Magic Idea

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Saniles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Magic Idea

Post by Saniles »

Has anyone considered doing a heavens singer and a death weaver with the goal of destroying leadership and then spirit leeching characters out of the enemy? If so, has anyone tried it? Was it successful?
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Re: Magic Idea

Post by Mollesvinet »

I am afraid that spirit leech uses unmodified leadership (with the exception of inspiring presence due to the FAQ)

Death magic already has doom and darkness that gives -3LD, so that would have been very powerful if it worked that way. Back to the drawing board I am afraid :(
Saniles
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Saniles »

Boo,hiss and foot stamping
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

"unmodified leadership" doesn't actually mean it hasn't been modified. Its one of those gw logic things...

According to the faq: "your unmodified leadership is the highest leadership characteristic in the unit. So the leadership from any characters in the unit itself (but not from outside the unit, from Inspiring Presence for example) with a higher leadership can be used unless specifically stated otherwise."

So your plan could work I think. Unless Im misinterpreting the faq.
Scalps claimed by Shadowdancer: Ogre Tyrant, Kharybdiss and Demon Prince.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

I think that might mean the unmodified highest leadership though. Like a heroes Ld 9 instead of Ld 8.. I don't think spell effects or other outside sources count (except IP).
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

From my reading of it, you can't use the general's leadership, but you can use the leadership of characters in the unit. And it doesn't actually say it prevents it from being modified by spells or something like that.

Etc comp faq agrees with you that it cant be taken down by spells, but thats not necessarily a rule interpretation as they are also trying to balance the game.

I'm honestly not sure how this is usually played since death isn't used much where I play.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

According to as it's written and official GW FAQ, in my area it's played like this: you use the Ld value printed on the statline of the model, UNLESS the model is under the Inspiring Presence of its General. In this case, the General's Ld value takes the place of the model's one for any purpose.
Everything else (spells, banners, continuous effects, etc...) is.considered a modifier, thus ignored for the purpose of Spirit Leeching.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

youngseward wrote:According to the faq: "your unmodified leadership is the highest leadership characteristic in the unit. So the leadership from any characters in the unit itself (but not from outside the unit, from Inspiring Presence for example) with a higher leadership can be used unless specifically stated otherwise."
I think spells counts as "outside the unit". However, this would make it possible to run my double death singer without a lord as the sisters of thorn are LD9 and the banner of discipline arguably will count as "inside the unit". But I think I will still stick with the dragon, because dragons are cool and mine is called Gregory.

EDIT: Actually, spells counting as outside the unit doesn't make a lot of sense either. This FAQ entry doesn't make sense in fact. The general concensus is that LD penalties does not work with spirit leech, but I think it is another issue where we have to wait for 9th and hopefully have it cleared up.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

I don't understand how people think inspiring presence works for unmodified leadership? The faq specifically says its not applicable as it is from outside the unit.
Mollesvinet
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Mollesvinet »

It is a specific entry in faq that says inspiring presence does work for spirit leech and mindrazor.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

Hahahahaha. Well then. This faq definitely makes no sense... I've said it before and I'll say it again: gw logic.
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

The most logical way to me seems just one:

On the statline you read a Ld value, then you use that value for Spirit Leeching purposes or in place of the Str value with Mindrazor. Plain, simple and unquestionable.

Otherwise you should allow anything to interfere. (spells,.banners, inspiring presence, special rules.
youngseward
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by youngseward »

That sounds like the best solution to me too.