"Age of Sigmar" speculations

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Re: Ninth Edition - End Times for real?

Post by Hyarion »

On the assumption that Age of Sigmar is either a Warhammer-Lite intro version or a pared down ruleset geared towards skirmish games, the rumors seem to indicate that the July 11 release date will be a limited release and that a full release of remaining army books/rule books will come a bit later.

Any thoughts on whether a staggered release will help later releases (by generating interest), hurt sales (a poor product released in part could turn off buyers to future sales), or those who are going to buy are going to buy anyways and those who aren't weren't going to anyways?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

I think some people will buy it just because they have money to burn, others will wait then buy it if it looks good. A lot will cry and others will fade away

It's mad that they put it up for pre order and absolutely nothing is known about it???
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

Agreed. It severely complicates the buying process for those of us who have to carefully budget money, if only because it gives us more time to talk ourselves out of a purchase.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I've actually decided to take a risk and buy a lot of old models (2nd hand) for a decent price and I'll just pray I can use them next edition. I have nothing against GW and I dont'even mind the WE might be gone that much... but their prices combined with the fact I've not felt "save" enough to buy new models have ended up with me making this buy.. so that is quite a lot of cash I will not be spending on GW stuff.. it actually might have been different if I'd known for sure what I could expect from 9th elven army ( or their prices where lower). I won't have much cash to spend on new models I fear. I still wish GW the best though.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Merlin Elf friend »

I have just come back from my local GW Store in the UK, and can absolutely confirm the release date for "The Age of Sigmar" is 11th JULY 2015 with pre-orders from 4th July.
I have a GW produced "Launch Party" invite with those two dates on it - nothing else except a Logo, and "BE THERE AT THE BEGINNING".

So my gut feeling is the "start all over scenario".

I think it will be the skirmish game starter set; but cannot confirm this as yet.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Keeping people in the dark about their next update seems silly, as soon as rumours start coming out then surely a lot of people stop buying stuff until they know exactly what will happen next?

Hey Merlin Elf Friend, hope you have fun and be sure to report back ;)

Edit; "BE THERE AT THE BEGINNING" That's got to mean something, from what is written on the website it looks like the Old Ones may make a return, perhaps they will re make the world after its unmade?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

MerlinEF, take notes, take pictures, take fingerprints, take plaster moulds, take the last train to clarksville and I'll meet you at the station, we want details!

Have lots of fun!

My impression of "BE THERE AT THE BEGINNING" is that Warhammer is that this is more than a new edition, this is a complete reboot of the brand, even moreso than the rumors have led us to believe. How do you get from the End Times to that? The Old Ones seem as good an explanation as any.

Joolz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves and Dwarfs

Post by Joolz »

I think that an introduction to a more board game like approach will happen in WFB aswell. Like that limited 40K board we saw before on GW website. Perhaps also more scenario based Warhammer play with more terrain based playstyle. That's the vibe i got from the store-manager anyways. Also old models will still be on the shelfs he said. I specifically asked about it. For some reason it was to expensive to remove them (don't ask me why =b).

The Pre-Order thingy before even knowing what it is is just bonkers :crazy: !
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

frogboy wrote:Keeping people in the dark about their next update seems silly, as soon as rumours start coming out then surely a lot of people stop buying stuff until they know exactly what will happen next?

Hey Merlin Elf Friend, hope you have fun and be sure to report back ;)

Edit; "BE THERE AT THE BEGINNING" That's got to mean something, from what is written on the website it looks like the Old Ones may make a return, perhaps they will re make the world after its unmade?
Also
Can what is dead ever truly die?
I'd say the undead will be back.. probably nagash too.

I REALLY think they will not be ditching the new big models yet, that would not be appreciated I think.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Thinking the models will stay the same too, they would have paid a fortune to get them made up and all the moulds for them etc. They'll want to get their money back for that surely ?
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

I think the core models will stay the same, it doesn't make sense to pay shipping to ship the models back and recast them (or sell them via internet direct only).

However, I strongly believe some of the big unique End Times models will be written out of the game. Special Event specific models are bought and sold on the understanding that they are only intended for the context of the special event and are collectibles or diorama pieces after that. While they might be beautifully re-purposed later on (Glottkin as a proxy for a GUO, Nagash as a Casket of Souls Icon, etc), unless you play an End Times game for nostalgia purposes in a year, nobody is (or should be) expecting a special event specific model to be valid in it's original purpose after the event is over.

Nobody expected the Teutogen Guard to be included in the Empire army book after the Storm of Chaos, or some of the Slayer warmachines for the Dwarves after the same event.

Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

You might be right.. I'm just happy I didn't get that stuff then.

More onto woodelves.. I'm pretty sure we'll be able to use archers in one way or another and scouts, WW and GG are a pretty large part of my models.. and the same for spearmen.. but the forestspirits...the treeman is pretty new but is less of a fit in a pure elven list which has left "wood" behind. (though I'm still thinking the list should steer more towards WE and not HE or DE since they are just empire with pointy ears anyway).
Mithriella
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood elves only :)

Post by Mithriella »

Aezeal wrote:....WW and GG are a pretty large part of my models..
Hehe I got it on same way with my army :P I got a hell lot of WW and GG to and a few forest spirit models hehe
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I must say that while I'm not directly negative about the elves being 1 faction I do have some fears.. with a lot of units to choose from there is a real good chance stuff has to be cut. I do hope they dont'eliminate too much of the iconic WE units. I mean.. I like the special arrows but I could live with those going. But I'd hate to see the waywatchers be deleted, same for the wild riders, I really like their current incarnation. wait and see wait and see.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Hi Hyarion,

Loved that Last Train to Clarksville ref, you must be almost as old as me LOL!

Though not set in stone, the vibe I was getting from my local GW Store manager was that most of the "newish plastic" models are safe for awhile at least eg New Treeman (I think characters {probably outside units} and monster units are going to be a major part of the 9th ed) also I think EG/WWR, SoT/WRs will survive though maybe with some "tweeks" - no idea what though. In a similar manner I think anything in resin/finecast such as Treekin are going to go.

I have to agree that more specific End of Times Models eg Glottkin will be phased out and "new Toys" will replace them in six months plus; but I am getting into the world of gut feeling/intuitions here NOT facts.

The other thing that seems to ring true, is that The Age of Sigmar will be more scenario based and that there will be new WHFB terrain pieces coming out around Yule, again not set in stone; but I think a very real possibility.

I will certainly keep you posted, also on a positive note a couple of new part-time staff have been taken on at my local GW so maybe light at the end of a long tunnel at last GW wise.
Good Hunting! Merlin ef.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I think GW terrain pieces are such expensive money sinks (good looking.. always with GW). Every time I'm in the shop I see the box of the tower.. and I think.. damn that looks good.. and then I see I can buy 3 boxed sets of troops for the same price and I decide I'm not going to buy either.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Unless you have a special favourite (terrain piece) that is a "must have" I would wait a while, fairly sure the general look and feel is going to change, getting more Hammers less Skulls for "Empire", could also be slightly less "Dark", this is with the idea of attracting younger players into the game, so may have to be a bit more "PC".

Anyone got access to 3rd Edition material as I think some old favourites make appear, my intuition is telling me this is where to look for part of the story, the other influence I keep feeling is HMM V (HEROES OF Might and Magic 5) especially their "Griffin Empire" War Priest/Inquisitor with LARGE Hammer and Bishops Mitre anyone!

Just for Frogboy their "Wood Elves" have two types of Unicorn; or how about Flying Magic Unicorns with rainbows - just kidding LOL!!

Felt I needed to lighted the depression out there - Good Hunting one and all.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I will probably never spend the amounts of cash GW asks for terrain pieces on terrain. I find them too expensive, not to mention I really only play in the store anyway so don't need them at home.
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Ok Aezeal,

No problem then, it will be interesting to see if the GW Store Tables change in look with the advent of the "Age of Sigmar"; if so this could give an early insight to the 9th Ed.

Regards Merlin Ef.
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Unicorns FTW :D :thumbsup:

I've always liked GW terrain and I've also never bought any :)
Whatever happened to piles of books under a blanket ;)
Merlin Elf friend
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Must admit I can remember when "terrain" was made of card and came inside the White Dwarf; I still have the Elven Mansion that came with the "Tears of Isha" campaign set (High Elfs vs Dark Elfs) - lol that was so long ago!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

frogboy wrote:Unicorns FTW :D :thumbsup:

I've always liked GW terrain and I've also never bought any :)
Whatever happened to piles of books under a blanket ;)
Hmm never used piles of books under a blanket.. but I guess we feel the same about the terrain.. beautiful but expensive. SO it fits just with the rest of the GW stuff... but I need to models and the terrain doesn't have that point... so everytime I just spend cash on units :D
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Oh I just remembered I got a citadel wood :D :thumbsup:
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Now the question is (well less of a question since you are not playing but still).. Are you happy with the wood? Or do you think you'd be MORE happy with for example a box of the new gorgeous wild riders which cost about the same.
Etheneus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by Etheneus »

And now the army books,T&T and ET have an new line added to them on gw page:
This product will be removed from sale on June 26th. The Age of Sigmar is coming!

So ET was playable for 6 months. Glad I didn't buy the last two. (and I know I can stick with 8th rules and ET but still doesn't feel good)