"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by frogboy »

Their basically like angles, "Warriors of the God-King arrive on shafts of lightning" these guys have come from somewhere else to kick off the invasion, so it sounds like the World as we know it has been consumed by chaos and these "Warhammer Meh-rines" want to put things straight.

I already hate them flying ones, despite the shiny paint job.

Its basically the exact same stuff going on in 40k, soon where going to find out that actually this whole time the Warhammer World was just a backwater planet in the 40k universe.

So much negativity right now :mad:

I mean Warhammer Space Marines :question: really :question: boooo :thumbsdown:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Trent wrote:Image

Saw this in the depths of the internet.

Please someone tell me it's a photoshop and I've been trolled.
So basically stole this from the Warhammer Forum, Anyone see the boltgun in the left hand image ?
Its different to the other image, i guess its fake, for a moment i had hope...

space meh-rines, in fantasy... :cry:

:cry:
Natrapx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Natrapx »

Some good news for us all, I've seen a brief picture of the rule book, and it had the rules for the dryads....

Strength 4 is back :)
Unit size 5+, skirmish.
2 wounds
31 points.

Also with 3 "dances". 1 gives +1 attack, one gives +1s/t and one gives -1a to attacker.

Could be interesting!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I do see the sigmarites as nice opposites for Chaos. Hopefully that means chaos isn't always the most tought looking army which is destined to win (end times proved me right).

Dryads lolz.. my old metal ones (blocky treestump guys) on the 25 mm bases I must have like 15 of those.. and since I restarted a year ago I've never played with dryads but as "collateral damage" on my 2 ebay buys I have 30 of the new ones too... I actually like their look (unlike the treekin) so having them viable would be nice.
But 31 points for a 2 wound model seems a bit on the high side.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Wow you really know how to dress it up...

Dryads sound cool, I keep going through waves of hopefulness and then sunken nausea, I really do hope the new game is good and if you think of all the other really great skirmish games they have realised over the years then there is a positive to look forward to.
But I loved the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Will be such a shame to not hear any more stories from there...
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

The more I think about it, the less I'm concerned about losing units and play style. The 'sigmarines' can't replace my buddy's Bretts, because the game still needs human knights, and elves will surely have the guerrilla tactics on lock-down too. New models may be extra over-the-top, but a sharp razor knife can remove most of the absurdities.
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
Natrapx
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Natrapx »

Points wise, that could be fairly ok what with the whole system being reset, won't know for a while.

In the pic I saw, there was a line from the entry above stating light armour and a shield can be brought for 1 point each, it is for a "guard" somthing but the text is cut out above.

Oh, and the dryads are special choice.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Gah, want to see the rulebook now. The real one and not that mere 4 pages PDF. That cannot have both rules and info on all units.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Four pages would be enough for the two armies in the box exactly. Especially since there are no missiles involved as far as I can see.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Sceolan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sceolan »

Natrapx wrote:Some good news for us all, I've seen a brief picture of the rule book, and it had the rules for the dryads....

Unit size 5+, skirmish.
2 wounds
31 points.

Also with 3 "dances". 1 gives +1 attack, one gives +1s/t and one gives -1a to attacker.

Could be interesting!
Are you serious or are you trolling? What about cavalry? 2 wounds as well? Sounds a lot like our dryads in 5th ed..
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Well I can't say I like these new developments, because I really don't. Simply put, at the risk of sounding like an 80's action film character, this isn't what I signed on for.

But, I just can't find the energy to write more about it. I think after my disappointment with the 8th edition Wood Elves re-release, and my disagreement with the ET series, I'm all ranted out. For now at any rate. Really all I can feel when I look at these proposed releases is... emptiness.

Oh well. I switched off from the official rules after the 8th edition Wood Elf book came out, and I switched off from official background after the ET series, so aside from not being able to buy models officially soon (which IS something I'm deeply unhappy about, as I don't like getting models second-hand), it's not like this really affects me that much.
frogboy wrote:But I loved the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Will be such a shame to not hear any more stories from there...
Don't be so sure there Frogboy! I for one fully intend to keep coming up with stories set in the Warhammer World (sort of), and like I've mentioned before if this site continues to be the home for pre-AOS Warhammer Wood Elves, and the demand is high enough, then I'd be happy to post them on here for others to read. There'd be a few differences since my own background has to adjust the setting a little bit to undo the ET series background, but the Warhammer World itself would be largely intact.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Hey, lets sig up for Animosityverse! Advanced time line with the world intact!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Ramesesis wrote:Four pages would be enough for the two armies in the box exactly. Especially since there are no missiles involved as far as I can see.
Yeah no missiles, no magic. Seems like a very boring game for people like us who know the whole game.. but it might be a good start point for some 13 year olds.

