Why we play wood elves?

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Rab
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Why we play wood elves?

Post by Rab »

Orcs and their goblin kin are our enemies, for they are the defilers of glades and the murderers of our folk. Beastmen, the children of chaos and the Long Night are our enemies. They fight us for the right to exist in the woodlands and forests. Skaven of the Underworld are our enemies, for they gnaw the roots of our world and bring death and pestilence to our forests. Dwarfs are our enemies, for they cut down trees to fill their furnaces and to fuel their infernal machines, and many times have waged war against us. Keghmon, the hairy humans are our enemies, for they are war like and greedy and would drive us from our homes if they could. Many, many of them have turned to worship the dark powers. Halflings are our enemies for they clear trees for their fields and would eat the world if they could. The elves of Naggaroth and far off Ulthuan are our enemies, for they have turned their backs on Isha and Kurnous, and have betrayed their elf heritage.

These are your enemies, child, Know them well and keep your bow and arrow ready.
..I may be getting more excited about this release than is acceptable in a grown man.
my wood elf army pblog
pip
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WOOD ELVES

Re: Why we play wood elves?

Post by pip »

anything short of running around the neighbourhood, in your birthday suit, yelling "new wood elves are coming" seems within reason to me
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

BUT - if you do run around the neigborhood screaming in your birthday suit be sure to paint up with woad first.

"The Wood Elves are coming! The Wood Elves are coming!

(I can hear all the Brits now, "Bloody colonials".) ((or maybe it's "stupid gits"))

Oh yeah, I'm infected with New Book Madness. :drool:
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Bill ... are you getting a little UNsurly?
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Dragon halitosis »

You mean "sky clad". The Brits are into that sort of thing, apparently.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

yeah all the excitement has hit me too. Stupid GW. Making me all excited about stuff thats a week away and I cant affford. Damn their black souls to oblivion!
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Arrrgh damb them thrice and let their souls sink to the bottom of the deep to feed the kraken arrrgh !

Now where's me blue paint, time to done the birthday suit and hit the streets...

"Here ye peasents ! The wild hunt be coming !"
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

I'm hoping this rings true once again:

Agile as a Wildcat.
Deadly as a Serpent.
Strong as a Bear.
Graceful as an Eagle.
Fear o' Foe!
For the Wardancers are upon you!

It's been a long... long time since anyone's truly feared my wardancers. They used to be attacked with such extreme prejudice.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Beragon wrote:I'm hoping this rings true once again:

Agile as a Wildcat.
Deadly as a Serpent.
Strong as a Bear.
Graceful as an Eagle.
Fear o' Foe!
For the Wardancers are upon you!

It's been a long... long time since anyone's truly feared my wardancers. They used to be attacked with such extreme prejudice.
Sounds like someone's been watching Brave Star...

http://youtu.be/rE3F5dot4pk

:wink:
teh_stwnerer
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Chaos Space Marines, Space Wolves

Post by teh_stwnerer »

Agile as a Wildcat.
Deadly as a Serpent.
Strong as a Bear.
Graceful as an Eagle.
Or as my generation would say:

Swift as a coursing river
The force of a great typhoon
The strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
NiteOwl
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by NiteOwl »

teh_stwnerer wrote:
Or as my generation would say:

Swift as a coursing river
The force of a great typhoon
The strength of a raging fire
Mysterious as the dark side of the moon.
I second that.
Anathir
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Anathir »

Its because the Wood Elves are the only race that fight for
Rab wrote:
Orcs and their goblin kin are our enemies, for they are the defilers of glades and the murderers of our folk. Beastmen, the children of chaos and the Long Night are our enemies. They fight us for the right to exist in the woodlands and forests. Skaven of the Underworld are our enemies, for they gnaw the roots of our world and bring death and pestilence to our forests. Dwarfs are our enemies, for they cut down trees to fill their furnaces and to fuel their infernal machines, and many times have waged war against us. Keghmon, the hairy humans are our enemies, for they are war like and greedy and would drive us from our homes if they could. Many, many of them have turned to worship the dark powers. Halflings are our enemies for they clear trees for their fields and would eat the world if they could. The elves of Naggaroth and far off Ulthuan are our enemies, for they have turned their backs on Isha and Kurnous, and have betrayed their elf heritage.

These are your enemies, child, Know them well and keep your bow and arrow ready.
Not much else to be said, apart from that a race has to fight for the world and not just or wealth/power. The HE/Lizardmen do it to an extent but as the quote says the HE deviated from their roots towards politics/wealth/trade and the lizardmen are sheep trying to guess the will of the old one instead of thinking and doing for themselves.
LA
Salaius
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elf, Tau, Blood Angels, Chaos Black Legion, Catachan Jungle Fighters

Post by Salaius »

I only recently (approx 4/5 months) got into Warhammer after playing Warhammer 40k for 20+ years, but I'd had an interest in Wood Elves every since this White Dwarf.

Plus I'm pretty sure the years of DND/WFRP games where I've played Sylvan Elves had something to do with it.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I've got that rulebook - it has the old rules for Durthu in it :-)
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Oh the pain, I miss all my old models and White Dwarfs :cry:
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

I have it as well. That's my favorite WE book.
Billthesurly
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Orcs and Amazons
Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana, Ministry of Profound Bloviation.

Post by Billthesurly »

Wow. That was the apex of the big hair, Road Warrior/mohawk period that began in the '80s for GW. I have it tucked into a dusty box somewhere.
So it's no longer the BRB, now it's the DERB. (Digital Edition Rule Book) I am all in for 9th Age.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

Those pants always remind me of cucumber for some reason.
I have about 20 of those old wardancers, like the new sculpts much better sadly :(
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Blackcat
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Empire, Imperial Guard, Eldar

Post by Blackcat »

The models, the isolationist mentality of the wood elves, the fact that they are elves, archery, the love for nature, the list goes on.

Seriously though I don't get why everyone doesn't feel the same way as me.
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Blackcat wrote:The models, the isolationist mentality of the wood elves, the fact that they are elves, archery, the love for nature, the list goes on.

Seriously though I don't get why everyone doesn't feel the same way as me.
This basically. Though I seem to be the only Wood Elf enthusiast in the universe who ISN'T excited about the new release. It's taken away some things for the Wood Elves that were very important to me (the Lore of Athel Loren being chief among them). It is good to see the Wardancer Noble model return however.
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

I got into the hobby at the start of 8th, and while I was initially drawn to Dwarves, my housemate (who was starting at the same time) had already called dibs. So, I basically chose wood elves based entirely on aesthetics, and what I considered an interesting tactical standpoint - that of a hit-and-run army. Of course, we all know that 8th ed wasn't kind to WE at all, but the model range is overall gorgeous (though I've got beef with Wardancers because none of the ladies look like ladies really, and their poses are kind of static) and the conversion possibilities were enormous across the range.

I will say that because WE are such a delicate army (in terms of both fragility and potential for total failure based on single mistakes), I've learned to play the game fairly meticulously, considering all my options quickly and learning not to make blunders in movement, choosing targets, magic use and army set up, as well as the importance of keeping an eye on charge angles, charge lanes, potential overrun paths, how to focus fire properly, how to set up multi-charges, how to properly sacrifice units for maximum gain, and other finer points of tactical combat. The army simply demands it of the player in order to do well. I don't think I would have a handle of these things if I had decided to play an army made of large blocks whose strategy is 'get in dere and muck 'em up!'

Also, the WE range is composed of things other than snarling ugly men, and actually has ladies other than characters in it! Also, the lore was pretty cool to me, as I've always liked folklore.