Modryn, The Night Glens

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Evil Hypnotist
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Warriors and Daemons of Chaos, Skaven

Modryn, The Night Glens

Post by Evil Hypnotist »

Hi all,

I am new to the Asrai, having been waiting for the new book before starting a force with them. Looking through the fluff I have some good ideas for a themed army based from The Night Glens. I am looking for some advice on what units would make sense from a fluff points of view. The only definite I can glean from the book is a Darkweaver and some tree spirits, aesthetically I think Wildwood Rangers and Waywatchers would look good too with their hoods, and even a Shadowdancer and his troupe, and/or some Deepwood Scouts possibly.

Any thoughts?
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Re: Modryn, The Night Glens

Post by Niedfaru »

This is very similar to a themed list I was thinking of building. The trouble I'm coming up against is that almost all the units that thematically fit are Special. You can fill out the Core with Dryads I suppose, but that leaves the centre of the army rather subpar. It'll take some getting used to how to play it.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Fluffwise, all Wood Elf halls have Glade Guard as their "standing army" - every adult elf is capable of wielding a bow, and will fight as a Glade Guard in times of war (unless they already have a "specialty"). They're basically the mainstay of every Wood Elf army, so that's your Core allowance...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

Put hoods on your Glade Guard, they are the WE equivalent of the 'donks given spears and a hat and sent to the field' units that other races have - but since we're an elven army, we simpy lack unskilled donks. Even our spearmen are hard as nails and won't run regardless of casualties, and have super spears.

I'd say WWR, some WR, some WW, DWS, Dryads and even some sisters would be reasonable. SotT are pretty wicked in the fluff, so they would work for a darker, more sinister army.

Your color palette choices and modification of your models will go a long way towards fleshing out the theme, as well.
Evil Hypnotist
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Warriors and Daemons of Chaos, Skaven

Post by Evil Hypnotist »

Cheers guys, yes the colour scheme is what made me choose the theme originally. I am planning on lots of dark blues and greys but using brightly colourful sprites with source lighting.

Hooded Glade Guard will be the mainstay, with some dryads. Wildwood Rangers and some Sisters of the Thorn filling out the Specials with Waywatchers and a Treeman (just to have the model) as Rare. I do like the idea of a Shadowdancer and a few wardancers perhaps passing through too and a handful of scouts. Looking forward to this!
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Evil Hypnotist wrote:Cheers guys, yes the colour scheme is what made me choose the theme originally. I am planning on lots of dark blues and greys but using brightly colourful sprites with source lighting.

Hooded Glade Guard will be the mainstay, with some dryads. Wildwood Rangers and some Sisters of the Thorn filling out the Specials with Waywatchers and a Treeman (just to have the model) as Rare. I do like the idea of a Shadowdancer and a few wardancers perhaps passing through too and a handful of scouts. Looking forward to this!
As a side note, Eternal guard also look pretty good if you knock off the high elf helmets and use the hooded WWR heads, of course that does mean they end up looking quite a lot like WWRs, but that's less of a problem if you are making them up with shields.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Navratil
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Navratil »

You can put hoods on nearly everyone I for one have put hoods on my eternal guard instead of the heads w/helmets and must say they look awesome!
Atrophus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Atrophus »

I think I'm going to go for a modryn force aswell, I like the fluff behind them. And I'm going to put as many hoods on the models as possible and a very dark muted colour scheme, the spites with light sourcing coming from them is a very good idea :)
You could even try mixing in DE parts if they fit together, as it says in their fluff they practice magics and customs forbidden in other realms.
But unit wise I think most things fit tbh, warhawks and great eagles are about the only models that don't really fit IMHO, being day time hunters, though that just means good opportunity for owl conversions :)