"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

ikken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by ikken »

just checking the GW Canada site and noticed all the army books are gone .
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Take a deep breath....
Attachments
keep calm.jpg
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

Please note: No more army books!! ALL rules FREE!!!! Blimey, someone has had a knock to the head at Lenton!!

This was an email sent out to stores!
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

T.D.
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by T.D. »

From Warseer:
A big thank you to Anthony from thesustainablecenter for the following information. Follow Ant @TSustainableC and on his youtube channel.

From my friend who I game with weekly that owns a store:

From GW. Just got off the call with them:

1. There will be no rule book. Ever.

2. All rules will be free. for ever.

3. All models will come with a “scroll” with its stats and rules.

4. All scrolls will be dowloadabel for free on their site starting July 2nd. I will get it all on the 2nd.

5. ALL current miniatures will be supported. they are producing scrolls for every single miniature they current sell.

6. The new boxed set comes with 18 good guys and a hero, 29 chaos and a hero, dice, ruler, 4 page booklet for rules, and 96 page fluff book that sets the background. $125.retail

7. There will be no new 9th edition. ever. this is the new game they will support.

8. They don’t think that’s a problem, as you will be able to use your armies and play it how ever you want. there are no complicated movement rules. Movement is very fluid.

9. they once again said they are a miniatures company, not a games company. but with that said, they want to produce miniatures and support them with a game that lets you use as many or all of your miniatures as you like. so if you want to play with a few fine, or a bunch fine too.

10. rules. it’s a turn base game. you roll off before the beginning of each turn.
there will be magic rules, maybe even cards, not yet.
there are some scenarios in the 96 page book, but the idea is to encourage creating and playing to as many diffrent scenarios as possible (like saga)
it’s still diced based.
bases are no longer important. since movement is so fluid. they chose round because models look cooler on them. you cana keep playing with squares and movement trays.

11. fluuf will be handled with the models as they come out. tons of new things for all factions to be released.

12. no limited edition stuff. but if models don’t sell they will migrate to direct sales on their website (special order) and iof people still don’t buy them, they will be not be supported, but instead will be discontinued once the stock is depleted.

13. Game seems to be fast, and furious.

14. there are no more “armies” persay. instead you build your forces based on the category at the bottom of each battle scroll, :Stormcast Eternal”, “Chaos” “Magical” Elves” Old ones, skaven/dark forces (or whateveer they’re called) etc.

15. the fluff is as rumored:
Old world totally gone. Sigmar saves a bunch of sould (presumably many) of all races.
He discover 8 realms. and populates them. then sets up way-gates to each, and shoots them via lightning bolts onto the worlds.
then they work to stave off chaos. i super simplified this here. sounds much cooler than i just explained.

16. they assured me it’s all about playing how we want, and them being able to sell new models to new people who want to get into a new game, but don’t want 175 models.

17. they fully understand that the scene will now have folks who play with lots of modles and people who play with a few.

18, they couldn’t tell me yet, but it seems the first to be supported will be Elves, Chaos, Humans. new elven stuff for sure.

19. all new scenery and 2×2 tiles for the battle boards.

20. as many of us have been saying for over a year now. it is a totally different game. no more warhammer fantasy. no 9th edition. rules are to be this 4 page pdf period. there will be no 185 page book in the future, or army books. they will have campaign books, fluff books, and so on, but the game has been set up to be about how the players want to play it within the age of sigmar rules environment (guidleines really).
Fantasy is now completely dead. and this new game wants to give us the flexibility to write our own version of the game.

seems fairly interesting if it pans out. Here they are taking a page directly from rules such as Black Powder. interesting actually when you realize that original warhammer fantasy and black powder were written by Rick Priestly. they went back to the master for this…at least in spirit.

The overall idea is:

SPEND MONEY ON MINIS, AND DON’T SPEND MONEY ON A BUNCH OF RULES
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Very intriguing.

"Play how we want" can mean many things to many people, I'll be curious to see what that means in actuality.

I'm rather concerned by the bit about "bases are no longer important." At some point, you are going to have to measure something. You can either measure from the standard sized base, which simplified things because they were standard sized and the shape of the thing on top of it was essentially unimportant (as long as it had an unambiguous "front"). If bases are no longer important, I can only assume you are measuring from the model itself rather than the base. Which part of the model? I have Werewolf Treekin which are rather short and squat lacking the branches of the official Treekin models, will that cost me a competitive advantage because I will lose the half inch of LOS and charge range (gained by losing the range for folks shooting at me, but the point is valid).
-I have Warhawk Riders converted from Warmaster Dragons. Some (the HE dragon) are wide but not deep. Some are not wide, but very tall (the Chaos Dragon), some are short but very deep (the O/G Wyvern) will I have to retire those models because they are too irregular?
-I have a 5th edition treeman, I have a 6th edition treeman, and I could easily add an 8th edition treeman. All 3 vastly different shapes. Are we still using 8th edition's True LOS? or have we gone back to 7th edition's "Implied LOS"?
-One person I played against when I was in Stockholm used a 12" stick with some eyes and arms added on glued to a base as his treeman, how would the rules cover that?

Too many fundamental (and potentially troubling) questions for me to get excited yet.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

With the latest batch of rumours, I am beginning to feel cautiously optimistic, and being Scottish, that can be a bad thing, especially with our track record in Rugby and Football in recent years :roll:

Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Starting to feel a little more optimistic; as long as the Age of Sigmar Wood Elves don't turn out to be ELDAR with spears and bows!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Hyarion wrote:Very intriguing.

"Play how we want" can mean many things to many people, I'll be curious to see what that means in actuality.

