Out of Stock Armybook

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Maniac2
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Out of Stock Armybook

Post by Maniac2 »

I know I am not the fastest or most active Wood Elf Player (and a constant Asrai.org lurker). Last week I was just 1 day to late in the store and now it's out of stock at GW.
Has GW underestimated the number of slumbering woodies or is this usual ? Am I the only 1 on the forum being too slow ?

I hope they restock soon since my friends want to play against the new Wood Elves ( altough for what i've seen I don't really like my options).
All people reading this are some kind of maniac. So why bother picking another name :-)
Polycotton
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Out of Stock Armybook

Post by Polycotton »

When I first started reading all the leaks and rumours I was a little disappointed but my disappointment is mainly with how 8th edition works rather than the Wood Elf army book. I don't feel you are limited at all with the new army book, there are so many ways to build your army. You can go for big blocks of infantry, MSU, shooting or magic heavy armies and there are loads of options available within these broad groupings.

There is good overlap in the units for doing similar tasks which is always useful if things go awry. The thing I like most is I can see myself using every troop type in the book in some circumstance (Dryads have few circumstances to be sure).
I haven't used Wood Elves since sixth edition and before that fifth edition. Back then you had units that you just didn't take, as they were too useless/overcosted. Units such as Spearmen, Warhawk Riders, and Waywatchers (they were fun in 5th but poor value in 6th, I will always remember the day my mate charged his Chaos Knights with frenzied tooled up Khorne Lord into my Waywatchers in the woods, I rolled for traps and got Impaler, I then roled to see which model got hit and it was his Khorne Lord, I then wounded him and he failed his 4+ ward save and I then rolled D6 wounds and killed him. But I digress - like Arnold Rimmer reminiscing about games of Risk). I'm pretty chuffed that Warhawk Riders definitely have a use now, especially as my beloved Glade Riders have to ambush.

We also have super Wild Riders now. These guys are the hammer every Wood Elf general dreams of for finishing off units.
tcranter
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by tcranter »

*Temporarily stops lurking*

Looks like you replied to the wrong thread, mate. :wink:

edit: Nope, that was just a surprisingly long reply to the OP's final few words. Don't mind me!
The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Peacemaker »

GW is horrible with predicting what customers want.

They don't give an army any support in the form of new models, updates, or even novels for a decade and then they think that no one wants to play them. And competitive players drive sales so if the army sucks on the tabletop it doesn't get bought. Its the same issue with Brets.

One could argue that no one wants to play as hippie tree hugging elves. But when it comes to Knights on horseback - pretty much everyone thinks knights are cool.

heh, they also went and made almost all the metals into fine cast except the wood elf range. Just the treekin. Treeking didn't sell because they were twigs glued onto a base!!! Then they went and made them finecast which in many gamers minds drops their value because its not metal.
They didn't make eagles into finecast - any winged creature that is meant to be on a flying stick needs to be plastic.
And they sit in their office wondering why no one buys. In the mean time their competitors release plastic eagles and they get sold.
killerk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by killerk »

I cant seem to finde a copy also, which is a shame as it is the last of the elves to be added to the collection, and I have been waiting since 7ed to add them.
Straylight
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Tau, Tyranids, Orks, Space Marines; Wood Elves, Dwarves, Lizardmen; Gray Company/Arnor (LotR/WotR)

Post by Straylight »

The Peacemaker wrote: In the mean time their competitors release plastic eagles and they get sold.
Or they release their own plastic eagles that are a better deal than any of the other similar creatures in their line. I'm sure their accounting and inventory systems think there are lots of people out there playing Giant Eagles in their SBG armies (and Battlecry Trebs).

GW's inventory management has gone to crap in the last two years. They hugely underestimated the popularity of the Wood Elves, just as they hugely underestimated the popularity of the Tau a year ago. They have certain ideas about how popular an army should be and manufacture to that, rather than to how popular an army actually is. Even when their expectations do match reality, their supply chain is a shambles at the moment and their shipping department is even worse.

My local store just went five weeks without getting restocked on Abaddon Black, but was getting double orders of XV-88. They've been out of black primer for three weeks and counting. When Knights released, they flat-out forgot to ship fully half of the kits pre-ordered through the store; when those kits finally did arrive (three days late), they were literally just the sprues in shipping boxes--they'd never been packaged at all. At one point, the ordering system decided the store had -4 Obelisks in stock (it actually had two), and so sent six of them; four of those are still sitting in the back, apparently. The system has also decided that a store of that size gets four of each new plastic kit, card set, and accessory and two of each clampack when a product release happens--these usually sell out within two hours of being put on shelves; the store could easily to through four times that on the release week. The AM Order cards didn't even last that long; those were literally gone within three minutes of the store opening (as were the Tauroxes).

