"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Daeron
Newcomer
Newcomer

Ninth Edition - End Times for real?

Post by Daeron »

A few days late, due to the problems with posting:

Good heavens...

A lot of very reliable sources of rumors on Warseer have spilled the proverbial beans on the future of Warhammer and the next edition (summer 2015):

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... -Different

Choice bits include faction reduction (six for start), unit choice reduction, considerable fluff changes, and a Space Marine-ish new faction...

Currently I'm mostly on the more positive side. Having 15/16 factions is too many, and going the Infinity route (each army having 2 or 3 subfactions) is IMO a good thing. On the other hand, I'll start frothing at the mouth if I see Space Marines in WHFB.
Slobber
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Re: Ninth Edition - End Times for real?

Post by Slobber »

Some of the rumors are kinda scary, I'd hate to see fantasy Battle become 40k sword. I am withholding judgment though until the new version is actually released. I know many people will be sad to see the fluff change. As others have mentioned the floating shards in a sea of warp reminds me of the Ravenloft setting for second edition AD&D, so it might not be all bad.
I am sad though by the thought of reducing the number of armies, I hope the six condensed factions is just a rumor, or its six allied forces with each having an unique army book that maintains the strengths, weaknesses, and feel of the current armies. Who knows? Maybe this is why Ward left GW. "I finally wrote a good army book, now this!? I quit!"
Anyways here's hoping that we don't lose our army.
war without fire is as worthless as sausages without mustard
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

I haven't played in years, but I still buy and paint regularly with army rules in mind and have been like this for 10+ years. Make your own judgement if that makes what I think valid or irrelevant, but I am very worried they've gone against their promise of never 'squatting' an army again and instead have squatted everything...

Big if, but if the rumours are accurate they've just made Fantasy 40k, complete with a new Space Marine faction, it will even be separate worlds for each group.

There definitely won't be Wood Elves in this, we'll just be elves.

The fabulously rich fantasy world of Warhammer is being entirely thrown out for something totally new, that seems rather extreme.

I know Fantasy is always struggling, but some changes could have been made without throwing the whole lot out and effectively starting again.

If those rumours are true, which they do at this stage look to be.

And nice that I can now post again.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

yay more speculation! I'm glad everything I have ever bought is probably a waste of space now... maybe someone out there will want to buy it all up because they will be classic models and armies... just this sounds dumb.. Oh great lets make anew "Armorer human cult" army like space marines for fantasy so everyone will play one army like in 40k! I think this has gotten out of hand and this end times didn't help. I mean I'm all for radically changing the story and crazy stuff happening but this will be depressing and I don't see me or my friends carrying on to 9th edition unless there is a real way to use all of my models I previously purchased.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

I just cant see them totally removing some armies. Lizardmen in space? So they tell the stores to get rid of all the lizards on shelves? Seems like the opposite of the GW culture.
I was really hoping that End Times was just going to usher in a new status quo. Some heroes die, some become empowered, and new ones introduced. Helves Delves and Welves eventually split at the end of the ET story, and find their new places and lands in the world.
Like the rest, im of course going to wait and see before i declare the sky fallibg.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I don't mind heavily armoured humans at all.

I don't really mind having only 6 factions even if WE disappear (though sad) they need to make profit. I guess Humans, Chaos and Elves are certainties... I just wonder about the other races (lizzies, dwarves, skaven, OnG, ogres)... Unless they COMPELTELY (which is suggested... no recognizable races...) mix everything up. Ong and Ogres are a fit I think.. but dwarves,skaven and lizzies really stand alone.. and all of those would be 7 factions which is 1 too many.

I find the whole story about bubbles a bit vague and I'd prefer it if they didn't do it. But it wouldn't really ruin much for me.. it could give nice new fluff. It's a change which like endtimes will probably get lots of hate.. but won't really matter much for the game.

I DO mind the fact that players like me who don't have much time (and thus my incentive to spend money) might need to buy whole new armies.. "many current models might not be usable etc etc".\

I don't like the fact they will keep pumping out limited edition units.. and then get them off the shelves later. It makes the playing field less equal for those who spend less money. I think this is TOO much focussing on making profit.

I also would really dislike the round bases.. not because I'm against them .. but because I don't want to rebase my whole army.. if it's usable at all.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

At last the discussion on 9th edition changes has reached here. I was wondering when this subject would show up.

I can't say I'm happy about the proposed changes, especially getting rid of all the older models I don't have but so dearly love. However the rules changes don't bother me so much, since I already continue to use an out-of-date set of rules (the 6th edition Wood Elf army book).

