Unicorn Lone Weaver

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

HouseofGinaz
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Bretonnia

Re: Unicorn Lone Weaver

Post by HouseofGinaz »

I want to make a killy Unicorn lone Weaver (without the spellsinger model) for fluff purposes in friendly games, my thinking is he will be the Herald of my treeman ancient, sort of like silver surfer that appears to herald the doom of defilers.

Anyone got any tips on the most combat deadly Unicorn?
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Skaven, Lizardmen

Post by chickenbane »

I like Fencer's Blades, 4++ ward and Other Trickster's Shard. Although the potion of foolhardiness isn't too bad either. I don't really see a Spellweaver as a combat unit, rather something that is difficult to destroy.

I have a couple of thoughts on taking Dark magic as opposed to Death, the vengeance counters. If you manage to cast Horror with a favourable angle - hits 2 or more units then each one of those gets a counter. Cast Shroud then they get another one, casting Soul Stealer could then give you a mass of hits with the +2d3 giving a much better chance of survival for the Darkweaver. As I like to use my Unicorn rider with the Fencer's Blades I do not think +1 St is that bad a thing, there are quite a few spells that require St test and with a now St5 model it is unlikely (though not impossible) to fail. Also giving a unicorn St 7 on the charge is nothing to be sneezed at! In short I think vengeance counters really do a lot for the lore.
My blog Contains the occasional Wood Elf!

My Battles
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

chickenbane wrote:
I like Fencer's Blades, 4++ ward and Other Trickster's Shard. Although the potion of foolhardiness isn't too bad either. I don't really see a Spellweaver as a combat unit, rather something that is difficult to destroy.

I have a couple of thoughts on taking Dark magic as opposed to Death, the vengeance counters. If you manage to cast Horror with a favourable angle - hits 2 or more units then each one of those gets a counter. Cast Shroud then they get another one, casting Soul Stealer could then give you a mass of hits with the +2d3 giving a much better chance of survival for the Darkweaver. As I like to use my Unicorn rider with the Fencer's Blades I do not think +1 St is that bad a thing, there are quite a few spells that require St test and with a now St5 model it is unlikely (though not impossible) to fail. Also giving a unicorn St 7 on the charge is nothing to be sneezed at! In short I think vengeance counters really do a lot for the lore.
Why OTS on a guy that should prefer to stay out of combat with combatcharacters. Why not more defense?
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

Aezeal wrote:
chickenbane wrote:

Why OTS on a guy that should prefer to stay out of combat with combatcharacters. Why not more defense?
Well its mainly for the occasional charge that he does make, what would you use?

My Battles
Hachiman Taro
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hachiman Taro »

chickenbane wrote:
The specific scenario described is a bit dicey, but the general point is a nice one - that vengeance counters make it easier to gain wounds for your Uniweaver.

Kind of makes dark a half stop between the other two seductive options (High and Death). The Dark weaver might be deadlier, but not as completely protected as the High weaver and less deadly, but harder to kill than the Death weaver. Makes sense. Thanks for the insight.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

chickenbane wrote:
Aezeal wrote:
chickenbane wrote:
Well its mainly for the occasional charge that he does make, what would you use?
No book here to figure it out but I'd probably go for something that gives protection against regular attacks. The chances of killing a kitted combat char even with OTS is still low (I'd guess, maybe your experience is that the uni eats characters for breakfast) so I'd not invest in offense but in defense. You are very mobile so should be able to avoid charges a lot. And my guess would be that IF you charge you'd attack chaff or a unit in the side (and thus avoid characters so no need to modify a wardsave.. since rank and file don't have it often).
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

Aezeal wrote:
No book here to figure it out but I'd probably go for something that gives protection against regular attacks. The chances of killing a kitted combat char even with OTS is still low (I'd guess, maybe your experience is that the uni eats characters for breakfast) so I'd not invest in offense but in defense. You are very mobile so should be able to avoid charges a lot. And my guess would be that IF you charge you'd attack chaff or a unit in the side (and thus avoid characters so no need to modify a wardsave.. since rank and file don't have it often).
Not much you can invest in really. Fencer's Blades puts your WS up to 10 and with the 4++ ward save from your talisman allowance, I can't think of anything else that might help. Against a fully kitted out combat character a Uniweaver will lose. Can't have armour - magical or mundane so I can't think where you're getting more defense from. The build I use is making use of a minor combat character. Useful for flanking and rear charging after a more combat oriented unit goes in.

Of course the most combat effective (imo) Uniweaver is Fencer's Blades, 4++ ward using Beast magic provided he get Savage Beast. Wyssan's and Pann's help. I prefer to use a high or Dark weaver on a unicorn with a Beast mage as level 2, hoping to get Savage Beast.

My Battles
NonnoSte
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: All kind of Elves.

Post by NonnoSte »

I'm still wondering: are you allowed to give her the paired weapons even if she's mounted?

The BRB states that models can't use two hand weapons while riding a mount (except some minor exceptions).
Does it apply only to mundane additional weapon?
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

I think it was faqed to say yes.

My Battles
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Post by Phazael »

Mounted models may have paired weapons, they simply do not benefit from the additional attack rule they confer, unless they have a special exemption like Savage Orc Boar Boys.

