"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by Blackcat »

The removal of the rules that made fantasy so different from 40k will for me most likely be the end of my fantasy gaming. I will happily play 6-8th ed fantasy if any of my friends want to, but with the game now being skirmish there is almost no reason to play fantasy over 40k. I am really sad. The new models do look cool but all that time and money I have invested into ranked up units seems like a complete waste of time now.

I am hoping that once I get to read the new rules in full I will still feel somewhat tempted to play fantasy but I really dont feel it anymore.
Polycotton
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Polycotton »

I only play with my mates who I have been playing with for some 20 years now. Not too bothered by this dumbed down Age of Fantasy Space Marine game. We will continue playing 8th and tweaking rules and items where we can agree. For a start I'm going to start using some magic items from the old army book, might actually be able to make some fun Wood Elf Lord fighty builds.
DocDropPod
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by DocDropPod »

Blackcat wrote:The removal of the rules that made fantasy so different from 40k will for me most likely be the end of my fantasy gaming. I will happily play 6-8th ed fantasy if any of my friends want to, but with the game now being skirmish there is almost no reason to play fantasy over 40k. I am really sad. The new models do look cool but all that time and money I have invested into ranked up units seems like a complete waste of time now.

I am hoping that once I get to read the new rules in full I will still feel somewhat tempted to play fantasy but I really dont feel it anymore.
100% agree.
These are my feels too.

Quite grief stricken at how long I've been playing Fantasy in a this current way to now change to something a love child of LotR wrote.
I do love the miniatures and the coming fluff however! The only awesome part.
nXken
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: WE

Post by nXken »

Guys,

You do realize 9th still has to be released? :)
(\__/)
(O.o )
(> < )

This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

There is no 9th. Warhammer ended with 8th. This is the replacement.
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Archeos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Archeos »

Cernunnos wrote:There is no 9th. Warhammer ended with 8th. This is the replacement.
This !
WHFB as we all know end with 8th, you can see in the "End Times" rules and system a sort of "8.5 th" edition
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Hi Cernunnos,

I think this very valid point is going to take a while to sink in!

Any idea when the "War scrolls" for our existing Wood Elves (Aelf) will be released?
I am going to give Age of Sigmar a go as I like games that last about 1-2 hours using about 60 models per side; but it will be a completely different game from the 8th Ed for sure!
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I think a lot of the warscrolls will be out very shortly, I've heard in the next few weeks! but hey, don't forget the Sodium chloride :nod:

razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Warscrolls are due this saturday. I also have no intention to play unbound armies. My hope is that they will release whfb rules as open ruleset as wizards of the coast did with 3,5 ed d&d. When 4th sucked heavily, they returned to their roots in 5th ed. d&d.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

razorfate wrote:Warscrolls are due this saturday. I also have no intention to play unbound armies. My hope is that they will release whfb rules as open ruleset as wizards of the coast did with 3,5 ed d&d. When 4th sucked heavily, they returned to their roots in 5th ed. d&d.
they won't do this as it will take away from the new system.

razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

On the contrary they should do as they should not alienate old players. But guessing it will not happen... :confused:
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

If they were to release the 8th rules for free, they would need to make 8th edition statlines for all the new models in order to keep 8th edition players buying models, which is their business. I can't see it happening, but it would be nice :)
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I heard some rumor that said even the scale of the miniatures would be changing slightly so that the old models would look out of place next to some of the newer models in order to get people to buy new models. Taken with salt, but the pics of the new Sigmarines would seem to corroborate it, GW wants 8th edition to die it seems.

Time to bring back project Manticore.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

razorfate wrote:On the contrary they should do as they should not alienate old players. But guessing it will not happen... :confused:

They don't care about alienating old players, As an ex employee of them I know this. They know that some will leave, but are hoping that given time they will come around to the new game. If they released 8th ed as a game it would detract from the focus on AoS. they are devoting their time , effort and money into AoS there's no way that they'll go back. Warhammer as a game has gone. End of. I will play 8th and try AoS, if I like it; fine, if not I have 8th, 40k, Doctor Who... I won't be stuck for things to play.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Anyone seen these photos yet...
Hydra
Hydra
Ogres
Ogres
Round bases
Round bases
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Polycotton
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Polycotton »

I also dig smaller scale games that are quick and fast. The problem for gw is that there are already established and better systems out there that I would much rather play.
I've also got a mid war german army to put together for flames of war.
Archeos
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Archeos »

More images here, with the description of the factions

http://eltallerdeyila.blogspot.it/2015/ ... r+de+Yila)
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Soon the theme of this thread will move on to speculation on the new elf rules, once the basic game rules are official. I don't play 40k, but I'm curious about the eldar rules because that seems like the best example to draw our expectations for AOS from.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Merlin Elf friend wrote:Hi Cernunnos,

I think this very valid point is going to take a while to sink in!

