9th Age

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: 9th Age

Post by Billthesurly »

If they take away everything that made the Wood Elf army THE WOOD ELF ARMY I shall simply pass on 9th age as well. I and my friends can still play 8th ed as we have ironed out most of the bugs ourselves.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

The 9th Age team are very responsive to criticism. The armies are very much still being worked on. If you have feedback, to take it T9A forum - they will take it on board.
Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

To be honest i kind of like it.

but for the moment i am mostly waiting to see which direction they are finally going with wood elves.
There only seems to be one arrow left to use, which mean i wont be fielding waywatchers if it stays like that.

Also can anyone tell me why they removed swiftshiver arrows entirely?

finally one joke, that anti daemon/undead arrows is actually perfectly suited to killing dryads, since they got daemonics and flammable.
Giladis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Giladis »

Niedfaru wrote:The 9th Age team are very responsive to criticism. The armies are very much still being worked on. If you have feedback, to take it T9A forum - they will take it on board.
I can't stress this enough. The more input we get from the community the wider the experience base we can use while working on the new books. Also based on what has been revealed and for the High Elves, what is already known for Beastmen and what others and I are doing for the Tomb Kings you guys shouldn't fear about the loss of flavour in the final Army Book.
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

Girls and Guys,

There's a pre-beta Version of Sylvan Elves on the 9th Age forum. If you are interested, take a peek.
Please, leave a comment about what you like and what you don't. Give us some good advice. We would like to hear your comments and criticism.

9th Age Link: http://www.the-ninth-age.com/news/

Sylvan Elves sub-forum Link: http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php/ ... van-Elves/

Pre-beta Armybook version Link: http://www.the-ninth-age.com/index.php/ ... a-version/
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Under "Elvish Archer" it says "One Elvish Archer unit in the army may upgrade..."
So one unit can have magic arrows and skirmish? That is a pretty major limitation if I am reading it correctly?

Looks like that restriction doesn't apply to the "Elvish Horse Archers" though. That's a weird distinction.

Still no magic arrows for the Eagle Riders? Maybe the 'Forest Prince' is punishing them for their privilege?

Now I'm looking at the "Paths of Magic" and forget it. Purple Sun! Dwellers Below!

Game over spells are the biggest reason 8th sucked; coupled with several lesser reasons, mainly arbitrary: rules, point-cost, and limitations. This looks like a low production knock-off. I think Games-Workshop is going to sue you all.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Under "Elvish Archer" it says "One Elvish Archer unit in the army may upgrade..."
So one unit can have magic arrows and skirmish? That is a pretty major limitation if I am reading it ccorrectly?
Well no. It says you can only have one type of arrow on that unit. So your archers don't bring both poison and true flight. And the new rules linked above clearly put our skirmish archers back we have only lost scout on them for all but one unit.
Nicholas Nitro wrote: Still no magic arrows for the Eagle Riders? Maybe the 'Forest Prince' is punishing them for their privilege?
Not true now either. Again in the link above your post you can find the new draft of the AB and there the eagle riders can have magical arrows. They are also moved to the Rare section while eagles are special wish seems fair.
Nicholas Nitro wrote:Now I'm looking at the "Paths of Magic" and forget it. Purple Sun! Dwellers Below!

Game over spells are the biggest reason 8th sucked; coupled with several lesser reasons, mainly arbitrary: rules, point-cost, and limitations. This looks like a low production knock-off. I think Games-Workshop is going to sue you all.
Now you're being ridiculous. You clearly haven't analysed the new magic rules. No more six dicing. Five is the limit and the more you use the more you're punished in case of miscast. By the way you can still dispell things thrown with two sixes, it just add to your dice cast, not IR any more. The spells also got balanced a bit. Dwellers ignore the first failed test (and it is the owner of the unit that it was cast on that decide the order in which to tale the test of course.)
It is balanced I can assure you after having played it myself and no longer can (or am afraid of) casting dwellers to deal with my opponents skeleton horde.

I really like the new rules in the pre-beta you linked to Yuri. Love the new characters and havingthe kindreds back seems a good call. Still miss sniper though ;)
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Game over spells are the biggest reason 8th sucked
Plenty of people think so, plenty disagree.

At a normal tournament level 8th works fine. Players try to win but also bring some units just because they like them. The point is to play an enjoyable game, so maxing everything out to win four games 20-0 and lose two 0-20 defeats the object. At ETC level the object is purely to win, which is why 9th Age, with it's reworking, suits it.

The worst offender is IF Purple Sun. But the chances of that on six dice are 26%. Otherwise you have scroll(s) and dispel dice. We also need to deploy bearing approach routes for the wizard in mind and how we might shoot him off or charge him.

Dwellers is the next issue. This can be countered again with scrolls, deployment, not building Deathstars which are vulnerable to it. Again, at the highest competitive level it is a problem for balance. But it is poor against WoC, MSU armies, Ogres etc..
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

Real beta is planned next week. Is it really going to happen, I don't know. There are many things that have to be polished. For example, magic items on tree characters, but guys are doing their best to get those things right. I think.
Yuri's little corner
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:I think Games-Workshop is going to sue you all.
I believe that's more than likely in any case. Only a matter of time. They want to put their game in a closet and if they won't play with it nobody else can either.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Yeah sorry guys, I didn't want to rain on the parade.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Yuri »

9th Age Beta is here!