Kinda makes it an extra entry level: low price (GW'd better get that right) and low complexity

And if they go to the full game the completity ramps up but hopefully the step up costs will be a bit lower than they where.
Sceolan wrote:
Natrapx wrote:Some good news for us all, I've seen a brief picture of the rule book, and it had the rules for the dryads....

Unit size 5+, skirmish.
2 wounds
31 points.

Could be interesting!
Are you serious or are you trolling? What about cavalry? 2 wounds as well? Sounds a lot like our dryads in 5th ed..
Yeah good old dryads that where usefull. Well as I said.. I have some by chance so if they are usefull I will play with them again (I think at least 20 of them are painted even).
frogboy wrote:Wow you really know how to dress it up...

Dryads sound cool, I keep going through waves of hopefulness and then sunken nausea, I really do hope the new game is good and if you think of all the other really great skirmish games they have realised over the years then there is a positive to look forward to.
But I loved the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Will be such a shame to not hear any more stories from there...
Hahaha I don't see why the current world would be less entertaining.. the mini part of the story that was readable on those pages posted certainly looked interesting to me.
Nicholas Nitro wrote:The more I think about it, the less I'm concerned about losing units and play style. The 'sigmarines' can't replace my buddy's Bretts, because the game still needs human knights, and elves will surely have the guerrilla tactics on lock-down too. New models may be extra over-the-top, but a sharp razor knife can remove most of the absurdities.
Well I can't imagine there won't be human Knights anymore.. GW can ask tons of cash for Knights.. and they will.
Natrapx wrote:Points wise, that could be fairly ok what with the whole system being reset, won't know for a while.

In the pic I saw, there was a line from the entry above stating light armour and a shield can be brought for 1 point each, it is for a "guard" somthing but the text is cut out above.

Oh, and the dryads are special choice.

You sure you didn't see the 5th edition army book?
Ramesesis wrote:Gah, want to see the rulebook now. The real one and not that mere 4 pages PDF. That cannot have both rules and info on all units.
I want to see it too, rumors about when that will follow are vague though. (I doubt Ill be playing AoS .. I can't see how dutch teenages would get into the game if it's only sold in 1 shop in the 2 major cities.. but if they'd want to play I'd not mind doing so to get them interested. Take one for the team etc :D)
Kakapo42 wrote:Well I can't say I like these new developments, because I really don't. Simply put, at the risk of sounding like an 80's action film character, this isn't what I signed on for.

But, I just can't find the energy to write more about it. I think after my disappointment with the 8th edition Wood Elves re-release, and my disagreement with the ET series, I'm all ranted out. For now at any rate. Really all I can feel when I look at these proposed releases is... emptiness.

Oh well. I switched off from the official rules after the 8th edition Wood Elf book came out, and I switched off from official background after the ET series, so aside from not being able to buy models officially soon (which IS something I'm deeply unhappy about, as I don't like getting models second-hand), it's not like this really affects me that much.
frogboy wrote:But I loved the Warhammer Fantasy setting. Will be such a shame to not hear any more stories from there...
Don't be so sure there Frogboy! I for one fully intend to keep coming up with stories set in the Warhammer World (sort of), and like I've mentioned before if this site continues to be the home for pre-AOS Warhammer Wood Elves, and the demand is high enough, then I'd be happy to post them on here for others to read. There'd be a few differences since my own background has to adjust the setting a little bit to undo the ET series background, but the Warhammer World itself would be largely intact.
What was wrong with teh 8th ED WE's? I think the new army book and the new models are pretty neat.
Nice thematic wild riders. Waystalkers taht are snipers. I've read all army books through and trough and sure the accents are differnt but really the essence is the same. What about it put you off so much?

I really liked the end times novels myself even though i'v e not actully played end times rules games. I guess the world isn't what it was anymore but the stories are probably still written by the same guys so I assume they are same quality.

I wonder if the models will really be discontinued, rumors are a bit hazy on that.
Ramesesis wrote:Hey, lets sig up for Animosityverse! Advanced time line with the world intact!
Gl with that.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

How many times have we seen GW trot out stuff like this in the past? Epic Space Marines. Space Hulk. Man 'O War. Warmaster. Bloodbowl.

