"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Re: Ninth Edition - End Times for real?

Post by Phazael »

When they redid 40k a couple years ago, it was a giant mess and not very well received. The tournament community largely rejected parts of it. They were pretty quick to put out another new edition shortly thereafter.

My gut feeling is that they are going to do something very radical (by GW standards) with their fantasy miniature lines and probably back pedal if (and when) it tanks with "9th edition" , similar to what went on with 40k. This is as much an attempt to rename stuff to prevent another Chapterhouse debacle as it is an attempt to renew sales for fantasy. I am fairly certain they yanked all the books to prevent the community at large from just ignoring it and continuing with 8th, but I think there is a very real possibility that a lot of events are going to do that anyhow. Basically, GW clearly does not know how to market or communicate with is customer base and are willing to wager the existing fantasy customer base on a long bet to start a whole new game. Its spitballing while blindfolded and they cannot (nor should) compete with PP. All they seem to be doing is handing over their existing base to Kings of War.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Hyarion wrote:Disclaimer: I have not heard anything to indicate that "not much would change". At this point I would take even that claim to be a rumor to be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism and a dose of salt not recommended by the American Medical Association.

I know we don't always credit GW with a lot of intelligence, but by virtually all accounts, Warhammer as a brand has been losing money essentially since the start of 8th edition. Not necessarily due to 8th edition, but that timeframe roughly fits in with the period we've been hearing about that Warhammer has been failing as a financially successful product. I do think GW collectively has enough business sense to know that doing more of the same and expecting a drastic upturn in revenue is not a sound decision. For that reason, any rumor claiming "not much would change" would lose a bit of credibility until proven.

With that said, it could be a hoax (renaming some of the stats), but it could still be a hoax and be somewhat closer to the truth than we think. I remember when next edition rumors were first circulating back around ~2013 when it was speculated that 9th would be a minor corrective to 8th like 7th was a minor corrective to 6th. Now it seems like 9th will be a major revision like 8th was to 7th, my thinking leads me to believe that it will be more like going from 5th to 6th, completely changing the nature of the game aka a big change.

Time will tell. Unfortunately, it seems like the local game shop won't be running any sort of Age of Sigmar kick off weekend and the might not be stocking it at all so I'm not sure where I'll be able to check out the rules before buying it. Take lots of notes for me!

Hmm if I need nothing from the models (chaos and new empire) then I won't buy the set probably. I'll wait for the mini version of the rulebook. I have no intention of starting a new army and even if it's possible I won't be using allies, at least not to start with.

Cernunnos wrote:Apart from potentially losing our army, ( and the wfb setting)what's everyone saddest about with the passing of 8th?
Hard to say because I don't kow what we'll be loosing ruleswise. I think the 8th edition rules are solid so I hope not too much is changed.

I can only say what I'd like to see changed and that is magic (I never played end times so no idea if going that way is better). I hope there will just be low level spells, no spells which are now the 6th ones.. I prefer buffs (and not okkam style oness) and hexes and 2 D6 S4 or 3D6 S2 damage spell instead of dwellers and stuff like that).
Also I hope they turn the dial back a bit on ranked troops: if you kill a lot before they can strike it should have some impact on the nr of attacks you get in return (but not like a few edition s ago that when you kill everything in b2b contact you get no return attacks.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Phazael wrote:When they redid 40k a couple years ago, it was a giant mess and not very well received. The tournament community largely rejected parts of it. They were pretty quick to put out another new edition shortly thereafter.

My gut feeling is that they are going to do something very radical (by GW standards) with their fantasy miniature lines and probably back pedal if (and when) it tanks with "9th edition" , similar to what went on with 40k. This is as much an attempt to rename stuff to prevent another Chapterhouse debacle as it is an attempt to renew sales for fantasy. I am fairly certain they yanked all the books to prevent the community at large from just ignoring it and continuing with 8th, but I think there is a very real possibility that a lot of events are going to do that anyhow. Basically, GW clearly does not know how to market or communicate with is customer base and are willing to wager the existing fantasy customer base on a long bet to start a whole new game. Its spitballing while blindfolded and they cannot (nor should) compete with PP. All they seem to be doing is handing over their existing base to Kings of War.
Seems like a decent guess and makes sense. What I don't understand is why are the End Times books still for sale?

