos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ideas for new Wood Elves AoS - Formation

Post by Archeos »

Hello !
Since now the Sylvaneth are a separate and independent army, with their own formation, the Wood Elves (Wanderers) only have one formation left.

So i was thinking that a thematic formation about the "Wild hunt" will be nice to see and play, with same special rules background related.

What do you think will be the best unit choice or synergy? Witch special rules you would like to see ;) ?
popisdead
Former Council Member

Re: Ideas for new Wood Elves AoS - Formation

Post by popisdead »

Archeos wrote:Since now the Sylvaneth are a separate and independent army, with their own formation,
I'm not sure how getting a formation makes them separate and independent when they are literally in the same army book. Minotuars, Gors and Ungors all got their own formations in the Beastmen book and no one is saying Minotaurs are a separate and independent army from Beastmen.

If you wanted to play the Wild Hunt Orion adds some nice synergy to Wild Riders. If you read the army book PDF you'll see things pop out that naturally benefit other units.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

The Wild Hunt

Orion
2 hounds
2 units of Wild Riders
1 unit of Sisters of the Thorn
1 unit of Wild wood Rangers

Maybe the abilities would include bonuses to attacking Monsters and/or models with 5 wounds or over, as they would be prized game for the Hunt.
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Hi Gwill,

I like the above; but think it would benefit from a unit or two of the hounds, also this allows you to raise more Hounds, which I think will help in redirection/chaff hunting etc.
the_red_Dane
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by the_red_Dane »

popisdead wrote:
Archeos wrote:Since now the Sylvaneth are a separate and independent army, with their own formation,
I'm not sure how getting a formation makes them separate and independent when they are literally in the same army book. Minotuars, Gors and Ungors all got their own formations in the Beastmen book and no one is saying Minotaurs are a separate and independent army from Beastmen.

If you wanted to play the Wild Hunt Orion adds some nice synergy to Wild Riders. If you read the army book PDF you'll see things pop out that naturally benefit other units.
No, Sylvaneth and Wood elves are seperated into two groups, both on GW website and in the AoS app. There isen't really an "army book" any more after all, and the fluff also states that the Sylvaneth aren't really fond of any one (except Alarielle, who is their goddess) Just go to http://www.games-workshop.com/en-DK/Warhammer and check under factions, Wood elves have no Sylvaneth and Sylvaneth has no wood elves.

Now, as for AoS formation ideas? I like the wild ride, base it around speed? So Wild riders, glade Riders, Hawk riders? And perhaps War dancers? Or just make it a purely mounted formation, except for Orion if he is part of it.
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

There's obviously not an official formation for "The Wild Hunt," though I love the idea. You can already sort of do it though by using the warscrolls you're talking about, because they kind of have a synergy already:

Orion synergizes with the Hounds (can summon them), and has a command ability that allows re-rolling to-wound rolls of 1.
Glade Lord on a Great Stag synergizes with Wild Riders, increasing their charge range by 4" (which is awesome)
Wild Riders synergize with Orion, if they're within 18" of Orion they dont take battleshock tests
Wildwood Rangers wound on 3+, and with Orion's ability, they can re-roll 1's, meaning only a result of 2 is a failure to wound.

That's pretty strong synergy right there.

I would say, from previous edition's fluff, the Sisters of the Thorn don't fit quite as well, but I think they'd still do wonders for The Wild Hunt. Cast their Shield of Thorns on Wild Riders and you can re-roll failed saves, and if your save roll + modifiers = 6 or more, they cause a mortal wound to the enemy unit. Bring a spellweaver on a horse and put a Mystic shield on those Wild Riders: now they effectively make their saves on 4+ (4+1=5, 5+1=6, 6+1=7) and a save roll of a 5 or 6 causes a mortal wound (if they have Shield of Thorns on them).

If you wanted to create a home-brewed Formation from the Wild Hunt, I would probably lean toward something similar to the existing Wood Elves formation. Being able to ambush into the battle from any side of the board. This can be super strong, and it reflects pretty well on the fluff of how the Wild Hunt used to pour unexpectedly out of Athel Loren each Spring, and overwhelm any villages unlucky enough to be along their route.
Archeos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Archeos »

This is really a very good idea for a thematic "Wild Hunt" formation. In a standard game (average 60 wounds) we could use:

1 Lord on Great Stag / Orion + hounds
1 mounted Spellweaver
2 units of Wild Riders
1 unit of Sisters of the Thorn
1 unit of Rangers
1 unit of Glade riders / Waywatcher (for same long range support)
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Orion (has to be there, of course) + Hounds (and summoning ofc)
or Lord on Great Stag
2 units of WR
2 units of GR
1 unit of Warhawk Riders

2 out of 3 units can deliver arrows.

I don't feel the Sisters belong in the Wild Hunt... Sorry
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.