Round Robin Hammer

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Round Robin Hammer

Post by Hyarion »

So as a sendoff to 8th edition, I am trying to organize a gaming event of sorts. Each round will go as follows:

1) Each player puts a piece of paper with the army they want to play into a hat.
2) Each player draws an army and borrows the army book of that army.
3) Each player has 20 minutes to write up any legal army list for that army.
4) Each player then puts their army list into the hat.
5) Each player then draws the army that they will play the next round with.

Good idea, bad idea, something else? Any suggestions?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Round Robin Hammer

Post by Aezeal »

Sounds like a fun idea but you'd need a lot of time unless you want to be meeting with all those players often (logistics might be hard)
Not to mention you'd need not only to read the army book when building the army but you'd also need to know what units there are to play with and since army lists are redone every game.. everyone would need to bring as much models as they can.. another logistical problem.
Another thing is you'd need to make clear what the intentions are: if most people try to build a somewhat competative list but 1-2 create an obviously sub par "fun" list (this is my goblin horde of 600 goblins and their general , for fluffiness he dislikes mages so no magic support).

So a nice idea but with some logistical problems (how bad those are probably depends on your game group).

PS Not easily done with the people on this forum either, and there is a large chance you'll play WE anyway in that case.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I've done something similar in the past (players wrote their opponent's army list with the intention of making the worst possible list, it was really fun and rather instructive) so the part about do I write a competitive list or a nonsense list is intentionally left vague.

The whole idea is that most things will have to be proxied, but that's ok as long as folks have fun.

Good thoughts though!
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Well if noone minds a lot of proxying and you can all bring all those models and some extra to the same location for the days needed I see no real problems. Could be fun.
It's not really my sort of thing but that could be since I never play "real" tournaments so if I'd spend one of more days completely on warhammer I'd probably prefer trying a "serious" tournament thing first. But if you have had enough of regular play and need a bit of fun I guess this could be a great format.

I think you need provide another important thing except the game and the models though: alcohol and snacks :D
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Go for it! My experience with tournaments is that they are almost always too dog-gone serious. There's always somebody, or several somebodies, who's entire sense of self worth seems to be on the line. Nobody just wants to relax and play with their toys. This sounds like a wonderful way to let everybody know right up front that this is not to be "one of those" tournaments.

I second the motion for (moderate) alcohol and snacks!
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Elbereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons, Warriors

Post by Elbereth »

I like the randomness of it. If all goes well, people will backstab each other and write up the worst lists possible ensuring for an epic event.

Enter the close combat Liche Priest Hierophant and uber expensive chaos lord pin cushion with as little armour as possible complete with lack of ward saves.
Hear the words I sing,
War's a horrid thing,
So I sing, sing, sing,
Ding-a-ling-a-ling.
--Baldrick, Blackadder Goes Forth