Cernunnos wrote:Apart from potentially losing our army, ( and the wfb setting)what's everyone saddest about with the passing of 8th?
Flying carpets and folding fortress'
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I actually played a game with folding fortress a few games ago... I'd build a big treefortress for it (not very good looking but it worked as a fortress... didn't do much for me in game.. but the opponent was: WTF are you bringing into the shop now.. which was worth it all in itself.
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: wood elves

"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

Seen crazy rumors about the new game and wondering if anyone would like to discuss a topic that nobody actually knows anything about?
here's a link http://www.beastsofwar.com/warhammer-fa ... overdrive/

Here are some topics/ideas that jump to mind.

1. Depending on how movement will work (no mention of a stat), seems like glade-guard will have greater ability to scatter in a 'multiple small unit' build.

2. Lots of female models being introduced into both human factions? Is this an attempt to appeal to a new demographic? A submission to modern social/political issues? A diminishing of one of the wood-elves most distinguishing traits? Or just nerds molding over-the-top women to appeal their most base of instincts?

3. Re-basing (from square to circle) any specific old units for an advantage? 'Legacy model' rules be damned. I think it might be useful for glade guard, scouts, and waywatchers and might look good for wardancers.

4. Single use magic cards? Crazy new magic system? Good riddance to the current one, I say!

5. Female orks? Why? Are they not an asexual fungus?

Could be all just a bunch of #@!*, but feel free to chime in and make your opinion heard.
Last edited by Hyarion on 19 Jun 2015, 11:26, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Editing out a swearword.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: "Age of Sigmar" speculations

Post by frogboy »

There's already a thread with plenty of discussion about this topic, i'll use my awesome super powers and merge them together...
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

frogboy wrote:There's already a thread with plenty of discussion about this topic, i'll use my awesome super powers and merge them together...

Thank you!! I was about to paste a linkepoos for it.
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

No don't merge them! This thread will be limited to "presumed sociological implications."
"Herald of Athel Loren" Limited Edition Book #0165
AoS is the greatest!
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

By the Power of Greyskull...

I HAVE THE POWER!

Ok I've merged and moved the old thread into this one as I've been meaning to move it over here anyway...
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Seen crazy rumors about the new game and wondering if anyone would like to discuss a topic that nobody actually knows anything about?

1. Depending on how movement will work (no mention of a stat), seems like glade-guard will have greater ability to scatter in a 'multiple small unit' build.

2. Lots of female models being introduced into both human factions? Is this an attempt to appeal to a new demographic? A submission to modern social/political issues? A diminishing of one of the wood-elves most distinguishing traits? Or just nerds molding over-the-top women to appeal their most base of instincts?

3. Re-basing (from square to circle) any specific old units for an advantage? 'Legacy model' rules be damned. I think it might be useful for glade guard, scouts, and waywatchers and might look good for wardancers.

4. Single use magic cards? Crazy new magic system? Good riddance to the current one, I say!

Could be all just a bunch of bullshit, but feel free to chime in and make your opinion heard.
Here's your question I so unkindly ignored...
Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I feel oppressed...
AoS is the greatest!
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

And we do it for you with kind hearts
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:I feel oppressed...
Why oh why do I feel a Monty Python quote coming on!!

frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Nicholas Nitro wrote:Seen crazy rumors about the new game and wondering if anyone would like to discuss a topic that nobody actually knows anything about?

