Araloth, reroll to wound rolls of 1 in a wood

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Narahan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Araloth, reroll to wound rolls of 1 in a wood

Post by Narahan »

Hi

I wanted to put this in the pool of enlightenment but i'm not sure whether it qualifies.

Is anyone talking about the last sentence of Dan from WD review of Araloth. It specifically states he can reroll his wound rolls of one when in a forest....

What on earth is this rule and how exciting is it. It encourages us to venture back into forests. I was hoping to see more forest based buffs as at the moment the wildwood roll of a 6 seems to keep me out of them. (I roll a six almost every game and i've been playing twice a week for 3 years... its boring now).

Any thoughts or discussions already going about this?
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Re: Araloth, reroll to wound rolls of 1 in a wood

Post by overtninja »

It's only really exciting if entering a forest doesn't have a 1/2 chance of doing something awful to our units, like hitting them with tons of str4 hits, or making them stupid, or whatever. I'm cool with terrain doing stuff, but so many of the mysterious forest possibilities are punitive to our elf blocks that it's almost dumb to go into them.

I suppose our free wood is generally considered mundane, but still.
The Wood Whisperer
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elf

Post by The Wood Whisperer »

I hope WE get immunity to (negative) forest effects with the new book. I'm always rolling 6's or 4's for forests...

By the way, if the re-roll in woods becomes an army wide rule - fingers crossed - I surely hope we can summon extra woods as well. Because right now, my opponents allow me to place +/- 3 forests on the table (out of pity), but I doubt if that will still be the case with this new rule ;)
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I'm assuming we get Murderous Prowess in the wood and martial prowess not in the wood.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Narahan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Narahan »

Summoning forests would be a very interesting addition as it allows us to tactically control our enemies movements and negates the boon of ranked up units which have plagued us in 8th edition. I find it works well in SoM and never seems too overpowered, GW tested the water with it as well. I have become somewhat used to the gamble of rolling for forests and don't necessarily believe that we need to be immune to the wildwood effects, if we have an adequate boost whilst within them.

I wonder what the rule to reroll wounds will be called and who will have it, and ultimately how it is conferred i.e. whether lords and heroes only get it, or they confer it to their unit etc.

There seem to be alot of Army wide rules being thrown around.

Hawkeye
Forest Strider
Asrai Archery
Asrai Bows
Always Strikes First

Normally armies only have two or three. Our Elven cousins have two/three each (ignoring blessings)

It seems we may come replete with alot of rules, which leads me to believe this will be a lord/hero thing.

Thoughts?
Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnia, Vampire Counts

Post by Ioreth Starmantle »

godswearhats wrote:I'm assuming we get Murderous Prowess in the wood and martial prowess not in the wood.
That...

Y'know... That almost makes too much sense!

I think most people have been expecting some sort of Marksman's Prowess, but dang, I think I could learn to love that.
'Learn well Nature's sole law, for it is thus: Hunt or be hunted, kill or be killed. Know too that the only reason anything ever dies is because it no longer deserves to live! Should have fought harder, should have grown stronger.'
- Ioreth Starmantle, Waywatcher Highborn