Hi guys,

As Army Support for the Elves from the forest, or Sylvan Elves (9th Age name), my duty is to spread the word to our co-responding communities. So, without any further words, I'm presenting you Beta Version of 9th Age and Sylvan Elves.

As a disclaimer I'm copying to you a word from one of the leaders of 9th Age project:
Finally, as promised, on the 2nd of November, here are 16 new armybooks.

Are they are completely finished? No.

First, they are BETA version. Please remember this word: “beta”. This means everything and anything can be changed, and lots of changes will happen. But from now on, most changes will be a lot more feedback driven, especially play testing feedback. Even with these changes we expect the books to be fairly stable in the grand scheme of things for the upcoming months - the Army Book Committees did a fantastic job setting the cornerstones of this project.

Secondly, as you will soon see, some books have a new design, while others kept a design more similar to the alpha beast herds book. All books will get the new layout within the next few days (we just didn't have enough time to complete them all, and didn't want to hold back the release of the books for this reason).

As for balance, the rules team has used the nerf bat extensively the last few days (armybook committees are not happy with us). Have we over-nerfed something? Did we miss something? Of course we have. We have both had to work on very limited time, and we lack needed play testing. Without play testing, true balance can and will never be achieved. And here we count on your help. Play some games and report back. What is underpowered? What is overpowered? Which armies are the best?

If you are doing a tournament, please, please, report final results back. Basing our balance decisions on actual statistics is very important for us.

Surely there are lots of minor mistakes in the current books. For this reason we plan on the first update already within a week. Some major balance issues can be implemented here as well if needed.

Please hold on feedback until army support have had a chance to put up proper feedback threads.

Planned Updates on(roughly):
8th Nov
21st Nov
End December
March
August

We are doing finale edits on the paths of magic document as I write this. It is not a 100% sure if it will be completed tonight. But even if it is not, we will upload a temporary, non-”rules team approved” version, because the game is not playable without this. The “final” version will be uploaded within a few days.

Enjoy
^^
After you read it, here are the links to 9th age:
9th Age Forum
The 9th Age: Rulebook Beta
The 9th Age: Sylvan Elves Beta

You can leave your comments on a Sylvan Elves part of the Forum, here as a comment (I read it regularly), or send me a PM if you have some questions.
9th Age Sylvan Elves Forum

Cheers,
Yuri
Yuri's little corner
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Thanks for sharing Yuri and keep up the good work ;)
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
FriedTaterExplosion
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dwarfs, and Salamanders

Post by FriedTaterExplosion »

Yuri wrote:9th Age Beta is here!

Hi guys,

As Army Support for the Elves from the forest, or Sylvan Elves (9th Age name), my duty is to spread the word to our co-responding communities. So, without any further words, I'm presenting you Beta Version of 9th Age and Sylvan Elves.

As a disclaimer I'm copying to you a word from one of the leaders of 9th Age project:
Finally, as promised, on the 2nd of November, here are 16 new armybooks.

Are they are completely finished? No.

First, they are BETA version. Please remember this word: “beta”. This means everything and anything can be changed, and lots of changes will happen. But from now on, most changes will be a lot more feedback driven, especially play testing feedback. Even with these changes we expect the books to be fairly stable in the grand scheme of things for the upcoming months - the Army Book Committees did a fantastic job setting the cornerstones of this project.

Secondly, as you will soon see, some books have a new design, while others kept a design more similar to the alpha beast herds book. All books will get the new layout within the next few days (we just didn't have enough time to complete them all, and didn't want to hold back the release of the books for this reason).

As for balance, the rules team has used the nerf bat extensively the last few days (armybook committees are not happy with us). Have we over-nerfed something? Did we miss something? Of course we have. We have both had to work on very limited time, and we lack needed play testing. Without play testing, true balance can and will never be achieved. And here we count on your help. Play some games and report back. What is underpowered? What is overpowered? Which armies are the best?

If you are doing a tournament, please, please, report final results back. Basing our balance decisions on actual statistics is very important for us.

Surely there are lots of minor mistakes in the current books. For this reason we plan on the first update already within a week. Some major balance issues can be implemented here as well if needed.

Please hold on feedback until army support have had a chance to put up proper feedback threads.

Planned Updates on(roughly):
8th Nov
21st Nov
End December
March
August

We are doing finale edits on the paths of magic document as I write this. It is not a 100% sure if it will be completed tonight. But even if it is not, we will upload a temporary, non-”rules team approved” version, because the game is not playable without this. The “final” version will be uploaded within a few days.

Enjoy
^^
After you read it, here are the links to 9th age:
9th Age Forum
The 9th Age: Rulebook Beta
The 9th Age: Sylvan Elves Beta

You can leave your comments on a Sylvan Elves part of the Forum, here as a comment (I read it regularly), or send me a PM if you have some questions.
9th Age Sylvan Elves Forum

Cheers,
Yuri
Played a game the other day using the 9th Age rules and the Sylvan beta list.

Seemed familiar. Put me in mind of evolved 8th edition.

I did wonder why the equivalent of True Flight shots do count the -1 for moving and shooting. What is the rationale for that?
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

To make WE players take the other arrow types more maybe?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council

Post by Billthesurly »

To try and make us stay put? If that's the aim it's wide of the mark. I'm still going to shoot 'n scoot. Or in the case of this game scoot 'n shoot.
Bolg.
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Woodelfs, (Chaos) Dwarfs, Goblins

Post by Bolg. »

I read the army list. playing all tree kin is an option again. I've already started working on my dryad command groups!
Check out my webcomic: Bunbuns