For Wood Elves I think the skirmishing really suits a lot of their units
I like that their is an increasing amount of female minatures being produced theses days and it's about time GW fall in line
Obviously will be a problem to existing armys, but there are a lot or round base games out there. This is a massive change, Warhammer Fantasy will be no longer.

Magic has always been a little hit and miss and when it's a hit it dose seem a little overpowered. I think it makes sense to simplify it to start with being that it will be a completely new system/rules/stats and round bases so plenty else to think about. They can always expand it later (guessing it's going to be small to start with)

Could be all just a bunch of #@!*, but feel free to chime in and make your opinion heard.
Didn't they steal this idea from LoTR ? Anyway I'm not sure or if it's unique but I do like the fungus orcs single sex all the way, I am a frog after all.

And what about Turtle Orcs, like WTF!

My conclusion to all this has been a sad one up to now. But at least if these changes are true GW may have invented a great new game to play. Might start playing it. Also with the death of Warhammer Fantasy we can alteast still play it using existing rules YAY :thumbsup:
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

1) I really like the MSU option. I'll like it better if we get the 7th edition style skirmishers rather than the 8th edition variety though.

2) I don't really care about this one except for that GW needs to be very careful to avoid the 'Chainmail Bikini' syndrome.

3) I haven't heard much about how the movement phase rules or the LOS rules will be changing, so I"m not sure how much of an effect this will have. Time will tell.

4) Sounds like LOTR SBG-style magic. Overall, a big positive IF they combine it with Warhammer's spell variety and ease of dispelling (rather than LOTR's). On it's own, LOTR's magic system was good, but rather bland and limited.

T-minus 22 days, on your marks.... get set.....
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Hyarion wrote: 2) I don't really care about this one except for that GW needs to be very careful to avoid the 'Chainmail Bikini' syndrome.
More and more female characters beginning to show up in fantasy novels and such. Also more and more females are actively involved in such things as Sci/fi conventions, role-playing games and yes, even table top fantasy (and even non-fantasy) wargames. It would probably be wise on the part of GW to recognize the trend.

On chainmail bikinis - that concept is probably a holdover from another day. It was all the thing when I was a teenager reading Red Sonja comic books but I think the mainstream has gotten past it for the most part. Look at the superhero movies coming out today. These ain't your daddy's girls.

As the possessor of a custom built Amazon army of over 275 lead and pewter figures, none of which are exactly alike and almost all of which have been converted to some degree or another, all of whom are "dressed" for a hot, jungle climate, and the whole of which has been slowly assembled over the last 27 years, I ask the question - and just exactly what is wrong with chainmail bikinis? :sexy:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Hyarion wrote:http://natfka.blogspot.com/2015/06/an-i ... igmar.html

Lots of goodies. Enjoy!
These are completely different to the other rumours...
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

These rumours seem more probable to me. More in line with recent 40 K and end times developments AND more in line with previous rumours.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

And also a bit more believable to boot!

frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Don't know what makes one rumour more believable then another but what I know is that it means I can't believe anything until the real release. Oh well
Mithriella
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves only :)

Post by Mithriella »

frogboy wrote:Don't know what makes one rumour more believable then another but what I know is that it means I can't believe anything until the real release. Oh well
Can only agree with you because it is all rumours so we dont know about they are true or not yet..
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

I think it's because some rumours sound more plausible than others. It's all still speculation, however it does read more sensibly and a tad more grounded.

Nicholas Nitro
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Nicholas Nitro »

I'm glad this rumor kind of squashes the 'female ork' rumor. I'm all for diversity, I have a 120 female glade-guards (I call them the glade girls), but I think it needs to be sensible and have merit.
I think it's kinda like how marvel comics has been turning classically white characters into black characters in an attempt to refresh them for the movies. It can work often enough, depending on the character...
but no film-maker should ever do a black Tarzan.
AoS is the greatest!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Not only more believable but it also fits more with the previous rumours.. but I'll see in a few weeks. It's not like I'm going to do anything about it.. or anything with it till it's released anyway :D