AoS - New units?

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

AoS - New units?

Post by nXken »

Herro fellow Wanderers (or Sylvaneth)

Subject betrays my question :)

What are you looking forward to in AoS?

For me:
I am finally going to get me an Orion! (and a box of wolves from 40K) ==> realy like the option to summon the hounds. He also feels good when you read the profile.

Definately going to get myself some wardancers as well!

I am expecting new mini's for both above...

What bout you? Any hobby/gaming prospects to share with AoS in mind?
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: AoS - New units?

Post by Hyarion »

I've heard surprisingly little about what the new faction will entail but I don't think we'll see anything else for the Wanderers, I think any new Aelf faction will have it's own units and it's own aesthetic which may or may not mesh well our current Wood Elf look and feel. GW is letting us use our own models so we have less motivation to find a new purpose for our old models (like Kings of War), but their end goal is not for us to play Age of Sigmar with those models, but to move on and buy new armies and play their new game and spend our $$. As such, I think they are going to play this to the hilt and create us a whole new line of models.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

I agree, but I really like the aesthetic of AoS so far, so I'm really looking forward to seeing what new Aelf units they make! Also heard over on BOLS that the Sylvaneth are getting a bit of love soon which is good because I want them to make a comeback in my army.
EtherDude
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by EtherDude »

The models are gorgeous. A lot of people accuse them of being space marines, but I feel like they have a distinct look and will form the basis for a lot of really good conversions. The detail and size of the models are incredible. Because they are so big, the amount of relief available is amazing, almost beyond what they've been able to do with metals previously.

As for rules, think of them like ogres crossed with warriors of chaos. Beefy, fast, hitty, well armored with internal synergy. I think the best way to deal with them is going to be pulling them away from one another, splitting up their support and taking them on piece by piece. Best way to do this IMO is going to be sylvaneth units, especially treemen teleporting between woods (so friggin cool...).

I really want to give a shout out to things that modulate to hit/to wound rolls. Dryads in woods take way less damage than they should, and goblin netters are insane.

One thing that's been cool to see is how nasty basic infantry has become. They can hurt everything, and in huge numbers, they can pump out ridiculous numbers of attacks and with internal buffs, can get beyond nasty. The downside is that they lose their hitting power and are vulnerable to leadership. Your 100 glade guard take 9 casualties from what ever. You're now going to lose an extra d6 models due to ld, regardless of how big the unit is.

On that note, tree kin are beastly and are probably a good counter to the new sigmarites.

Lots of rambling, sorry, but I'm having the most fun in ages using the AoS rules. :roll:
Archeos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Archeos »

nXken wrote:and a box of wolves from 40K
I'm also considering the Fell Wargs box from the Hobbit :nod:

nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Thanks Archeos for the heads up :)
Maybe they'll give us our own line of dogs ^^ together with a unicorn :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Oh please GW let there be new Unicorns :drool:

Did I say that out loud ? :paranoid:
Last edited by frogboy on 10 Jul 2015, 09:04, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Spelling, again :(
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Yes you did and we all heard you. :smirk:

I have been using a Reaper Unicorn for years. I would love to see GW come out with something better.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by nXken »

Definately want to see a GW unicorn! If it's the same quality as the later monster-mini's (treeman / Verminlords / ...)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

Rainsong
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Rainsong »

The unicorn has been replaced by a purebred steed or something like that in the WE warscrolls... so maybe don't get your hopes up :(
carrp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by carrp »

Excited for new elf models, especially the way our models have been going. (WWR/Treeman models). I'd love a new Orion but I have a feeling he might be gone for good. Hopefully not tho. Rumor is Tyrion is god of the elves now, which sucks. I'd rather Malekith. Alrielle is god of the forest spirits replacing Ariel for good. Not thrilled by that either, but we'll see.

Maybe some new treekin models!? Seems like Sylvanith come next. I'm glad they separated wood elves and forest spirits, in the fluff they definitely were not a happy cohesive army.

