Size of GW wood

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

RubyTuesday
Newcomer
Newcomer

Size of GW wood

Post by RubyTuesday »

Apologies if it's already on here some where but I'm after the dimensions of the std GW wood. They're decent enough but a touch on the expensive side at £54 for 3. Be nice if there was a template for the base size.

Or am I just being too cheap as the GW woods are great and well worth dipping into your beer money for?
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Re: Size of GW wood

Post by Billthesurly »

Well.... if you want to do GW woods on the cheap... find somebody who has one and trace it on to a piece of paper. Then transfer the tracing onto your medium of choice. I used 1/4 inch utility fiber-board available from any large home supply store. Cut out the design with a jigsaw or hand coping saw. Sand the edges so that they slope slightly inwards. The fiber-board I used has holes in it. I used those holes to stick my trees into which were made of a size for the trunks to fit snugly into the holes. That way I could easily move the trees out of the way when units moved into the wood.

Before I found someone with a wood to trace I had cut out the rough size and shape on a sheet of colored construction paper. I sized it by looking at pictures of GW woods found on the net and extrapolating the dimensions by comparing figure base sizes of the figures also shown in the picture.

If you're handy, as I flatter myself to think that I am, you can have some very nice woods pieces when you're done. They are light on the wallet but heavy on time invested. But I prefer to make my own terrain anyway and always have.

Oh yes - to answer your basic question; 10 1/4 inches long and 7 3/4 inches wide. The shape is not uniform but again, you can estimate basic shape from the internet.

Bonne chance.

PS: This also allows you to make your woods as thick as you desire so that when playing "true line of sight" you can create woods that are DENSE enough to hide, REALLY HIDE, units behind. Get a bag of hobby lichen from a hobby store for the undergrowth beneath the trees - particularly around the edges of the wood where such dense vegetation is usually found.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
RubyTuesday
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RubyTuesday »

I don't play much and I'm not part of a gaming group so access to the real deal in limited. Thanks for dimensions. Just what I was after. I've got a fair bit of mdf and other board in the shed after a furniture making project which scaled up quite considerably. I'll probably try for removable trees as it can be an arse getting a unit sitting where it needs to becheers
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Remember, the trees aren't removed when units move through them in AoS, so they do affect movement and the like. It's best if you model a few trees to put into your forest to represent this fact. :D
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

RubyTuesday,
yea, go ahead and dip into your beer money for one. With it you will have an exact template for other woods that you may need. And just like the old days of vinyl recordings, you can keep the original safe and just use your copies.

I struggled with the same question for a few years, buy the Citadel Woods model or continue guessing. I'm glad I finally got one. It allows a lot more space than what I had been using and I don't feel the least bit guilty using it. Before getting the model, I would have felt like I was cheating if I had used anything bigger than 6" across. Also, an opponent can't argue about the dimensions I'm using because it matches exactly.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Yojimbo
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Yojimbo »

Somewhere on this forum is a template. I think it was done by Godwearshats for the Dimensional Cascade podcast. I did have a look but couldn't find it. You might have more luck.
From tiny twiglets mighty treemen grow.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Sidewinder wrote: Also, an opponent can't argue about the dimensions I'm using because it matches exactly.
Bingo! And that wood, being almost a foot across, is much bigger than most people who have never seen the real deal think it is.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

As someone who owns a Citadel Wood, I'd say if you have the money to buy it, it's a good investment. Not only does it look really great on the table, but it comes with a great number of bits that you can use for conversions, wound markers, objective markers, ability effect markers, base decorations and the like. The box with 3 sets of woods is actually a pretty good investment, I think,e especially if you want to build a Sylvaneth force or field Durthu and use his 'make more woods' ability.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

You can also add Spawn bitz to it to make creepier woods.

Also given you get some pretty sweet rules why wouldn't you buy the kit to thank GW for making something part of your army and give it great rules.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
RubyTuesday
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by RubyTuesday »

Thanks all.