I'm rather concerned by the bit about "bases are no longer important." At some point, you are going to have to measure something. You can either measure from the standard sized base, which simplified things because they were standard sized and the shape of the thing on top of it was essentially unimportant (as long as it had an unambiguous "front"). If bases are no longer important, I can only assume you are measuring from the model itself rather than the base. Which part of the model? I have Werewolf Treekin which are rather short and squat lacking the branches of the official Treekin models, will that cost me a competitive advantage because I will lose the half inch of LOS and charge range (gained by losing the range for folks shooting at me, but the point is valid).
-I have Warhawk Riders converted from Warmaster Dragons. Some (the HE dragon) are wide but not deep. Some are not wide, but very tall (the Chaos Dragon), some are short but very deep (the O/G Wyvern) will I have to retire those models because they are too irregular?
-I have a 5th edition treeman, I have a 6th edition treeman, and I could easily add an 8th edition treeman. All 3 vastly different shapes. Are we still using 8th edition's True LOS? or have we gone back to 7th edition's "Implied LOS"?
-One person I played against when I was in Stockholm used a 12" stick with some eyes and arms added on glued to a base as his treeman, how would the rules cover that?

Too many fundamental (and potentially troubling) questions for me to get excited yet.
Probably just measuring to base but b2b contact not that important anymore. A huge base would make it different.. but not so much.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

http://www.belloflostsouls.net/2015/06/ ... rules.html

hmmmz that doesn't sound like warhammer to me.. I guess I'll try it.. but chances of me ending up playing 8th hammer are increasing... I guess a lot will depend on what the few guys I play with do too, bravely playing AoS when noone else does doesn't work.. nor does saying I'll play 8th when the rest goes AoS ofc :D.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/s ... post501332

Seems it's true.. huge surprise for me I must admit.. I guess the people who said it wasn't warhammer anymore where right after all, this isn't a new edition of the game I play.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

It is very different. A bit of LOTR but simpler than LOTR. There you could do interesting things like shielding and stuff.

Still, for some fast and dirty action on the kitchen table it should work I guess. But Oldhammer and Kings of War is were the field battles remain today
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Yeah I don't care much about lore changes.. but huge changes in the rules are less to my liking. I'll just try it and then see what the group wants to do.
Aemir_II
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aemir_II »

In my region only 40k players are happy about all that (kinda same rules, round bases and low cost to enter). Old school FB players are having funeral and willing to play 8th Edition (and fanbooks) forevermore.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

"Save your Confederate money boys, the South shall rise again!"

Now I'm not yet prepared to replace my Wildrider's banners with little rebel flags but in this particular context let's just say that I will not be tossing out my 8th ed stuff any time soon.

So... just what's up with this "Kings of War" anyway? ...hmmmmmm
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I have the Tamurkhan model and plague toads, I am now wondering how I use these in AoS!

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Age of Sigmar looks like a quick "beer and pretzels" game. For those who are looking for not much more than that, I think they will be quite satisfied with Age of Sigmar. I intend to play it as such knowing full well that it likely will not be capable of scratching the itch I have for a deep tactical game; however it doesn't appear that Age of Sigmar will be able to hold my interest enough like WHFB has.

I'll be extremely curious to see what happens in 2 years. Will Age of Sigmar 2e start creeping in large scale unit formations and tactics like we know now? Because GW sees that there is still a market for massed fantasy battles? Time will tell.

As it is, I think I'll keep on chipping away at project Manticore.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Luckily 8th edition rules are solid so there was no real need to update the rules. If AoS doesn't fit me I hope I can find 8th players.

it might be that with special rules etc the game can end up keepign enough depth to be interesting though. Easier movement doesn't mean there will be no tactics anymore.. and even simplified rolls end up being rolls in the end and now with a certain WS you usually hit at eitehr 3+ or 5 + anyway. I do wonder about the wounding rolls though, I can't imagine you would wound a treeman on the same roll as a goblin.. though it might be the intention to put that all in the save roll. (I must admit I never really understood why a high T treeman got a bark armor save too.. that should basicly be in the T already.).
ikken
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by ikken »

the one hope i have in this is the whole free rules thing . maybe they will release 8th as an open gamming lisence to allow it to exist , now that they are not supporting it , or even put it up for free on there site .
that would keep their old customers happy and still allow them to support AOS
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

ikken wrote:the one hope i have in this is the whole free rules thing . maybe they will release 8th as an open gamming lisence to allow it to exist , now that they are not supporting it , or even put it up for free on there site .
that would keep their old customers happy and still allow them to support AOS
You have two hopes my friend, No hope and Bob Hope....

Seriuosly, they want folk to play the new game, there is no way in high water they'll support 8th ed in any way. All the FAQ and army books have gone, and everything will be rebranded.

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Well colour me interested!! now that Chaos will be totally intergrated, along with Skaven, this could get interesting from an army standpoint. I have a rather large plaguebearer army, loads of beastmen and Chaos warriors. Add my whopping hooge Skaven army and I'll need a bigger boat!!

However! I sill have the rules for the rather excellent Backtree design Doctor Who wargame they released donkeys years ago! I'm goig to dust the rules off and get the miniatures for that instead!! you need a darn sight less and it's good fun. will add to my Unit and Dalek forces first I think! Or even the Doctor Who miniatures Game; rules are free there too!! :D

EtherDude
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by EtherDude »

Link is to a scan of the core rules from an upcoming White Dwarf. Some interesting things in there.

http://www.pdf-archive.com/2015/06/30/scan0004/
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Wow, there is a lot there.

With some modification, there is some good stuff there, but taken in context of WHFB, it's mostly excrement. Taken in it's own context, it could be a fun evening.

I'll be interested to see how the Warscrolls complement this.

razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Lol it really has the to wound roll on the warscroll.. same to hit and same to wound against any target.