But they always come back to the core. 40K and WFB.

I'm just going to sit back and wait and see. (sip my bourbon)
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

The latest rumor kinda annoys me.

These choas and sigmarites are clearly bigger than humans used to be. I'm fine with that for superhumans buffed by their god but it would be pretty annoying if the new elves are a head taller than the current elves. Seriously.. I can deal with most GW could throw at us except invalidating all my current models. It will probably mean I'll just not buy any GW stuff except 2nd hand untill I have my old models payed back.. and that would probably last longer than I expect to live (for the record: I think I have a solid 50 years ahead of me).

Bill: you assume this is something completely seperate from WFB and not a low complexity game which can be expanded into WFB?
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

Indeed. It has to be connected with an eventual bigger game because it makes no sense otherwise. GW would not start removing army books and rule books from their shelves and doing all that for a simple stand alone game. And leave miniatures. No, it must be an introduction piece for something bigger.

But it is worring if they increase the scale. That means that all talk about us being able to use the old minis is really rather cynival. Think of it. Yes, we would be allowed but they count on our estethical sense to feel awkward ilning up new models besides the old ones and even see the difference between yours and the opponents modern army. But it is very calculated IF that is the case.
They say our old armies, maybe as fresh as a month or two are still perfectly legal but they want us to keep buying minis. And what more perfect than having us buy until end time ends and then making us feel forced to start replacing everything? After all, that is how buisness operates today.

We have to remember that the staff in the stores are just number to the higher upp. Not numbers but really an added cost. Not an asset but a necessary evil that bleeds their coffers. Now, it is the people in the stores that will have to face eventual dissapointed customers. Now, they may not be that many, but some may be long time customers who while not always buying lots have bought this thing and the thing. It may be tough for the staff to see what may have been a friendly face, maybe even someone you almost feel that you know turning up with a bitter look. As a staff you are supported not to care, you are not supposed to empatize for real, you are supposed to sell things. And you get paid to face dissapointed customers.

I would not want to be staffing a GW store these days. So please folks, if you are dissapointed, do not take it out on the staff.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

To answer Aezeal two rungs up; I don't know. It could be but if all these reports of GW pulling rulebooks and minis are correct it tells me that this Age of Sigmar thing is a replacement and not merely a supplement. Would GW replace a 30 year old game and all of it's attendant rules and models. Sure they would if they thought they could make it work. What you must realize is that;

First: GW has NO loyalty to tradition, custom OR "FORMER" CUSTOMERS. They are all about "what have you bought from us lately?" Their business goal a few years ago was to get us buying $50.00 PER MONTH. That's 600 dollars per year. How many of us who have been playing this game for 10+ years are going to buy 50 dollars/month worth of stuff from GW? New, young customers, playing a new game, with new figures are the way for them to go. They don't give a tinker's damn for us old sweats who bought up the vast bulk of our stuff years ago. All that they can sell us is new rule books and that has been the plan for years now. That and the new minis to go along with the new rules. But that's peanuts compared to selling a whole new game system with attendant rules, figures and odds and ends to a whole new generation who have nothing.

As an aside - why do newbies like the idea of a new system? Because they can compete on a level field. Us old sweats with our well fleshed out armies who can field just exactly what we need in any circumstance are discouraging to play against. With a new system they can start fresh as more or less equals.

Second: Will GW make everyone's figures obsolete by starting a new line much larger than the old? Hell yes. That's the whole point. Sell new miniatures. Ask my old Squat Clanlord if GW will discontinue a miniature line in the blink of an eye without a second thought to what has been invested in it by the customer. They did it to me once before with 40K and it looks as though they might be doing it again with WFB. Would not surprise me in the least.

Third: How do you get rid of all of the used armies floating around out there? You know all the people who are always showing up on the site to sell their old armies right? How many times have you gone to e-bay to get stuff instead of GW? Well a completely new system removes all competition from old figs being recycled. Those armies now go into the rubbish bin or the attic instead of e-bay. A world's worth of old GW stuff becomes obsolete overnight. Hey presto! Everybody has got to buy new stuff. From GW and ONLY GW.

I am afraid that if they do this to me again they will succeed in driving me completely out of the GW universe. Fortunately there are other places my Amazonian-Elves and my old stand by Orcs can go. And I will go there if I have to. I have no more loyalty to GW than they have had to me.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
GeoffDiGeoff
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Elves

Post by GeoffDiGeoff »

Guys, look on the plus side. If the rumors are true, and the scale is now larger, we get a whole new load of shiny elves to buy and paint :) Yay! We got some nice models with the last book release, but naff all with Khaine. Bring it on I say :) Look at the positives, embrace the change, it's going to happen whether we like it or not.
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

Anyone else find the pictures of the children with a flyer really weird?

