"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by Aezeal »

frogboy wrote:So wait, an elf could be fighting a snotling or a bloodthirster and the to hit rolls and to wound rolls are exactly the same?

Magic looks boring :(

Unicorns have been removed, WTF!
It would be pretty easy to make a new warscroll though. Does bretonnia still have a uni?

I think magic as it is now could work.. but we haven't got much diversity atm.
The shadowdancer spell and the TMA/Durth treesinging look fun though.
There is a "hidden" spell though: look at the hunting hounds.. that warscroll gives all the woodelf (wanderer seems their keyword now) wizards the summon hounds spell.

Frogboy: yes about those to hit/wound rolls. Big models aren't save anymore.. they just have more wounds to help them. That is why I think the strong sisters ability to heal and that BSB large AOE wardsave ability are very powerfull.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

So looking at the rules you can now move than then charge: charge distance is equal for every model (2D6) so the movement is needed for fast units to get closer. It also means that cavalry (move 10-14 inches) could potentialy move/charge till 26 inch.. which is way more than the bow range of our archers. There also seems to be no stand and shoot anymore. Archery seems a bit weaker. We have no rend on our standard shots only a 1/game ability to shoot with 3 rend.

EG can have glade shields.. but I have no idea why you would NOT take those.

Warhawk riders have an ability to sweep through enemy lines which seems very nice against small units of weaker 1 wound models since it allows to pile in and attack again if you've cleared every model in 3'".
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Anyone remember 4rd Edition (I think) which had the big box of magic items and magic lores all on cards which was released separately to the main boxed set? What's the bets that will happen again, I mean there's bound to be a magic expansion of some kind.

Going to have a look at these rules today hopefully and make more general assumptions. Game looks too simple, there must be a catch.

Can archers move and shoot then?

Warhawks look good on paper as far as their special rules go but how often are they going to be able to clear a unit?

Might be time to start thinking of some new threads now an keep this one for any more release rumours...
Last edited by frogboy on 04 Jul 2015, 09:33, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: 4th edition
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I got to say I'm not overly impressed with what has happened to my beloved Old World But and it is a big but, i am really excited about the modeling potential of the new factions, never really got into the end times so this mixing of armys is all new to me. Old school Chaos is back Baby :D :thumbsup: might be time to get a new Blood Thirster and bring out the Riders of Carnage.

Mmmmm or get some Ogres for my O&G army muhahaha the power is running through me, "Do you hear the voices too!?"
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

"Bitchslap Frogboy Batman style"
Get a grip or you will be talking with Konrad von Carstein soon. :crazy:

Nah, all in jest mate. :D

I spotted one cool thing. Wood elf Chariots are back! Check the list at the end of the warscroll were you find the info about minis not having a scroll and what to substitut them with. Well, furthest down you can read: Wood elf Chariot use rules for Tiranoc chariot
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Ramesesis wrote:"Bitchslap Frogboy Batman style"
Get a grip or you will be talking with Konrad von Carstein soon. :crazy:

Nah, all in jest mate. :D

I spotted one cool thing. Wood elf Chariots are back! Check the list at the end of the warscroll were you find the info about minis not having a scroll and what to substitut them with. Well, furthest down you can read: Wood elf Chariot use rules for Tiranoc chariot
Yeah to bad they didn't add the wanderer key word too it (or do HE have that too) so they can use all WE special abilities.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Ow not in the face :crazy:

Lots and lots of options now, I'm not going to even read any of the fluff, I'll presume whatever army I build is still stuck in the Warhammer World "Bubble"

With the simple rules and the options wide open this might just be my favourite game ever (well apart from BloodBowl of course) need to find some opponents now :D :thumbsup:
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Well, I am glad to see that they have finally got a set of rules governing the Sisters of Twilight that don't have holes in them. <.<

Praise no beer until drunk, no day until sunset, no blade until tested and no rule set until played.