My actual really big fear about it is what will happen to this site. Between the developments of the End Times and now this, I have grave fears that this site might go away, and I don't want that at all.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

First we'll have to see what happens. Unless they mix it all up and make a sort of Tau races I think the best bet is the elves will all be united. A lot of the obivious double units will get the boot and we'll remain with

Spear, bows and halbards, some cav, some special cav and some monsters. I hope an archer heavy mobile army option remains viable. My guess would be that archery and mobility will be the elven main strengths though (incl. scouting) if we go more HE like with heavy armor it would probably be more similar to other armored races (humans/chaos).

Not sure if the treespirits will be very viable though.

I think I'll just keep my dark green army and buy some units to fit to the new rules.. I don't want to play with unsupported rules AND imho most rule changes are for the better usually.

I'm just not gonna pay 1000 E for a completely new army. I can see they need to get a viable business model and that goes a long way towards my patience.. but my wallet (while bulking of course) will only be used sparely since I just do't have that much time to play and paint.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

I bet ( Pure speculation not real don't get scared or angry ) if elves actually get really lumped together they will do something like
Spear Men- HE gets extra rank, DE get hatred, WE get (some woody bonus) all cost same points
Archer-HE get extra rank of fire, DE get crossbows, WE get better long bows
Fast Cavalry- same concept

so we will have to choose the unit and choose what type of elf they are... It could make sense We have so MANY overlapping units. This could work and could keep many people happy. Maybe who knows. I'd be okay.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Well, it sounds indeed an Infinity-like system.
If they will leave just 6 factions, I guess there will be faction-books (like End of Times books) and the current codex will be sub-armies with special bonuses.
For example: elven archers at 10 pts, if you take the Asrai sub-army you can upgrade to Glade Guards for 2 ppm and so on with Darkshards in Druchii sub-army etc.

What could then be the 6 factions?
The 3 presented with EoT seem quite obvious, but then what else? A coalition of humans and dwarves? Ogre and Grenskins being neighbours make sense too, but skaven and lizards, then?
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

The six factions i saw are
1. Humans (brets empire dwarfs ogres)
2. Chaos (mortal daemon beasts)
3. Elves (delves welves helves)
4. Orcs and Goblins
5. Undead (tk vc)
6. Skaven

I saw this list on a rumor mill somewhere
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

who knows. GW is so beyond rational thought, I can't begin to imagine. First off, everything they sell is so insanely overpriced they should be drug out into the street and whipped. if they just made everything a bit more reasonable, they would have more customers. Heck, I'd love to have another army. But I'm not shelling out $500 to get one. I hated spending $50 for a freaking book. That's insane. It's 100 pages.

Beyond that, the idea that they would get rid of a race seems crazy. The race in question is lizards. The guy that got me, his brothers, and about 4 other people into the game, has about 6,000 points in lizards and probably more. He's spent about $300 on their newer models. If they dropped lizards, we'd all keep to 8th and never buy anything from GW again.

I don't care about the fluff, but I like playing the game. If they merge elves and half my units go away, I'm going to be very pissed off. I've got 12 treekin sitting in a box collecting dust that I'm still mad about getting nutoured. 24 dryads that never see daylight too.

Oh well, getting worked up over rumors is silly. I just wish they had someone with a business degree working at GW.
DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DocDropPod »

Can't believe this doesn't include Lizardmen! Travesty! All those pretty dino models
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

DocDropPod wrote:Can't believe this doesn't include Lizardmen! Travesty! All those pretty dino models
It would not be nice I admit for lizzie players..

It could be true.. the lizzies are contemplating leaving the world or something if I recall correctly.. follow the old ones or something.. it was in one of the first end times books.. just a line in between though.. might be nothing.
Maybe Skaven overrun Lustria and get lizzardmen slaves :D
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

I don't see this as the end.

I think the "Faction" part is a new way of putting it all together.
I remember 3rd edition, when you could have Allies from several dedicated Allies Lists and it was deemed a good thing back then for being able to paint a lot of what you liked and still play with it.
And everybody groaned at the costs, when you suddenly had to buy books for every race, not just this one "Armies"-Book ...

This Allies part could still be true here - Go and join your High/Dark/Wood Elves together however you like and play.
Another merging of chaos and Daemons (not the first one...) and a "Humans/Dwarf" Faction still might allow you to play Dwarfs - it would be just from a Book called "Good Guys" sprinkled in with some Halflings for a Change ... ;)

Going to 6 Books tidies Groups of Races together (whether with good choices or not is another question) and gives Options for different looking Armies and "Ally Groupings" - a good thing at first glance. Its all a question of how this will be pulled off that makes us nervous.

Well, if they then include the "Entry-Level" old (Chaos-)Warband-System (9th ?) for all those Factions, all new players can start up with this, try several Races with a Book and continue to grow from there.
And then 2-3 years from now they can slip in a real full edition in Context with this growing system and all the existing users can still use 8th Edition if they are not interested in the warbands until then.