Are they really going to market this to five-year-olds?
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

nah Bill I disagree with you on the "new game" thing. I think the rules will be similar in the end so it's just a new version of WFB.

I guess I'll just have to wait and see about the size of the stuff. Yes all the things you and Ramesesis mention could be reasons for GW to increase the mini size. Since I restarted a year ago I have probably bought for 300 E from Ebay and only 80 from the store so people like me are a problem for GW, I can see that. Still I invested 200 of those euro's only 3 weeks ago (have got the mini's at home 1.5 week now.. I love em :D. If GW had been more clear in their intentions I'd probably not have bought them. If GW's prices had been 25% lower I'd have probably spend all 200 E on more of the new wild riders and new EG. I like GW products but GW pricing just prevents me from buying unless I really can't hold myself :D)

I'm not quite sure what I'd do if this happens though.. GW will always let you play with your old mini's I'm pretty sure of that, there won't be a hard rejection of them... as one of you said.. if they are bigger a lot of people will just start replacing their old army. I wonder if I will do that. I might be tempted to just buy MORE of the ebay armies and proxy untill the end of my life :D .. except for the huge center pieces.. I will always be a sucker for stuff like that (/me waves at my new treeman who still hasn't been played with).
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council

Post by Ramesesis »

My treeman has not yet been assembled. I hope to do it some time soon.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Ow you really should do that it's a great model. I really love Durthu especially. I was tempted to give him a spearish thing instead of the regular sword but I ended up deciding to go with the normal pose since its very good. I now have 5 treemen I don't use. Old Durthu with the huge hand & 2 old metal lumpy treemen the size of current treekin (all 15 year old), the bigger sticky treeman (previous version) and new Durthu... and I'm not playing with any of them :D

Ok back to the topic now :D
Jossebuschman
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Bretonnians, Romans, Greeks, Vikings, CoA.

Post by Jossebuschman »

Citaat
OK, a tiny bit more info about the new Age of Sigmar box, we now know it is £75 retail (comes with the 47 figures that have already been spoiled on 'interwebs as well as rulebook and the usual accessories). If you place a £10 deposit by the 4th of July you get it for £67.50, which goes down to £60 if you have a full loyalty card smile-emoticon, and we can post them out as well. Blurb so far:

Games Workshop is proud to introduce you to Warhammer – The Age of Sigmar. The old Warhammer World is gone. It exploded and now we can only look ahead at what is to come – The Age of Sigmar. Together we are about to explore new realms. Exciting new adventures lay ahead, with brand new miniatures and new scenarios, set in brand new landscapes. We are opening new realms. Let’s embark on the very first battle of this new era.

The old Warhammer World is gone, and so is Warhammer Fantasy. Forget what you know about Warhammer Fantasy, as Warhammer – the Age of Sigmar is nothing like it. We are going to introduce you to a whole new experience. A brand new game with brand loads of new miniatures and brand new rules.

It is different to what you will expect. It is different to what we have done, but it will amaze you and all your customers. Don’t worry. Warhammer Fantasy miniatures stay relevant. Old miniatures can still be used, however how you will play them has changed. Size doesn’t matter anymore. Whether you want to play with 10 or 100 miniatures, it is all possible in Warhammer – The Age of Sigmar.

The change is big, but you and your customers can still use the existing miniatures. On the 4th of July all the new rules will be available digitally on our website for FREE – It will explain to you how the new game works, and how you can use your old miniatures. The rules will be available in many languages (including Dutch). The new rules for each miniature will also be in the newly rebranded boxes.

Square bases and movement trays are gone. The new and rebranded products will now come with oval and round bases. However don’t worry, as you can play the game with any base shape you want. No need to rebase your existing miniatures. Bases are now only used to stand up your miniatures and you can use whatever shape base you like most.

Four pages?!?!

Sounds like they sacrificed complexity for ease of play.
Now there's a frood who knows where his towel is!
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Interesting that the rules will be out before the boxed game. How long do we figure before the first FAQ comes out? July 5th at least, right?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

No FAQ's take years with GW usually :D

Well that quote says the rules will be very different.. I wonder what they'll change. Seems more dramatic than I anticipated. Well in a week we'll know more.