New WE overpowered in Storm of Magic

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

New WE overpowered in Storm of Magic

Post by The Peacemaker »

I am going to be playing a game of storm of magic with my gaming buddy soon and I just realized something.

Trueflight arrows will inflict so many wounds on a mage inside an arcane fulcrum. Without that -2 modifier for hard cover the woodelves will win so easily just by killing all the enemies mages!!!

Should we implement some kind of house rule just for game balance?
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Re: New WE overpowered in Storm of Magic

Post by godswearhats »

Warhammer is not a balanced game :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Peacemaker »

godswearhats wrote:Warhammer is not a balanced game :-)

Duh, but it has to be semi balanced otherwise there is no strategy. And strategy is where all the fun is.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I think that hitting wizards on 3s doesn't unbalance the game. It just changes your opponents tactics: kill the glade guard first!
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

The Peacemaker wrote:
godswearhats wrote:Warhammer is not a balanced game :-)

Duh, but it has to be semi balanced otherwise there is no strategy. And strategy is where all the fun is.
Semi-balanced leaves it fairly open.

After seeing tau-dar in 40k reign supreme I would say don't expect balance to be maintained for any great length of time.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
seanr
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by seanr »

Don't wizards on fulcrums also get 3+ ward saves? I don't see how ignoring shooting penalties is any more of a threat to mages than cannon balls.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

seanr wrote:Don't wizards on fulcrums also get 3+ ward saves? I don't see how ignoring shooting penalties is any more of a threat to mages than cannon balls.
Because passing one 3+ save to shrug off a cannonball is more likely than passing 6-7 3+ saves from a unit of 20 GG firing at you.

Of course T4 wizards will be harder to get and T5+ wizards will still be largely immune due to requiring 6s to wound.

Hero level fulcrum sitter definitely better watch out tho.

Having said that, I'm not sure whether it would be easier to true shot a wizard off a fulcrum or to use the acorn/moonstone combo to teleport a unit of WWR/WR next to the aforementioned fulcrum and remove the wizard's head manually.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

You know you could just put Durthu and some treeman on the fulcrums. Have waywatchers shoot down all cannons early and win.....
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

considering the grossly strong magic you can shoot about, your opponent would be dumb to not shell your accurate GG off the field with concentrated wizarding in the first couple of turns. Sure, it leaves them vulnerable to other stuff, but that's what fielding multiple threats is about.
LadyLoec
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Vampire Counts, Empire, Warriors of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, Dwarves

Post by LadyLoec »

Also, we can spam the entire board with forests for giggles should we wish, and with access to both high and dark, we would be in ascension at all times
krael
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by krael »

TK have trueflight arrows build in on 6pt skellies with bs 2.
If i'm not horribly mistaken, that still didn't make them OP in storm of magic
eriktheguy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eriktheguy »

The enemy player can still place a unit of troops within 3'' of the fulcrum to grant the wizard a 4+ look out sir.

There are many other ways to kill wizards on fulcrums in SoM. That's why I usually take several redundant spellcasters. They die like flies.
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

eriktheguy wrote:The enemy player can still place a unit of troops within 3'' of the fulcrum to grant the wizard a 4+ look out sir.

There are many other ways to kill wizards on fulcrums in SoM. That's why I usually take several redundant spellcasters. They die like flies.
Since when have you been able to take Look out sir rolls against BS shooting?

Besides we don't have anything remotely as OP as the helf loremaster or wandering Slann for SoM, "OP" is all relative
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Findecano wrote:
eriktheguy wrote:The enemy player can still place a unit of troops within 3'' of the fulcrum to grant the wizard a 4+ look out sir.

Since when have you been able to take Look out sir rolls against BS shooting?

Since, um, always? If a character's outside a unit but within 3" he gets a LoS against *all* shooting attacks, not just templates...

I don't know whether it works with fulcrums in SoM, but it's in the BRB...
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
eriktheguy
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by eriktheguy »

Findecano wrote:Because passing one 3+ save to shrug off a cannonball is more likely than passing 6-7 3+ saves from a unit of 20 GG firing at you.

Of course T4 wizards will be harder to get and T5+ wizards will still be largely immune due to requiring 6s to wound.
In storm of magic, cannons do D6 hits for 1w each on wizards in a fulcrum, rather than 1w for d6 multi wound. So they're fairly similar to glade guard in terms of ward saves. The reason is that templates on buildings do d6 hits (this is a base game rule, but pointed out in the storm of magic book) and that fulcrums ignore mutli-wounds.

Findecano wrote:Besides we don't have anything remotely as OP as the helf loremaster or wandering Slann for SoM, "OP" is all relative
Yeah, loremaster is amazing in Storm of Magic, getting 32 spells normally or 80 if near a wizards tower. He can also take magical armor. Dragon mages are also tons of fun, taking armour and distributing wounds with their mount.
The Peacemaker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by The Peacemaker »

krael wrote:TK have trueflight arrows build in on 6pt skellies with bs 2.
If i'm not horribly mistaken, that still didn't make them OP in storm of magic
There are also poison arrows, range is a factor, and who plays tombkings? :)

In wood elf army you got glade guard, glade riders, glade scouts who can take special arrows.

Now that I think about it. You add in all the scouts that can get within 12" of a tower, shoot, and eventually charge in with the ASF against feeble castor.

And yes there is also the fact that you can take the tremen ancients and put them on a tower. Heh heh.
The only cannons to really fear are the ogres and dwarf ones. All the other armies cannons missfire, blow up, and give you points.
Sidewinder
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Sidewinder »

The Peacemaker wrote:Should we implement some kind of house rule just for game balance?
No. Simply refrain from shooting at mages on fulcrums. There is no rule in Storm of Magic that requires you to shoot at mages is there?
Favorite hobby - playing GW games
2nd favorite hobby - complaining about GW