Anyhow, I have been running the unicorn combat gal for a while know, to great effect. Here is my observations on her:

1) Build-
High lore and Talisman of Preservation are essential. After that, my usual build is to give her a scroll (regular or frog). If you want any sort of combat punch out of her, the Sword of Antiheros (which fits with a Dispel Scroll) is the best option. Run her at a unit packed with characters and watch hilarity ensue. There really is not another weapon that she can make decent use out of without compromising here defenses.

2) Spell Selection-
Avoid high cost spells from the lore. If there is a pressing need for Arcane Unforging or Fiery, then take one, but NEVER both. You want to be spamming small spells to rack up counters. You cant do that six dicing one of those spells every turn. I often even take drain magic and cast it with two dice, pointlessly, just to get a counter.

3) Commitment-
This gal needs to prey on isolated chaff for most of the game. Late game, it is ok for her to bear hug Mr McKillenstein the Chaos General or engage in combo charges with other units, but if you do it too soon, you will lose the game.
Syphilis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Syphilis »

So I've been toying with small 500point games (I know booring right)? I was wondering which is better - a unicorn weaver is better or a spellweaver on a steed in a unit of sisters of thorn regardless of point size?
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

I think a Weaver in a sisters unit is always the safest bet. But in such small points a unicorn weaver might work very well.
The only problem is that the unicorn weaver is pretty much locked into the lore of high magic for the protection counters to avoid being too easy to kill.
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Syphilis
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Syphilis »

True. I sort of want a weaver that can do any lore I fancy....I think I just like the idea of the unicorn.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

So do I. I like the unicorn beastweaver a lot. Just for the imagery.
It's playable, but less safe than a Mage in a bunker
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
tomrobo23
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by tomrobo23 »

Phazael wrote:Mounted models may have paired weapons, they simply do not benefit from the additional attack rule they confer, unless they have a special exemption like Savage Orc Boar Boys.

Anyhow, I have been running the unicorn combat gal for a while know, to great effect. Here is my observations on her:

1) Build-
High lore and Talisman of Preservation are essential. After that, my usual build is to give her a scroll (regular or frog). If you want any sort of combat punch out of her, the Sword of Antiheros (which fits with a Dispel Scroll) is the best option. Run her at a unit packed with characters and watch hilarity ensue. There really is not another weapon that she can make decent use out of without compromising here defenses.

2) Spell Selection-
Avoid high cost spells from the lore. If there is a pressing need for Arcane Unforging or Fiery, then take one, but NEVER both. You want to be spamming small spells to rack up counters. You cant do that six dicing one of those spells every turn. I often even take drain magic and cast it with two dice, pointlessly, just to get a counter.

3) Commitment-
This gal needs to prey on isolated chaff for most of the game. Late game, it is ok for her to bear hug Mr McKillenstein the Chaos General or engage in combo charges with other units, but if you do it too soon, you will lose the game.

+1 to everything you said, i was going to comment but you put everything that i was going to say down already.

On a side i've ran it at a tournament and it's surprisingly solid. the rest of my list was utter crap but she was reliable throughout and without sisters she was very resilient. I'd honestly consider running her competitively. A line of thought which began as a joke. would need comped terrain rules against luck cannons though
Phazael
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Daemons, Wood Elves, Ogres, Night Goblins, Brettonians

Post by Phazael »

Yes and no. In events where hills do not block LOS or I know there is going to be a lack of cannons, I take Warhawks or I just make sure to keep my drop total nice and low.

And for reference, I have taken her to competitive events and done very well with her, as in cracking top five in nearly every event (Waaghpaca running end times rules being the one exception) with her. She is most definitely a competitive option.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

You actually spend powerdice just to get a few counters? I find powerdice supply so limited that I really need to use them to try and damage the opponent or my magic phase is wasted. I guess the defending the mage is worth it but it run contrary to my feelings. But if you do well with it that proves your point obviously.
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Q10fanatic »

Oh I absolutely do that. I'll cast Apotheosis on myself at the top of turn 1 if I have to. Tokens are THE key to utilizing the high weaver unicorn.

After about 4 tokens you have an unkillable lord level character that may be your general. It's free CR for late game combats.
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Unicorn Lone Weaver

Post by Q10fanatic »

Double post. My apologies.
Aezeal
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Aezeal »

Q10fanatic wrote:Oh I absolutely do that. I'll cast Apotheosis on myself at the top of turn 1 if I have to. Tokens are THE key to utilizing the high weaver unicorn.

After about 4 tokens you have an unkillable lord level character that may be your general. It's free CR for late game combats.
I understand you'd do it with left overdice at the end of the turn.. obviously.. but if you also try to cast other spells (which will get dispelled) then you'll not be stacking as much counters.
Q10fanatic
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Q10fanatic »

No, I cast intentionally useless cheap spells at the beginning of my magic phases. People assume I'm tying to draw dispel dice for something scary at the end of the phase when all that I want is the tokens.

This typically only works against new opponents.
chickenbane
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by chickenbane »

With High magic even an experienced opponent will have to second guess your motives for casting most spells.

My Battles