And all of that is just the stuff I know the specifics of; I know there's considerably more.
(Gravity Not Included)
killerk
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by killerk »

they don't need new eagles they just could repack the lotr ones.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

killerk wrote:they don't need new eagles they just could repack the lotr ones.

Unfortunately, they can't because the LotR figures are licensed products based on the LotR/Hobbit licences GW obtained from New Line/MGM during production of the respective film franchises. If GW sold LotR/Hobbit figues as "Warhammer" figures, they'd be breaking the Copyright/IP agreement, and would be sued.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Zimmonda
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Zimmonda »

Straylight wrote:
The Peacemaker wrote: In the mean time their competitors release plastic eagles and they get sold.
Or they release their own plastic eagles that are a better deal than any of the other similar creatures in their line. I'm sure their accounting and inventory systems think there are lots of people out there playing Giant Eagles in their SBG armies (and Battlecry Trebs).

GW's inventory management has gone to crap in the last two years. They hugely underestimated the popularity of the Wood Elves, just as they hugely underestimated the popularity of the Tau a year ago. They have certain ideas about how popular an army should be and manufacture to that, rather than to how popular an army actually is. Even when their expectations do match reality, their supply chain is a shambles at the moment and their shipping department is even worse.

My local store just went five weeks without getting restocked on Abaddon Black, but was getting double orders of XV-88. They've been out of black primer for three weeks and counting. When Knights released, they flat-out forgot to ship fully half of the kits pre-ordered through the store; when those kits finally did arrive (three days late), they were literally just the sprues in shipping boxes--they'd never been packaged at all. At one point, the ordering system decided the store had -4 Obelisks in stock (it actually had two), and so sent six of them; four of those are still sitting in the back, apparently. The system has also decided that a store of that size gets four of each new plastic kit, card set, and accessory and two of each clampack when a product release happens--these usually sell out within two hours of being put on shelves; the store could easily to through four times that on the release week. The AM Order cards didn't even last that long; those were literally gone within three minutes of the store opening (as were the Tauroxes).

And all of that is just the stuff I know the specifics of; I know there's considerably more.
All of those things are actually easily solved in minutes, im assuming you're referring to a gw store, if there are stock errors all it takes is a phone call or an email. Believe it or not those problems are on the stores side and can be fixed by the manager.
The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Peacemaker »

The GW store near me is always fine with their inventory. Of course my city has 2 GW store and a ton of hobby stores that sell GW. So if the GW's aren't stocked the customer takes a 15min drive to a different store and buys it there.

Another thing I figured I'd mention which is easy to see is the Limited edition books. Dwarfs, wood elfs sold out before release. While I remember Tyranids sitting up their website 2 weeks after release with the big headline ONLY 487 LEFT!!!! 1 week later ONLY 449 LEFT!!!

People say 40k make up the bulk of sales for GW but in reality its just Space Marines that make up the bulk of sales.
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

The Peacemaker wrote:People say 40k make up the bulk of sales for GW but in reality its just Space Marines that make up the bulk of sales.
Sadly people keep thinking they need to play space marines to win or have fun in 40k ;-)
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

Straylight wrote:GW's inventory management has gone to crap in the last two years. They hugely underestimated the popularity of the Wood Elves, just as they hugely underestimated the popularity of the Tau a year ago. They have certain ideas about how popular an army should be and manufacture to that, rather than to how popular an army actually is. Even when their expectations do match reality, their supply chain is a shambles at the moment and their shipping department is even worse.
It seems that this Amazon seller is overvaluing the Glade Guard a bit: http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=new
:lol:

I guess the new book and the poor supply line from GW is to blame...or the break from reality of this seller. :D

EDIT: the listing was removed, but the seller had a GG box going for 10 grand. :lol: I wonder how long it was listed as such before they caught it?
Last edited by Odinsleepwalker on 20 May 2014, 23:30, edited 1 time in total.
RedPanda
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Eldar, Kroot

Post by RedPanda »

I think they made a pretty good assessment with the Wood Elf army book.
Print a limited amount of normal books say about under the limited book, those who cannot get the normal edition can still buy the limited.
Which almost guarantee the sale of the limited edition book, but they failed in that they didn't ship limited edition books to the stores and made it online order only = FAIL. It is their stocking policies that made it fail.

Personally they should have made it that the normal edition comes out 3 months after the limited edition book forcing everyone who cannot wait to buy the limited edition if still in stock.

At this moment I will not print any normal editions until the limited edition sells out.
"The world is not beautiful, therefore it is" -Kino