Making my own Wildwood rangers

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Making my own Wildwood rangers

Post by Ramesesis »

So, since I have 20 unbuilt White Lions I felt they were perfect candidates to convert into my own style of Wildwood Rangers, called Winter rangers. More bare heads, some hooded heads I can dig up, paint leather on many of the armour pieces and I think I can get a good looking unit. And save some bucks.

Will buy a kit for bits later.

What do you people think of such a conversion?
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Re: Making my own Wildwood rangers

Post by frogboy »

Sounds like a good use for unused models, being Wood Elves we should be more environmentally conscious :D

Change the heads and I think your on to a winner.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
GladeLars
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by GladeLars »

Fine idea, I was thinking about buying the cheaper glade guard and asking if any players in my area had any axes or other greatweapon bits lying around and convert more heavily from that, but if you have those models and parts that is a cool and seems very doable plan. I know this is pretty obvious, but if they are the new plastics, I would cut of the lions tail too and go for a more brown bear paint job on the pelts. If you want to get as close to the actual gw models as possible, greenstuffing both hoods and scarves onto any unhooded heads should not be too difficult (even giving the hoods a furry look if you want).
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Yes I agree, I think make the armour look like its leather with a nice brown paint job, high elves always have that shiny freshly opened tin can look about them so dulling the colours down will instantly make them look like they belong somewhere else.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Firelupus
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Firelupus »

Sounds like a great idea. I like the idea of using Glade guard and bits and one box of them to make the unit. You are all such talented people here. looking forward to seeing what the look like.
Perception, Is what tells me my hobby should fit into one room.
To finish painting an army, only have the figures for that one army.
This has been the product of Lupus's delusional mind and in no way represents the views or opinions of the rest of his body.
With new book 8/0/13
http://necrarch.blogspot.com.au My warhammer blog.
Artorias
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: WE and 40k Orks

Post by Artorias »

I did this for an eternal guard unit a couple years ago using GG and HE spearmen bits. Not a fan of working with the metal models personally, and the plastic is so easy to convert with. Definitely a fun conversion to do and they look nice. The HE bits will probably fit bit more style wise now as well, seeing how the new units are looking.

Can't wait to see what you come up with

-Art