Maybe they'll bring Orion back somehow though, he's pretty awesome from the warscroll, and notice they took out Ariel but not Orion. He could use a badass new model. Pretty happy with AoS's... Relaxed... army building rules I can recreate the army from the Orion books, I have my Finivar and war dancers ready to go. Maybe they'll even get some new models.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

Why would Orion go?? He's got a model already AND he's in the Wood Elves faction Warscroll compendium, with full rules and stats. He's safe, thankfully!!!!
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

carrp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by carrp »

I just meant in the story. Tyron killed him in the end times and this time where was no Ariel to bring him back, but maybe Alarielle fills that gap. Also the Aelfs now worship a god named Malerion according to the new leaks...
Malekith + Tyrion = Malerion I'd assume.

Also I wonder what happened to Araloth.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Araloth ducked out with that one lady to a hidden pocket realm. Possibly, he'll be part of the Wanderer faction in continuing lore - I wouldn't be surprised if there were actually 3 subsets of Aelf or whatever in the new fluff, even if they could be mix-and-matched.

Orion's probably done for, sadly, since he bit it pre-end times and his existence was tied to Athel Loren, which no longer exists. It's a bummer because it looks like with AoS rules he's actually good instead of being super overcosted :s
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

With him still having a model, I thiink he'll be fine, it'd be like getting rid of glade guard, he's that tied to WE's.

Lets face it, GW will find a way to keep him around, maybe change his fluff, like he's now more of the primodial gestalt hunter spirit of the Elves or something. But enjoy him whilst he's here! besides when Araloth ducked out, maybe the god Kurnos followed him to the new realm! :sexy:

Rafiki
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: All female wood elf army

Post by Rafiki »

carrp wrote:I just meant in the story. Tyron killed him in the end times and this time where was no Ariel to bring him back, but maybe Alarielle fills that gap. Also the Aelfs now worship a god named Malerion according to the new leaks...

Or it could be
Malekith + Orion = Malerion
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Malekith is still alive:

Morathi went into the warp, so Morathi and Tyrion possibly as both went into the warp too

Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Having got the Wood (A)Elf Warscrolls Compendium from my local friendly GW Store, I believe the following WE Characters are safe:

Orion, Araloth, Durthu, and Sisters of Twilight on (unnamed) Forest Dragon.

It seems we have lost Ariel and Drycha; anyone lucky enough to have the Ariel (old model) can use it as a Spellweaver, Drycha can ofc be used as a Branchwraith.

Unicorns have gone but can be proxied as a Purebred Steed (with mounted Spellwever). The only unicorn left in the game is now ridden by the Fay Enchantress!

The only unit lost is the Deepwood Scouts.

We have gained Hunting Hounds (which can be summoned by Orion and Wanderer Wizards) as well as being used as a unit (warscroll in their own right). We can also use "Wood Elf Chariots" using the HE Tiranoc Chariot warscroll.

So I think a pretty good result overall.
carrp
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by carrp »

Rafiki wrote:
carrp wrote:I just meant in the story. Tyron killed him in the end times and this time where was no Ariel to bring him back, but maybe Alarielle fills that gap. Also the Aelfs now worship a god named Malerion according to the new leaks...

Or it could be
Malekith + Orion = Malerion

Actually there's a scary ass dragon elf looking thing in the new leaks where it mentions Maleron, so perhaps it's in fact, Sepharon + Malekith. Whatever it is would make a really sick model.

https://mobile.twitter.com/Lady_Atia/st ... 00/photo/1

Could be awesome
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Small correction to my previous post; The Sisters of Twilight still have their named Dragon (Ceithin-Har) it was in the small print in the Warscroll, I missed it first time around!

It does look as if the Sylvaneth will get the first new "Elven Models", unless it is going to be a new Character for the Dark Elves a morphed Malekith i.e. part aelf, part Dragon.

There is a bit in the new White Dwarf regarding Alarielle's split with Sigmar, so she could well turn out to be the Leader of the Sylvaneth, so chances for new models. There is also a picture of Treemen and Dryads with mention of a new Treeman leader.
Finally not sure if its me or a new paint job but the said Dryads do seem to be very slightly more feminine than the oldish plastic models