Games Workshop Store:

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Games Workshop Store:

Post by Duraska »

PensivePanther wrote: Ever wonder what the hobby would be like if models were super cheap?
Wide-spread and popular?
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

PensivePanther wrote:Ever wonder what the hobby would be like if models were super cheap?
Not till now, but the only image I can picture is adults playing with the green army men and blue army men bought at the dollar store.
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW
Siegfried
Campaign Team
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Bretonnia.

Post by Siegfried »

Merlin Elf friend wrote:Had an extremely quick look at the White Dwarf due out this Saturday; in the back the dryads were on pre-order for £25; but as stated elsewhere there are now 16 in the box, so only a minimal price hike (about £1), as they worked out at £1:50 per model when £18 for 12.

Absolute Bargain when compared to the new Sigmarites at £6 each.
The Stormcast Eternal models are a bit larger than space marine terminators so the price is in the same range as them, which sounds normal I guess...
My Art Blog: Valleys of Eternity
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

With the ScE guys, you don't actually need more than a box or so of each model (possibly two), and they're pretty big plastic dudes, so their price point is actually reasonable given their quality and the fact that people won't need to buy huge piles of them to field a ScE army. They've gotta make up the mold costs somehow, and it's not like you don't get your money's worth - the ScE models are at least as detailed as most clampacked hero models that have come out in recent years.
Spiritus Sanctus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Spiritus Sanctus »

Why buy anything new?
Ebay's now awash with everything WHFB. Who cares if they're on square bases? If you do, just use old coins or other round bases from non-GW manufacturers.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Go to any hardware store. Buy some cheap, sheet-plastic "For Sale" signs. (Try to find the ones made out of 1/16 inch sheet plastic for added stiffness.) Mark out circles with a compass and then cut out with a pair of scissors. Voila. Round bases.

Glue your square plastic based figures to the round bases with white glue so you can soak them off again if you ever want to. Or use a very small bit of blue "sticky putty" (usually found in the adhesives section of any store that carries tape and glue) to temporarily stick them on.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

It's not really necessary that the models are on round bases is it?
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

No, not according to the first WD with AoS models in it.

However our local GW Store is trying to push players in that direction, I am going for a compromise, ie, if making a NEW unit I will use oval or round bases unless it was a ranked combat regiment (EG/WWR) come to mind, in which case I will stick to the "old" square base.

As a side note; I have put an old Spellweaver mounted on Purebreed onto one of the new ovals (old cavalry base was warped), looks good, but downside is, it is harder to fit into my old Army case.

Hope this helps M.E.f
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

MerlinEF,

Is there a reason your store is pushing for round bases?

I like the ability to play AoS with either, but it's so different (for better or for worse) from WHFB, that I find I can't bring myself to rebase my army so that I can go and play 8th edition also if I want to.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

If GW wants to get rid of warhammer, it makes sense for them to push for round bases. If all your models have round bases it will be a lot harder to go back to warhammer.

I like the round bases more than square ones. Round bases just look so much better. Still I will be sticking with square bases as my gaming group will stick with warhammer.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

The Store is just saying that the models "look cooler" on round bases, to some extent I have to agree.

But there is also the point that having committed to round bases it will be harder to play WHFB elsewhere as the square bases are a must with the older versions of the game.

Hence I will not rebase any "spear elves" or my clone plastic archers, the "jury is still out" on my cavalry units however.
I am currently using Frensian Wolves and the Lions from the HE Chariot as "Hounds of Orion" these will all go on the new oval cavalry bases.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

PensivePanther wrote: Ever wonder what the hobby would be like if models were super cheap?
I thought this yesterday feeling if the AoS rulebook was half the price it is now I would impluse buy it. And some Witch Elves. And 3 more Exalted Slaanesh Chariots... and a slew of anything that wasn't priced out of my pocket book.

Who would have thought as an adult I couldn't afford something I got as a kid with paper route money.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

Kaese wrote:If GW wants to get rid of warhammer,..
Well, for them, they have gotten rid of WHFB. They've stopped producing the books. But they can't stop people from playing WHFB and they wouldn't even try stop anyone from doing so.
Kaese wrote:it makes sense for them to push for round bases. If all your models have round bases it will be a lot harder to go back to warhammer.
I don't think they are pushing round bases to make it harder to go back to WHFB. Of course they want AoS to succeed but what it really comes down to is, they don't care what's being played just as long their models are selling. But if they can convince us that we all need round bases because they look cooler, then that puts a little more money into their till.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

popisdead wrote:Who would have thought as an adult I couldn't afford something I got as a kid with paper route money.
For the younger members, what popisdead means by "paper" is something that is called a "newspaper". This was sort of like a PDF that contained social media information such as local residents that had recently gotten married, had died, had gone to some exotic land for vacation, had become a debutant, had committed armed robbery, fraud, or other criminal activities, and other such topical information.

It was also a news aggregator combining local, regional, and nationwide news as well as providing sports, weather, and static cartoons. Contained within it was an app to find out what was playing at the movie theaters. I am talking about both kinds, the indoor and outdoor movie theaters.

Newspapers also had a section that you could buy, sell, or trade, very similar to Craig's List.

Now the odd thing about newspaper is that even though it was paywall, you still had to look at the ads. You would try to avoid looking at ads but it would be so hard to avoid them if there was a car in the ad. Even harder to avoid were the ones with women models. Ads with cars and women were absolutely the most difficult to ignore.

To scroll from one page to the next, you would simply swipe across the page. I know; you've been doing that for years with your iPad, but, well, you might think I'm a liar but this is the absolute truth. If you wanted to make it easier to swipe, you would dampen your fingertip with your tongue. Crazy, huh?

If you paid in advance, the newspaper would be downloaded everyday to your front lawn, usually in the deepest part of the shrubbery, or more than likely, in the mud puddle that hasn't dried out yet. Now if you preferred obtaining the newspaper less frequently, you could jack into a rectangular box by using round discs called "coins".

Newspapers had a share function also. The most popular app for that was named "shoulder". And with this function you could share your newspaper with all your friends, sometimes up to five of them all at the same time.

Now for those of you that are slightly older and vaguely remember newspapers, what popisdead means by "kid with paper route money" is that at one time before adult men and women were the newspaper ISPs that slung the newspapers from car windows, it was children from about the age of ten and up to about the age of fifteen that were the ISPs responsible for delivering newspaper. They were also responsible for collecting money from customers and paying their suppliers. Money left over went to buying soda, candy, comics, and prophylactics, because one day, maybe, just maybe...
Duraska
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Duraska »

Unless you really want to re-base all your models, I would recommend that you do not. AoS is every bit as playable with square bases as round, and I still use movement trays for units with 10+ models just to keep the movement phase from taking forever (I just ignore the tray and move each model individually when i do pile-ins). The advantage of keeping square bases is.... you never know... ;-) Sure, GW has burned a bridge with AoS, and any future WHFB game that might come out 3-4 years from now will likely use round bases, but other games (non-GW) exist, and a lot of them use square bases. Why limit yourself? I'm not saying that you should play other companies' games over GW, I'm just saying, why tear apart the models you've had for years, just to stick them on a circle instead of a square for a game who's rules clearly say "ignore the bases?"
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Must admit I can see the sense of retaining the movement trays when using larger units, typically 15+ for infantry, or 8+ for cavalry.

I have decided to keep my Wild Riders and Reavers/Glade Riders on the "old" 25x50mm cavalry bases, only my "hounds" and a couple of mounted Heroes will migrate to the new "ovals".

Thanks for the "input" on this - Merlin E.f.