Forest Spirit rule changes.

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Forest Spirit rule changes.

Post by Coyote81 »

With the simplification of the Forest Spirit rule, they lost one key thing we can take advantage of. No longer is the forest spirit rule require to join the unit. This opens a lot of opportunities to cover the weaknesses that dryads currently have. A Bsb would add some much need combat rez. Maybe a fight Lord/Captain. Being able to put elves back into the unit can really help. Especially since if you mount them, they actually fit into the unit rank and file.

What do you guys think? Have any other ideas of what combos this change bring about?
thesustainablecenter
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Bretonnia, WoC, Ogres, Empire, VC, DoC, WE, HE, DE

Re: Forest Spirit rule changes.

Post by thesustainablecenter »

Think dryads suck now personally. S3 hatred 2 attacks who cares? S3 is okay for core units that are dirt crap and bring tons of cheap ranks. There save is all but non-existent. Eternal guard do it better and with asf against most things they will re-roll all the time. Eg are also stubborn and will hold to the last.
YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/TheSustainableCenter
"Success is not final; failure is not fatal; its the courage to continue that counts."-Winston Churchill
Hewhorocks
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Hewhorocks »

Sure putting a mounted elf hero will help the dryads and being mounted they will fit, however they will not get a look out sir being cav in a non cav unit. True your tree men might draw all the fire for the first couple turns so there's that. 2 str 3 hatred attacks on a t4 6++ frame at 8 points wouldn't be auto include. At 11 it's only for theme, aesthetics, or place holder until you get other models.
Firelupus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Firelupus »

My unit of 14 dyrads will be used as the bodyguard for my Branchwraith for less than 160 points of core they are a drop and depending on the life spell, can be a potent mini anvil.
I am not about to invest in a unit of 24(even though i already have the models) , but i think a unit of 14 plus branchwraith will have its place in my line up(at least my theory suggests it). Eternal guard are good, but with only a 6+ save and T3, they will die quicker from shooting and magic. The rest of my core will be 2 units of Glade riders and 2 units of Glade guard.

I know eternal guard can get a shield and can like wise be buffed with life magic, but i still feel the dyrads are slightly better from a survival standpoint, and that is what i want them to do, survive for late game shaninigans
Perception, Is what tells me my hobby should fit into one room.
To finish painting an army, only have the figures for that one army.
This has been the product of Lupus's delusional mind and in no way represents the views or opinions of the rest of his body.
With new book 8/0/13
http://necrarch.blogspot.com.au My warhammer blog.
Malkrit
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Malkrit »

People judge the new dryads too quickly, in my opinion.

Unlike eternal guard, who will pretty much hold untill they're wiped put, dryads can be used as a speed bump and screening unit whilst still being better than other chaff units. With the rare points being so contested now it pays off to get a unit of dryads instead of an eagle.

I think dryads are a unit that will be utilised more than people currently realise.
Coyote81
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Coyote81 »

Hewhorocks wrote:Sure putting a mounted elf hero will help the dryads and being mounted they will fit, however they will not get a look out sir being cav in a non cav unit. True your tree men might draw all the fire for the first couple turns so there's that. 2 str 3 hatred attacks on a t4 6++ frame at 8 points wouldn't be auto include. At 11 it's only for theme, aesthetics, or place holder until you get other models.
I thought I remembered a rule about LOS like that, but I can't find it, can you quote me a page?

Nvm, found it. I kind of hope those rules change in 9th.
JAMOB
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Other than Wood Elves, lots of Blood Angels and a bit of IG, Eldar and Orcs.

Post by JAMOB »

Malkrit wrote:People judge the new dryads too quickly, in my opinion.

Unlike eternal guard, who will pretty much hold untill they're wiped put, dryads can be used as a speed bump and screening unit whilst still being better than other chaff units. With the rare points being so contested now it pays off to get a unit of dryads instead of an eagle.

I think dryads are a unit that will be utilised more than people currently realise.
While I agree that dryads are probably better than people are saying (I still need to playtest them and that won't happen for a few weeks), I also think that GR are much better speed bumps than eagles, being fast. Sure they won't survive as long, but that lets us shoot at whoever they were fighting. And they hit harder at s4.
Firelupus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Firelupus »

GR will be great once they come onto the board from Ambush turn 2+, but my list will still include 2 eagles for the cheap drops and redirection.
And i will be honest i love the figs so they are an auto include.
Perception, Is what tells me my hobby should fit into one room.
To finish painting an army, only have the figures for that one army.
This has been the product of Lupus's delusional mind and in no way represents the views or opinions of the rest of his body.
With new book 8/0/13
http://necrarch.blogspot.com.au My warhammer blog.
Furyou Miko
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Furyou Miko »

More importantly than Dryads, this now affects Wild Riders.

Of course, the worst change is that Forest Spirits used as mounts don't grant a ward save, so a caster on a Unicorn is still made of paper.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Furyou Miko wrote:Of course, the worst change is that Forest Spirits used as mounts don't grant a ward save, so a caster on a Unicorn is still made of paper.
Yeah this made me sad too. Got so excited when I thought Dragons got a 6++! Not sure why they had to make this exception, it's stupid and makes no sense.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

Drstrangelove wrote:
Furyou Miko wrote:Of course, the worst change is that Forest Spirits used as mounts don't grant a ward save, so a caster on a Unicorn is still made of paper.
Yeah this made me sad too. Got so excited when I thought Dragons got a 6++! Not sure why they had to make this exception, it's stupid and makes no sense.
What is the wording in the book that says this?
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

Welshy wrote:What is the wording in the book that says this?

"A model with this special rule has the Forest Strider special rule and its attacks (close combat and shooting) are magical. In addition, if the model is not a mount, it has a 6+ ward save and the Immune to Psychology special rule".
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog