"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Re: Ninth Edition - End Times for real?

Post by Cernunnos »

T.D. wrote:This discussion reminds me of Schrodinger's cat :lol:
That's been my point. I made the same comment a page or so ago :D
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Inneadim whorship the dreamers, gods that have dreamt themselves, basically the elven gods. They live on their own world and protect the dreamchild. Under Araloth they founded enclaves on Regalia in search for the archelves, lost gods of their pantheon. They are a darker take on the elves, nightmare are as much part of their culture then dreams. They use necromancy and the death god Ynnead is at the centre of their pantheon. But they still live in symbiosis with the nature. The artwork shows an elf on a feathered mount, not like a chocobo, but more like a feathered raptor. the artbook shows pictures (and rules) from all existing elf armies.
Does anybody else see the possibility that the Elven faction could be moving to the category of 'evil' armies or forces of destruction or whatever the new name for the category is?

Would that change anybody's views on playing Elves if they did make such a move?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Only if I can still use Orion :sexy: well it sounds more like wood elves, neither light or dark, neutral in all respects;just like nature.

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Quite possibly, but necromancy and death gods at the center of a pantheon doesn't seem neutral to me.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Death is neutral. It doesn't care if you're rich or poor, good or evil... it'll claim you either way.

T.D.
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by T.D. »

Hyarion wrote: Does anybody else see the possibility that the Elven faction could be moving to the category of 'evil' armies or forces of destruction or whatever the new name for the category is?

Would that change anybody's views on playing Elves if they did make such a move?
Take a wild guess :sexy:
T.D.
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by T.D. »

Cernunnos wrote:
Ahhh so you did.

Great minds and all that ;)
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Cernunnos wrote:Only if I can still use Orion :sexy: well it sounds more like wood elves, neither light or dark, neutral in all respects;just like nature.
I wanted to say this too when I saw Hyarions post. I'm going for neutral on the elves... I liked the idea of a dual nature very much... GOOOO WILD HUNT

I think Orion died though.. but hopefully the new world can create an avatar of Kurnous too.
But:
1. not sure if the elves still have the same gods
2. GW probably wants to make new kits to sell :D. I know I might not be buying troops for a while if they are archers or spearmen.. but a nice special character... that might be a way to get my cash :D
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Aezeal take a minute and read that link i posted. If true at all, deities are back in a big way
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

In too big a way I might say. Behold the birth of Godhammer.

I like my dark lowish fantasy, thank you.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I heard that Fishmen are going to be the new race :paranoid:

Their God is going to be Captian Birdseye :lol:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I heard he was going to be their Cod.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Hyarion wrote:I heard he was going to be their Cod.
Haha brilliant :lol:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

And the discussion of 9th edition has descended into low humor and cheap puns. Perfect actually. I FEAR YOU NOT 9TH EDITION! DO YOUR WORST! :p
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

If the rumors posted are true, i like the direction.

Dont get me wrong, i love our warhammer world as is. End Times could have been used to establish a new status quo, but as it is the world we know is done.

However, its still GW making 9th. For all their faults, they did make editions 1-8 which most of us love and enjoy(ed). 9th will usher in a brave new world with smaller unit sizes, more heroes in game, and BRAND NEW FLUFF.

Common complaints i hear about other systems is that they cant get behind the story or rules. Well 9th is rumored to be 80% the same ruleswise, and hopefully the 20% change addresses the complaints (OP magic phases, true LOS,fear/terror to name a few issues ive seen raised about the game). As for the story, much of it will be intact. Elves of three factions we liked, well now it seems we get MORE.

Im hoping for the best here, I hope most will join me!
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Related...i also take rumors with a grain of salt everything is mostly "what if" responses to them
Makiwara
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Makiwara »

Hyarion wrote:Quite possibly, but necromancy and death gods at the center of a pantheon doesn't seem neutral to me.
Sounds fairly Eldary to me, Treemen and treekin et all become our Wraithguard/knights/etc.

The way I see the elves going is the Asrai temperament and forest spirits (perhaps in a some new undead manner or relationships), the Druchii steeds and armament style with repeating xbows and new cold ones, and Asur magic, iconography, 'look' and phoenii perhaps.

That strikes me as the most GW IP protected way forward.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Cosmos wrote:Aezeal take a minute and read that link i posted. If true at all, deities are back in a big way

I only found the same thing Ramesis had already posted right?

So a good and an evil god of most things. Elves with seperate gods and a seperate world. Seems ok. I'd hoped they'd just live in a forest but I guess that was too much to ask for :S. I keep hopign we will stay the magic/archery/mobility race though I liked that a lot. According to that information there will be way more changes than previous rumors told us though.
Mithriella
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves only :)

Post by Mithriella »

Cosmos wrote:If the rumors posted are true, i like the direction.

Dont get me wrong, i love our warhammer world as is. End Times could have been used to establish a new status quo, but as it is the world we know is done.

However, its still GW making 9th. For all their faults, they did make editions 1-8 which most of us love and enjoy(ed). 9th will usher in a brave new world with smaller unit sizes, more heroes in game, and BRAND NEW FLUFF.

Common complaints i hear about other systems is that they cant get behind the story or rules. Well 9th is rumored to be 80% the same ruleswise, and hopefully the 20% change addresses the complaints (OP magic phases, true LOS,fear/terror to name a few issues ive seen raised about the game). As for the story, much of it will be intact. Elves of three factions we liked, well now it seems we get MORE.

Im hoping for the best here, I hope most will join me!
It can't be 9th edition when it it is called something else then it is an entire new game ;)
Cosmos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cosmos »

Aezeal wrote:
Cosmos wrote:Aezeal take a minute and read that link i posted. If true at all, deities are back in a big way

I only found the same thing Ramesis had already posted right?

So a good and an evil god of most things. Elves with seperate gods and a seperate world. Seems ok. I'd hoped they'd just live in a forest but I guess that was too much to ask for :S. I keep hopign we will stay the magic/archery/mobility race though I liked that a lot. According to that information there will be way more changes than previous rumors told us though.
Ooops! after i read the link i went rumor hunting and forget where i originally found it...sorry ram didnt mean to take credit or anything
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

T.D. wrote:
Cernunnos wrote:
Ahhh so you did.

Great minds and all that ;)
Of course!! :D

At least we're potentially not being called something like Waaaghkin like the Greenies are!!! good grief Penfold! Well if all models are still valid and are useable, then Orion should be in the mix!!! :nod:

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

There are quite a few reactions on BOLS at least that it has "proved" to be a hoax.. hard to tell for me if it is or not. I tend to think it's a hoax.. but I'd not really mind it if it's true. It does go contrary to most rumors that not much would change (except the fluff)... new names for the stats and how they interact, going skirmishy is a pretty big change.
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Disclaimer: I have not heard anything to indicate that "not much would change". At this point I would take even that claim to be a rumor to be taken with a healthy dose of skepticism and a dose of salt not recommended by the American Medical Association.

I know we don't always credit GW with a lot of intelligence, but by virtually all accounts, Warhammer as a brand has been losing money essentially since the start of 8th edition. Not necessarily due to 8th edition, but that timeframe roughly fits in with the period we've been hearing about that Warhammer has been failing as a financially successful product. I do think GW collectively has enough business sense to know that doing more of the same and expecting a drastic upturn in revenue is not a sound decision. For that reason, any rumor claiming "not much would change" would lose a bit of credibility until proven.

With that said, it could be a hoax (renaming some of the stats), but it could still be a hoax and be somewhat closer to the truth than we think. I remember when next edition rumors were first circulating back around ~2013 when it was speculated that 9th would be a minor corrective to 8th like 7th was a minor corrective to 6th. Now it seems like 9th will be a major revision like 8th was to 7th, my thinking leads me to believe that it will be more like going from 5th to 6th, completely changing the nature of the game aka a big change.

Time will tell. Unfortunately, it seems like the local game shop won't be running any sort of Age of Sigmar kick off weekend and the might not be stocking it at all so I'm not sure where I'll be able to check out the rules before buying it. Take lots of notes for me!

Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Apart from potentially losing our army, ( and the wfb setting)what's everyone saddest about with the passing of 8th?

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Great question.

8th Edition had great psychology rules, I'll be sorry to leave those behind.
The most recent Skaven Army Book as well, no tears will be shed.