Any idea when the "War scrolls" for our existing Wood Elves (Aelf) will be released?
I am going to give Age of Sigmar a go as I like games that last about 1-2 hours using about 60 models per side; but it will be a completely different game from the 8th Ed for sure!

According to rumors warscrolls for every currently produced model would be released on releaseday (4th).
Hyarion wrote:I heard some rumor that said even the scale of the miniatures would be changing slightly so that the old models would look out of place next to some of the newer models in order to get people to buy new models. Taken with salt, but the pics of the new Sigmarines would seem to corroborate it, GW wants 8th edition to die it seems.

Time to bring back project Manticore.
It was based on the size of the sigmar guys.. but considering these guys aren't humans but some sort of angelic beings from the realm of air they might just be a bit bigger than the rest. If they continue the old humans and elves models (it would be a waste to ruin all those molds (new wild riders for example) I'd guess then it might not be that bad. I think there will be the inevitable powercreep favoring new models though.. it happens in Magic, it happened in old warhammer so it will happen again in AoS.

I must say the lore sounds interesting. I just hope the rules are decent too.
Cernunnos wrote:
razorfate wrote:On the contrary they should do as they should not alienate old players. But guessing it will not happen... :confused:

They don't care about alienating old players, As an ex employee of them I know this. They know that some will leave, but are hoping that given time they will come around to the new game. If they released 8th ed as a game it would detract from the focus on AoS. they are devoting their time , effort and money into AoS there's no way that they'll go back. Warhammer as a game has gone. End of. I will play 8th and try AoS, if I like it; fine, if not I have 8th, 40k, Doctor Who... I won't be stuck for things to play.
Good attitude.. give it a try and if it's not for us.. then we look for something else.

For me it will depend on what we can still do with strategy. I hope scouts will still get some sort of scout option.. I mean it's not in the rules Ivé seen so far.. but if they get something like: always deploys last on the warscroll it could still be in. I guess a lot of stuff will be on the warscrolls. I guess vangaurding will be gone but I dont'care much about that it's a bit of a silly rule anyway.
frogboy wrote:Anyone seen these photos yet...
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Shamelessly stolen from Twitter :thumbsup:
I can't really see it all very well.. but are those new models?
Polycotton wrote:I also dig smaller scale games that are quick and fast. The problem for gw is that there are already established and better systems out there that I would much rather play.
I've also got a mid war german army to put together for flames of war.
I don't know the other games really.. how do ou kow these others are better?
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I've not been reading the scans of the rules that have been posted completely yet but I wonder if someone knows the answer:

Are the units all 1 predetermined size? (GG always 10, WR always 5 for example?)
Do we only kill whole units now, not removing single models anymore? (a single wound stat for the whole unit)
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

No to both questions.

Units are minimum one model and no max, except for characters who are always one model.
Still kill single models.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

I don't know about the unit sizes, but I understand that it's all about models. You kill models not units. The battleshock tests (after combat) can result in some but not all models in a unit fleeing. Fleeing models are now removed from play instantly, rather than running to be chased down.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Hmm I don't get how they balance armies since there seem to be no point costs, I guess we will have to see.

This article has an interesting thing:
http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... uture.html

It mentions no 9th, no huge rulebook etc etc.. what we've been pointed at the last few days..

but the 2nd part mentions something like "ravening hordes style rules"... I wonder what that will be.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/07/ ... irmed.html

Treeman/dryad army ? Will they be living in a seperate realm than the elves I wonder? They would fit either life or beasts... and elves could be in either too.
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

From what I see besides space marines models is that everyone else is just putting what they have on round bases. It seems ridiculous but at least what we have no could and probably will be used in the new games.I think I can adapt to something like that. but still hoard armies (like undead) which are supposedly still going to be active will be a real pain to deal with moving wise haha Elves on the other hand (wood elf specifically) will probably have a great time in this edition and probably will have lots of movement characteristics hmmmm could be fun but its still just fantasy marine game. lol
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...