"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by Hyarion »

Agreed, MerlinEF.

Age of Sigmar is GW's attempt to revitalize the Warhammer brand, by providing an easy intro to the game for new players but also by updating the rules for what is a defacto "9th Edition" (even though it isn't called that). Unless they expect everybody to switch to Chaos or Sigmarites, they need to be very skillful with the timing of the rest of the releases (Elven armybook, Undead armybook, full BRB, etc). I'm rather concerned that we haven't heard anything else regarding any further releases.
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Merlin Elf friend wrote:I will be very disappointed if you only get withdrawn Empire and Chaos models in the Starter Set (maybe with one unique character) and only enough "rules" to play with the models in the box!

I certainly won't buy that!
Here's hoping you are wrong about this at least.
Why do you hope I'm wrong? What is wrong with a boxed set trying to get new players in the game? You don't have to buy it. You can wait (ok waiting is disappointing maybe) for more complete rules and the army book for your army of choice. I don't think I'll be buying this box either (if this rumor is correct) but I do hope GW gets a bit bigger player base again for fantasy.
Hyarion wrote:Agreed, MerlinEF.

Age of Sigmar is GW's attempt to revitalize the Warhammer brand, by providing an easy intro to the game for new players but also by updating the rules for what is a defacto "9th Edition" (even though it isn't called that). Unless they expect everybody to switch to Chaos or Sigmarites, they need to be very skillful with the timing of the rest of the releases (Elven armybook, Undead armybook, full BRB, etc). I'm rather concerned that we haven't heard anything else regarding any further releases.
They've shown they can release a lot of books in a short time.. I guess they could do that for fantasy too if they want. But if this really is a box which could work stand alone it might be we get a few 40K releases before we get more rules and army books

Well I guess in a week we'll know which rumors where correct and then we can hopefully know more about what happens to the elves (who cares about chaos and sigmarites)
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Of course GW can release a lot of books in a short time, nobody is saying they can't. But when that has been the case, there has always been a solid leadup of rumors roughly outlining the full release. I'm just concerned that we haven't heard anything else about the rest of the release wave. GW has a comparatively large amount of interest built up right now, the tail end of the big End Times event and the beginning of the Age of Sigmar "event", they need to manage it skillfully and that doesn't seem to be the case at the moment. As someone who wants this to succeed for GW, it doesn't seem like they are managing to get the job done.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Hmm I see your point but ít's obvious that if they release a new edition and there are no armies to play with people will leave (to kings of war maybe)... GW should know that and while a lot of people seem to think there are no brains in the GW HQ I think it's not that bad :D. I think either we'll be able to play with the old armies or theý'll have the new armies all ready with book.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Don't get me wrong, I want GW to succeed with "The Age Of Sigmar", new Fantasy players are always more than welcome!

I think Hyarion has a very good point with how this is managed, also "quote: I'm just concerned that we haven't heard anything else about the rest of the release wave. GW has a comparatively large amount of interest built up right now".

This I find very worrying; as my local store has about 20 players interested in an "Age of Sigmar" campaign but only one or two want to play Empire/Sigmarites, and about 5 want to play Elves of different "types", hence my disappointment if sufficient rules are not in place to play our beloved "woodies" or at least a mixed Elven List.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Exactly.

Unless they are really changing the playstyles of the armies in question, I have no interest in playing Chaos or Empire/Sigmarites. I prefer low armor, high mobility, combined arms armies which is what drew me to Wood Elves in the first place and that's what has kept me in the hobby for so long. It doesn't make sense for me to shell out what I assume will be ~$100 for an Age of Sigmar starter box if all I want out of the box is the rulebook. Especially if there's no certainty that the rulebook will contain the fulfillment of GW's promises that "...you will be able to use all your current models...".

But neither is my patience infinite, I want to be excited, I want to start planning and scheming tabletop domination, I want blood and guts and veins in my teeth. Instead as someone who isn't interested in Chaos or Sigmarites I'm being told.... a big resounding nothing. Neither a "you can play on day 1" like with 7th and 8th edition. Nor a "just wait 2 weeks, then your book will come". It's like going to the prom with your cousin, hard to get excited about.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I'm guessing new players will be on the new game, older players and probably tournaments will continue in 8th edition until they have rules.

As far as the models in the box go i'm guessing there going to look sweet. Also I have a chaos army :D

Also going to say I don't believe the rumours about the turtle orcs, not sure if that's been dispelled yet or what but i'm not having it :wink:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

Hi Frogboy,

I have seen a couple of posts elsewhere, saying the "Turtle Orcs/Wargharkin" was a "false rumour - don't worry about that at least!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Merlin Elf friend wrote:Hi Frogboy,

I have seen a couple of posts elsewhere, saying the "Turtle Orcs/Wargharkin" was a "false rumour - don't worry about that at least!
Hopefully :D :thumbsup:
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Once again, Hyrrie Claus bringing rumors to the good girls and boys and frogs.

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/06/the- ... rules.html

http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/06/age- ... tents.html

Enjoy! Discuss.

NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

Well, the box minis content looks pretty in line with the Isle of Blood starter box, except for the rule book, but if the other rumor is true, then we won't need to worry about rule books at all.

It looks a lot like Infinity or Malifaux support for players (free download of the rule book and rulesets along with models in their boxes), which is good IMO.
Samoht
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos Dwarfs, Beastmen, Dark Eldar

Post by Samoht »

I'm no business expert, but Games Workshop seem to be stuck in a previous decade in knowing how to build up hype or buzz about a product.

Movies and games put out trailers displaying tidbits for a year or so before the actual release. You have images popping up, leaks of information, even open tests and customer feedback on a range of products, that all build hype. Silence does none of that. The only people who get hyped by total silence are people like us who are already invested and worry with the uncertainty.

To an untrained eye, it seems as though Games Workshop think that not being copied is more important than getting the product famous.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Re: SIGMARINES!!! HO!!!!!!

Post by Cernunnos »

ohh!! :eek:
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Well, if I didn't want to play Sigmarines before, I certainly don't now. Too much of a Final Fantasy vibe for my tastes. But it is great to finally see some leaks and pics.

Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

But it turned out the more exotic rumours were correct. Welcome, He-Man hammer
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Final Fantasy meet WoW.

How will they twist our dear elves you think?
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Rammie, I need no more nightmares, thank you ;)

Mithriella
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves only :)

Post by Mithriella »

Ramesesis wrote:Final Fantasy meet WoW.

How will they twist our dear elves you think?
Maybe with long pointy ears like in WoW, but I don't like how the look on them :/ to much science fictions and not enough warhammer fantasy :( so I might end up with stick to 8th editions..
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Looks like 40k? :confused:
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Ramesesis wrote:But it turned out the more exotic rumours were correct. Welcome, He-Man hammer
Can't believe this, Space Marines! Really?
Mithriella
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves only :)

Post by Mithriella »

It will just help warhammer fantasy at all will I say if they look like this :/
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

there's not enought skulls for the chaos models, I can still see some bare skin. :D
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446