ETC Openhammer

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

ETC Openhammer

Post by frogboy »

Stolen from our Dark Cousins over at Druchii.net....
Amboadine wrote:Thought this would be worth sharing. Posted on Warseer
Maybe I'm in the wrong forum but this, clearly, is going to the be biggest and most widely accepted adoption of WHFB 8th edition out there with ETC behind it. They are including a full review and update cycle for both army balance and rules revision.

The announcement is here, along with their manifesto and the current rulebook.

I've read through and there are clearly some difficulties with finer points in the translation and there are no units, spells or special rules are included, but that will be in the coming compendium.

Key points:

Random charges remain
Steadfast is gone
Cannon damage and range is reduced but accuracy is about the same
Optional weather and time of day effects are included
Cover and large target rules now apply in combat
Units now pivot around the centre, up to twice in the movement phase
Priests are now included as a type of caster
Magic dice is now summed caster levels plus d3
Dispel dice are now summed caster levels
Maximum dice per cast attempt are now caster level +1
Double ones are an auto-fail to cast
Double sixes are still an irresistible cast, but the caster takes a number of saves equal to dice used against their caster level, with failures causing a wound each
Characters now auto-pass Look Out Sir tests in units of 5 or more
Character displace command models in the front rank
Maximum of two characters per unit
Minimum unit widths and maximum models per unit enforced based on army size
Army selection is by slots not percentages
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: ETC Openhammer

Post by razorfate »

They are talking about introducing the game to Etc members yet. All in all very nice move.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

I really like this !

I don't know if they will get away with it, but it's a way to continue on from 8th ...
Downloaded, saved and marked for testing ! :smirk:
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Here is a link for warhammer 9th afe project.
Each armybook gets its own suggestions for the new system, if you want to contribute, here is the link: http://warhammer.org.uk/phpBB/viewtopic ... 8&t=130116
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

I've registered and plan on discussing some of the changes. Lots of good things and then some bad ones too.

Here are some of the changes to WEs:
Treekin S5
Dryads can skirmish for free
Ambush is optional

And then there are a few I don't agree with but might be ok when joined together with the other vast changes.

20pt increase for waystalker? They aren't that great to begin with. Sniping is VERY limited in use.
Trueflight 5pts? That's crazy. 18pts per model. Maybe if you lowered the base model.
Sister and Wildriders with increases too. That's a big deal. WR are great, but they still fight like a wet tissue if they don't get the charge and have no lasting power. Sisters are great, and I guess this would limit the mage bunker a little bit. I'd agree with the increase, if you're using them in this way. Otherwise, I think they are fine the way they are.
23 points for waywatchers seems excessive too. At the end of the day its still a T3 elf. Give them the additional -1 to hit like chameleon skinks have and we might be at 23. But not as is.

Also, they've added vanguard to several units that already had it with fast cav. It isn't listed under fast cav, but isn't defined anyway. I guess that's a work in progress.

There is also a bunch of people moaning about all elves having ASF. Losing this would cripple the elves. All of them. There would still be viable builds, but it would mean limited ways to play each army. They haven't made that change yet, and I hope they don't. Rerolling wouldn't even be an issue if you changed the way WS worked in a fight. And as it is now, what does it matter if my S3 or 4 elves get 15 hits on your demon prince when I need 6s to would and you have a 1+ save? The whole argument seems silly. Elves should hit you a bunch more times than anything else out there. Have you not seen LOTR??? :) Unlike LOTR though, my S4 noble isn't really going to even be an appetizer for your big nasties out there.
ikken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ikken »

UKlvrBM wrote:I've registered and plan on discussing some of the changes. Lots of good things and then some bad ones too.

Here are some of the changes to WEs:
Treekin S5
Dryads can skirmish for free
Ambush is optional

And then there are a few I don't agree with but might be ok when joined together with the other vast changes.

20pt increase for waystalker? They aren't that great to begin with. Sniping is VERY limited in use.
Trueflight 5pts? That's crazy. 18pts per model. Maybe if you lowered the base model.
Sister and Wildriders with increases too. That's a big deal. WR are great, but they still fight like a wet tissue if they don't get the charge and have no lasting power. Sisters are great, and I guess this would limit the mage bunker a little bit. I'd agree with the increase, if you're using them in this way. Otherwise, I think they are fine the way they are.
23 points for waywatchers seems excessive too. At the end of the day its still a T3 elf. Give them the additional -1 to hit like chameleon skinks have and we might be at 23. But not as is.

Also, they've added vanguard to several units that already had it with fast cav. It isn't listed under fast cav, but isn't defined anyway. I guess that's a work in progress.

There is also a bunch of people moaning about all elves having ASF. Losing this would cripple the elves. All of them. There would still be viable builds, but it would mean limited ways to play each army. They haven't made that change yet, and I hope they don't. Rerolling wouldn't even be an issue if you changed the way WS worked in a fight. And as it is now, what does it matter if my S3 or 4 elves get 15 hits on your demon prince when I need 6s to would and you have a 1+ save? The whole argument seems silly. Elves should hit you a bunch more times than anything else out there. Have you not seen LOTR??? :) Unlike LOTR though, my S4 noble isn't really going to even be an appetizer for your big nasties out there.
the one thing that balances all this out is that with the proposed open hammer system , when they make a mistake , it can be corrected in the next edition which will come out every year . no more waiting years for an update or correction . the worst would be wait a year for the new update. Plus they seem to want community input , so after a year of listening to the wood elf players squawk at them they would hopefully see their errors .
Polycotton
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Polycotton »

I'm liking the looks of these changes:

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1BdU ... yxcxtc2nq2

Magic item changes seem a no brainer for me. Looking to use those changes within out gaming group pretty soon. The game winning spells have received nerfs and the magic lores seem more balanced although it needs more testing. The army changes seem like a good idea. They are currently looking to nerf overpowered units at present and will be looking to buff weaker units and armies after that.
The Wood Elf changes make Dryads and Treekin a viable choice again. The points increase for Wild Riders and Sisters of the Thorn make other units viable such as Wildwood Rangers. I still can't see myself buying Glade Riders unless ambush is optional.

_____
The Wood Elf changes:

Special Rules
Forests Spirits have a 5+ Ward Save in addition to their other rules

Magic Items

Change the cost of the Enchanted arrows as follows:
Trueflight arrows 5pts
Hagbane tips 4pts
Arcane bodkin 4pts
Starfire shafts 3pts
Moonfire shot 3pts
Swiftshiver shard 2pt

Army List changes

Dryads can upgrade to have Skirmisher for free

Tree Kin are Strength 5

Wild Riders are 29 pt/model. Replace Fast Cavalry with Light Troops

Sisters of the Thorn are 30 pt/model. Replace Fast Cavalry with Light Troops. They are a rare choice. They lose the Deepwood Coven Special Rule. They have Wizard Conclave and are a level 2 wizard which knows Curse of Anraheir and Soul Quench

Waywatchers are 23 pt/model
Elven Steed (character mount) Replace Fast Cavalry with Light Troops