That would be something that makes sense as far as I am concerned.
Get a system to pull new players in and not loose too many old players.
And you don't have a need for Archaon/Nagash/etc. because everybody will evolve their own growing Warband Characters with distinctive parts from D66 Lists - all options to be sold by GW ...

I admit, all of this is based on the pretext of good will from GW and that's the shaky part ...
Just my thoughts on this ...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I agree that it might be a good move from them to try and make fewer lists so if they make a real nice model it can be bought by more people. I also understand that GW apperantly needs to make more money from WH. I don't care at all about all the fluff stuff, I'm prety sure it will be nice new books with nice stories and people not biased by old books will probably make great thematic armies (me included I'm not deadset on a certain view on the WE).
The thing I object too is that old models might be unusable. The time I spend on the hobby has a relation to the cash I want to spend.. in the past I spend more and I want to be able to use those (expensive) models (painted which also took time and sweat and tears ;) ) now I have less time to play.. I don't want to buy whole new armies for 1 game per month or less.

Skaven en O&G are all vermin.. can't they be put together to create room for a faction with lizzies?
Last edited by Aezeal on 14 Jan 2015, 16:20, edited 1 time in total.
UKlvrBM
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves

Post by UKlvrBM »

Aezeal wrote: The thing I object too is that old models might be unusable. The time I spend on the hobby has a relation to the cash I want to spend.. in the past I spend more and I want to be able to use those (expensive) models (painted which also took time and sweat and tears ;) ) now I have less time to play.. I don't want to buy whole new armies for 1 game per month or less.
This 1,000 times over. My army isn't fully painted, but I've got just about every figure and likely over 6,000 points without spending any on upgrades. If any more of my units became unusable, I'd be pretty pissed off. I get they need to make money, but they have been going about it all wrong. Keep everything that we currently have in the model spectrum. Release those models quarterly, based on wait-lists. So in Q2 of 2016, you have 500 people who have requested to be notified when WW are ready to ship, then make 400 of them. Keep your regularly selling units/armies stocked (to a certain degree) and then make the rest in batches as the need arises. This isn't rocket science and companies all over the world have been doing this for years. Someone from UPS needs to give them a call about "logistics"......
Shbur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Shbur »

As other people have mentioned here, I am really hoping that the distinctive play style, lore, and models for the wood elves does not go away. I love WE so much more than any other race in WHFB currently. It would really be very sad for the race I've been playing for over 10 years to just disappear in the culmination of all the elven races. Please, GW, keep the WE alive.
Elbereth
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Daemons, Warriors

Post by Elbereth »

Played warhammer since 3rd edition, and this news is saddening but understandable. Sadly, I was planning a return to the game after a couple of years hiatus... just too late.

There is hope on the horizon, though not in table top form. http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/14/754472 ... e-assembly
Hear the words I sing,
War's a horrid thing,
So I sing, sing, sing,
Ding-a-ling-a-ling.
--Baldrick, Blackadder Goes Forth
Makiwara
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Makiwara »

Are you guys still waiting for the half of the wood elf model release that was rumoured but never took place? The one where 'respectable' rumour mongers had seen new warhawks and wardancers, waywatchers and forest dragons and such?

Yeah me too.

Think people put far to much stock in all this 9th ed rumour stuff and frankly on the other boards it's just been an excuse to indulge in rage or depression.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

A lot of disturbing rumors indeed =/

I think for elves, we'll see a sort of chaos-y AB. Chaos chooses marks to get bonus x-y-z. We choose what type of elf we field for bonus a-b-c. (as said here before)

Round bases would be fluffy for us Asrai... but I don't see people rebasing their entire army...

A lot of people will quit if the rumours are right. More people will stick with 8th Ed.
I, for one, will make my decision based on the actual release. Since I don't have a BRB yet, I'll wait as long as possible before I make my decision.

At WD Daily I saw a picture of Skaven fighting Dwarves WITH Ogre models in their ranks. Maybe that's a spoiler of some sort?

I would like to conclude this post with a sympathetic note:

Je suis Lizzie
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Furyou Miko
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Furyou Miko »

Round bases will spell the death of any Skirmisher list that requires use of unit facings to stay alive, like... everything in the Wood Elf army.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Well I can see round bases as an option for monsters who can't join units anyway. Not sure how you'd position ranked up unit against that though.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

For units like the Squig Mangler, round bases are no issue. Base contact is not applicable with this guy.

I can even see it happening for waystalkers, if this guy gets in base contact he's toast anyways :)

I do think that round AND square bases will needlessly complicate the game further...

Lets see what bubble-hammer will have in store for us.
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I think that going completely round base fits more with skirmish games and not with regiments. And I like the idea of regiments so I want to keep them it is a good way to represent the movement of large bodies of troops (though O&G could have some sort of rule set more fit for a wild mob). I WOULD however like a subset of rules to be able to play a mordheim like game with our warhammer models (I guess I can just play mordheim if I'd really like it :D)