I don't see this rule set replacing WFB type fantasy, unit-maneuver, table-top games... but it does have me interested in just what the heck it is.

Nobody says we can't do both. :thumbsup:

(Scrambling to be optimistic here. :paranoid: )
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

frogboy wrote:Ow not in the face :crazy:

Lots and lots of options now, I'm not going to even read any of the fluff, I'll presume whatever army I build is still stuck in the Warhammer World "Bubble"

With the simple rules and the options wide open this might just be my favourite game ever (well apart from BloodBowl of course) need to find some opponents now :D :thumbsup:
I liked the game I played with it. It was fun even though it was simple.

The rules need either some clarification for old players or there are holes in it:

There is now nothing that prevents shooting
-into a unit engaged in combat (ok.. could be)
-a unit in melee: is not disallowed to shoot (so can still shoot) at whomever they want, then next phase do melee.

Every turn you roll again for who goes first so: it could be turn 1: I start, then enemy and next turn 2 enemy then me... giving the opponent 2 turns is a row. This is clearly intentional.. but it's odd.

As I said army building is very odd.. getting troops instead of heroes is handicapping yourself. If you deploy too much troops and the enemy is allowed to get the alternative win options you basicly have lost if the enemy play well.. if you take endurance you only need to prevent getting tabled till turn 6. Assassination can be nasty if the enemy has a 12-16 HP character but it might mean he will keep that one out of combat so that might help a bit.
I think the rule my store implemented after my first game: not counting models but wounds is an improvement.

When I look at the pdf's released I think they did
a VERY good job on the warscrolls: A+, nice fluffy weapons which stats and damage seem to fit with what it actually does, nice special rules which fit our history in the old world and the old magic items they had, seems a bit balanced (if you would compare them with their old stats etc).
the 4 page rulebook is just not enough and creates some odd stuff which I mentioned above. (ok the shooting when in combat COULD be working as intended.. but as an old fantasy player I find it odd.. I'd really need to hear GW wants this before I believe it)
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

I found one cool thing in our armylist. Hounds of the hunt are a unit. That's so cool.
Also, I think the different hero selections seem quite balanced throughout the armies.
The game seems to be dumbed down to nothingness, and I really don't get army building in this game at all.

And can someone tell me what the heck wanderer gives a unit? All the wood elf units got it but nowhere can I find what that implies
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re:

Post by Aezeal »

Baardah wrote:I found one cool thing in our armylist. Hounds of the hunt are a unit. That's so cool.
Also, I think the different hero selections seem quite balanced throughout the armies.
The game seems to be dumbed down to nothingness, and I really don't get army building in this game at all.

And can someone tell me what the heck wanderer gives a unit? All the wood elf units got it but nowhere can I find what that implies
A lot of the buff abilities on our woodelf characters benefit only wanderers.
It's basicly saying it's a woodelf (next to the Aelf keyword which the former high elfs also have, high elves all have the highborn keyword). Our forest spritis have the sylvaneth keyword and tey have abilities that benefit sylvaneth (teleporting through the forest that TMA and Durthu can summor for example).

And the hounds can be summoned too.
I also like the summoning of dryads on the branchwraiths.
Turin
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Turin »

In regard to AoS I have to agree with Bardaah ... ugh, ugly and not my cup of tea until now.
I'm starting up Khorne as you can see in my Thread in the Meadow of Arts, but I can't really connect to any of those new Models.
Their Look doesn't scream "War" or "Combat", they just scream "Evil".
Could be any evil cult, and I'm not drawn to the cannibalism theme either.

The Knights - Wow - Masks more human than their descentants in 40K were able to make... errr.
No, don't need a single mini of those, too.
And I own a lot of Space Marines AND Bretonnians ..

Bad Start for AoS in my regard, but I'm officially not the wanted audience anymore.
Their loss.
If they start producing something new I like and can incorporate, I'll look into it again.
Until then, let's look into Openhammer ... :sexy: