Sisters of the thorn

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Sisters of the thorn

Post by sunstrider »

"Excuse me sir" roll.

"Excuse me sir but there is a cannonball coming, allow me to block it with my body sir"
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: AAAARRRGGGHHH!! too many to mention!!

Post by Cernunnos »

sunstrider wrote:"Excuse me sir" roll.

"Excuse me sir but there is a cannonball coming, allow me to block it with my body sir"

Carry on number one! I'm off for a spot of tiffin.
Proud owner of Ltd Wood Elves book 446

sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

I just played another game with a 5 man unit of sisters yesterday at 1000 points and I take back what I said. They took out a unit of handgunners and a hellblaster volley gun while providing me with magic offense and defense for the entire game. I'll admit I was quite wrong about them >.<
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Caved in and bought a 2nd box, should they be 1x10 or 2x5?

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

sunstrider wrote:I just played another game with a 5 man unit of sisters yesterday at 1000 points and I take back what I said. They took out a unit of handgunners and a hellblaster volley gun while providing me with magic offense and defense for the entire game. I'll admit I was quite wrong about them >.<
Still there are some games where the sisters doesn't do anything, as you fail to get them in a favourable position. They have a huge potential (other than acting as a bunker) but the result depend greatly on how you move them. I have used a unit of five in all the games I play, and it is difficult not to auto inlude them in every list :roll:
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

I'm beginning to think I have been overlooking a major card in our deck. Even to the point of thinking that SotT units should perhaps be paired one to one with Wildriders.

Now you guys have got me itching to try these babes out. Of course first there's this tiny little detail of unpacking, assembling, painting, basing..... <.<

Sisters of the Thorn - not just for mage bunkers anymore.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Hmm GL trying it out.. I'm not convinced yet, I'll stick with the WR for now :D
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Still there are some games where the sisters doesn't do anything, as you fail to get them in a favourable position. They have a huge potential (other than acting as a bunker) but the result depend greatly on how you move them. I have used a unit of five in all the games I play, and it is difficult not to auto inlude them in every list :roll:[/quote]

this can be said though for just about any unit in the game. :nod:

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

That is true :D

With sisters the problem is the 12" range combined with high price tag. You don't want to put the unit in a position where there is a high risk of losing them. In non-optimal situation most units in the game can at least try to do something other than just evade. ;)

Other shooty fast cavalry units are at lest cheaper and usually have longer range as well. So sisters really need to get behind enemy to get most out of their potential. Curse is always good spell to have, but shield is only useful if you plan to be in combat.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Kaese wrote:That is true :D

Other shooty fast cavalry units are at lest cheaper and usually have longer range as well.
True - the base cost is higher than GR - but that changes quickly once you start adding in the cost of enhanced arrows. Now throw in the fact that the Sisters are a self contained mage with a 4+ ward save and poisoned, armor piercing Javelins with a BS of 5 and the cost begins to look like not so much of a problem.

Also, unlike GR the Sisters get to begin the game on the table. I am beginning to see a smorgasbord of possibilities for mixed forces of GR, WR and SotT, particularly in all mounted armies. (I like all mounted armies! :thumbsup: :nod: )
Last edited by Billthesurly on 15 Jun 2015, 18:46, edited 1 time in total.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

Regardless of specific circumstances where sisters would or would not be useful, the important takeaway is that they are pretty good at multiple roles. BUT, counting on them to fulfill more than one role while on the field of battle is relying too much on one unit, that can be focused down pretty quickly due to their small numbers.

My recent experience with them fulfilling my magic needs and rolling up the back line of an empire army at the same time took a fair amount of luck. Usually a unit of 5 would go down to the number of shots the empire player was putting into them, but a combo of misfiring from the hellblaster and outflanking the handgunners turn 1 meant they had a favorable position from the start.

So I think including sisters in an army list for one specific reason then using them for other things when the opportunity presents itself is the best way to employ sisters in an army
Hyarion
Elder of the Council

Post by Hyarion »

It seems like just about every list I see on here has a Spellweaver of some variety leading their army. Would SotT provide enough magical firepower to make an effective magic phase with 2 units of SotT and a Lv 2 Singer?
The Warrior of the Silver Flame
I hold the Glaive of Law against the Earth.

If you refuse to capitalize on your strengths or make the most of your opponent's weaknesses, you are begging to lose.
There is no combat without movement.

Kaese
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Kaese »

My intention wasn't to compare the sisters with glade riders, but more or less with a generic shooting fast cavalry unit from any army. Sisters are way too expensive if the plan is to use them just as a normal fast cavalry unit.

The ward is good, but they are still fragile unit. Shooting is terrible if you compare to our other units and the magic capabilities are not that great either. Sisters are not the best unit for any purpose, but they are the most versatile component in our book. Kind of an swiss army knife on rollerblades.

If you have a unit in your list, you will almost always find a purpose for that unit no matter what the opponent has. Because of that I would take them over wild riders.
razorfate
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by razorfate »

Hyarion wrote:It seems like just about every list I see on here has a Spellweaver of some variety leading their army. Would SotT provide enough magical firepower to make an effective magic phase with 2 units of SotT and a Lv 2 Singer?
Well then your magic defence lacks very much and you habe to force spells to be irresistable in order to cast them and loose bunch of sisters if succeed. And curse is no good to msu armies.
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Post by Phazael »

Actually, its not as crucial as one might surmise. I managed to go 4-1 with two pairs of sisters and Orion leading the army (no other mages) at Pauls CoC GT, but I am used to running low magic armies. Basically, it comes down to a few changes in tactics in the magic phase. Elves without any forest spirits can get away with it because they really don't care about most of the more common spells in the main meta (i.e. Lore of Deathsnipe, and Lore of Mindrazor) for various reasons, so it just comes down to blocking key magic missiles and debuffs. Its not easy and takes some practice, but its very doable.

The main reason I consider the Weaver the default leader for a competitive list is the same reason I like the Sisters. The Unicorn Highweaver brings the most versatility to the table of any WE lord choice. Plus, she is arguably the best combat character the book has to offer.
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Post by Phazael »

razorfate wrote:
Hyarion wrote:It seems like just about every list I see on here has a Spellweaver of some variety leading their army. Would SotT provide enough magical firepower to make an effective magic phase with 2 units of SotT and a Lv 2 Singer?
Well then your magic defence lacks very much and you habe to force spells to be irresistable in order to cast them and loose bunch of sisters if succeed. And curse is no good to msu armies.

Actually, its just as good. Minus one to hit is the best defensive spell in the entire elf army and cursing the main leadership bubble unit to separate it from the rest of the army is very powerful. Tip a fight far enough from the LD bubble to case some panics and you can flip entire games. Typically, you will get three spells on average off with the Sisters and they can stop two with dice, assuming no bad rolls by either side. So two curses (either defensively, or on shooter units) and maybe thorns to heal something/tip a fight against chaff, is very doable and plenty to do in any magic phase.
Sceolan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Sceolan »

Interesting use of sisters. I'm thinking of a double dragon list with two five packs of sisters to hunt warmachines and chaff. And don't forget the s4 of their uber mounts!
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I might try them out instead of a level 2. I don't really believe in them as combat troops.. but as a level 2 with decent spells you KNOW you will get they might be worth it if I can leave the level 2 at home. Except I'm not going to buy them till I know how 9th armies look.
Cernunnos
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Cernunnos »

Aezeal wrote:I might try them out instead of a level 2. I don't really believe in them as combat troops.. but as a level 2 with decent spells you KNOW you will get they might be worth it if I can leave the level 2 at home. Except I'm not going to buy them till I know how 9th armies look.
Why not have a wee game and run a proxy unit of them? Get them while you can I have heard boxes are only there to complete any collection and not up for re stocks!

sunstrider
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by sunstrider »

You should buy them anyways, because they are beautiful models that are a ton of fun to paint. Well at least I think so, I'll have to post some pics soon :P