Getting into the army, what to buy next?

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

eriktheguy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Getting into the army, what to buy next?

Post by eriktheguy »

I bought some used figures (48 glade guard, 44 eternal guard, 15 glade riders, 12 wardancers, misc characters) for $200 off some dude getting out of it. I also have some high elf models that could easily 'count as' wood elves, (60ish archers, some of which are older glade guard), ellyrian reavers, some 3rd party models I'm using as whitelions that could be rangers, and eagles/gryphons/dragons.

I want to be able to build full WE armies and am wondering what I need next. I don't plan to make use of forest spirits if I can avoid it. All I've really decided on is a block of 5 sisters of the thorn. Do many of you use gladeguard models for waywatchers, to avoid buying the super expensive models? I assume I can easily use my current archers/guard for deepwood scouts, it's just a matter of painting em up a bit differently.
valmir
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Re: Getting into the army, what to buy next?

Post by valmir »

Glade Guard should be fine for either GG or Deepwood Scouts. Nobody I play with would mind if I proxied them as Waywatchers, as long as it was clear, but the real models are so totally awesome that you should probably get some anyway.

The other suggestion I'd make, just because I can't imagine leaving home without them, is Wild Riders.

But mostly, you seem to have it covered!
eriktheguy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eriktheguy »

Looking at the stats, wild riders don't seem very competitive to me. They seem controversial around here anyways, but I think I might grab a box just for the awesome factor. They were the models that originally had me looking at WE when I got into warhammer years ago. Not sure what possessed me to collect high elves first.
khyran
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by khyran »

eriktheguy wrote:Looking at the stats, wild riders don't seem very competitive to me. They seem controversial around here anyways, but I think I might grab a box just for the awesome factor.
Wild Riders are controversial around here? Unless I've been living under a rock the past 2 weeks, I daresay you might be mistaken. Here's a quick search I ran on WR on this forum and not a single one was really negative. Here a few examples:
Wild riders must get an extra mention here as the absolute stars of the show, a glass cannon yes, but an absolutely fantastic one
These guys are the new khorne Bezerkers of fantasy. Whats more, they strike before things like warriors. A small unit makes a massive difference.
Wild Riders - O.o - Thank you GW
I love Wild Riders, especially the new ones. I run 7 with a banner in every game and they have worked wonders for me thus-far.
Absolutely incredible damage output on the charge. Not entirely awful damage off the charge either, but devastating on it.
wild riders are hard hitting shock cavalry

I mean the list goes on and on... So yeah, my modest suggestion would be 3 boxes of Wild Riders
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Perhaps you're getting confused with all the abbreviations between WR (Wild Riders) and WWR (Wildwood Rangers)?

Opinion is split on Wildwood Rangers, but definitely not on Wild Riders - they really are incredible! I think, along with Waywatchers, the Wild Riders will become a staple unit in pretty much every Wood Elf list.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
eriktheguy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eriktheguy »

I must have read opinions about wildriders elsewhere and projected them onto this forum. 26ppm for such low tough/armor seems dangerous to me. I'll definitely try them out, they only need to suffer 1 turn of shooting to get into position and if there's one thing WE and HE have in common, it's relying on the move phase to win.
arolig
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by arolig »

Run bunches of wildriders

Give them shields and run a LVL.4 wizard with the lore of metal. Cast the boosted version of glittering robes on them. Now you have 2-3 units of wildriders riding around with a 2+ armoursave! :D

Under the right circumstances they are not a glasshammer but a diamondhammer! :D
If you run a lvl.1 beasts as well you can get wyssans on them and boost thoughness to 4 as well.