Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

fable_dd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Kislev, Orcs and Goblins, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Deamones

Wood Elves rumours

Post by fable_dd »

Hi guys,

I just read that wood elves are going to be rereleased as second or third fantasy army from now on. First it will be ogre kingdoms (Oktober) and next in line are or Bretonnia or Wood Elves.

Is there anyone who can confirm this?
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by Caitsidhe »

fable_dd wrote:Hi guys,

I just read that wood elves are going to be rereleased as second or third fantasy army from now on. First it will be ogre kingdoms (Oktober) and next in line are or Bretonnia or Wood Elves.

Is there anyone who can confirm this?
With GW you can't confirm anything. I have heard reliable info to back up the fact that Ogres are next. I have heard nothing reliable to make me consider Bretonnians are next or WE after that.
fable_dd
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Kislev, Orcs and Goblins, Chaos Daemons, Chaos Space Marines and Chaos Deamones

Post by fable_dd »

I know for a fact theat Ogre Kingdom is next.

My best friend has the august issue white dwarf. In the back it is stated that Ogre Kingdoms will be next (in september)

So OK players good luck saving money!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

I read a rumour about march 2012 but who knows how accurate that is.

It was dropped by Harry (at Warseer) last autumn something akin to "GW is looking at them" but that was likely just the start stages and projects are 18 months so spring 2012 would be the earliest.

However recently Black Library posted that in Sept 2012 there will be a Wood Elf novel and the last time they released a wood elf novel (Guardians of the Glade) it came out the same time as the GW WE release so,.. I would guess between next spring and fall will be new Wood Elves.

Just speculation though.
Last edited by popisdead on 30 Jul 2011, 00:05, edited 1 time in total.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
sasheep
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by sasheep »

Spring could be fairly appropriate for our new book. But I don't anyone really knows the schedule past Ogres in September. On Warseer, Brets, WE and Dwarfs have all been mentioned as the following books.
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

Yuck. So we are over a year away if the novel tie in is correct. GW is idiotic.
Noght
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Empire, Wood Elves, Orcs & Goblins

Post by Noght »

It'd be fine if they just would Errata the points (Riders/Warhawks/Treeman)/special abilities (Forest Spirit Ward save) to make it just slightly more balanced, I'd be fine with the wait under those circumstances.

Noght
"Spirit of the Game arguments are used by Role Players who get their A$$es kicked by Wargammers."
Caitsidhe
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Caitsidhe »

Noght wrote:It'd be fine if they just would Errata the points (Riders/Warhawks/Treeman)/special abilities (Forest Spirit Ward save) to make it just slightly more balanced, I'd be fine with the wait under those circumstances.

Noght
Word. I don't care if they never give us a new book as long as they errata/faq and reprice our models. They are fricking idiots.
Ethiluin
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Ethiluin »

+1
I love the present book, most of the models and the fluff. I would be gutted if any significant changes / strange 'action man toy' additions ruined the feel. Would be sadder still if they made us overpowered! Some simple minor points reductions would do me; so I could take a unit or two more in 2k games, and ofcourse actually consider running w'hawks/g'riders .
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

As Caitsidhe said, beyond Ogres there is nothing confirmed. We know Ogres are next, because they're showcasing at Games Day UK in September. After that, it is still likely to be Bretonnians and Wood Elves (probably in that order) but it's impossible to confirm either way. We just have to wait and see.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Admiral_Wow
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Beastmen, Space Marines, Grey Knights, Eldar

Post by Admiral_Wow »

the way i have heard it ... and source has been pretty accurate

Ogres (which is now confirmed with the August white dwarf)

Brets

Dwarfs

then possibly wood elves.

said to wait about another mid-year.

he didn't give much reason as to why dwarfs jumped us .... but that is what he told me .... i joke that we would be getting a new book on DEC 21st 2012 then the world would end ...
Lighteater
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: My beloved treehuggers

Post by Lighteater »

Admiral_Wow wrote: i joke that we would be getting a new book on DEC 21st 2012 then the world would end ...
At least the world will end then with all the real important things accomplished :D
Logics and tabletops are incompatible.
Astheal Treewoven
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Astheal Treewoven »

I totally agree with Caithsidhe and Nought. Feel our fluff/back story us great, most units are okay and models are well sculptured, just need to address the pricing issues (glade riders especially) and give us a beastie to hit hard ( I'm in the forest drake camp) which all could be done via white dwarf ala sisters of battle or vc terroghiest.

Just worry we're another 7+ months from an update whilst other armies which don't need it as much get one i.e dwarves.

Some of the Storm of Magic stuff for us is mint i.e madgrical of greening and deadwood staff is devastating and really ties in with our fluff. If they power it down slightly and add it to our normal items and lore of loren I'd be over the moon
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

New Plastic Treeman on the horizon:

http://www.warseer.com/forums/showpost. ... tcount=317

Probably to keep Storm of Magic fresh in a few months.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
soilworker
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: partial (ogres, orcs, dwarfs) woodies are primary

Post by soilworker »

rumors have now lost most validity. all your GW store staff no longer know anything until white dwarf. gotta be pretty high up to get anything reliable. personally I think it would be funner to wait for the surprise than try and guess ;)
It will as though a man fled from a lion only to meet a bear -- Amos 5:19

beasts feld by bow: stegadon, rhinox rider, warsphinx, chimera, terrorgheist.
Plexi
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Chaos, Dwarves, Orc and Goblin, High Elf, Blood Angels

Post by Plexi »

As much as I too would love to see a new WE book, I have to say that it would be fairly easy to have a sit-down with your friends/ regular gamers and just do house rules for the current woodies. There are more than enough people around (even on this forum) who have made whole new army books, or on the threads of what people would like to see in our new book. Cherry pick the rules you like or think aren't too OP, verify usage with your group, commence to having fun again. To follow the GW rules as if they are theological canon is silly anyhow, they've demonstrated time and again how adept they are at balancing their own game ( unkillable warshrines, 6 point DE spearmen, etc). One of the happiest days of my gaming life was when I saw the errata for the power scroll in the latest WD. Not so much that I care all that much about the item one way or the other, as I can see its uses both ways. I was more excited to see GW finally admit to making what they saw as a mistake. Makes for a bright future in my eyes.
"In the beginning the universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move."

My game groups blog site http://thestarforge.wordpress.com/
tifus
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: F: Wood Elf, Dark Elf; 40k: Space wolves, Deamon

Post by tifus »

New army book ? Just addon like terrorgheist ?
Hope about new army book, fear about addon...
Just a fool...
Joelatron
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joelatron »

Just had a flick through the Storm of magic book and in terms of monsters I think it's the sign of things to come (YAY Hydra goes up in points!).

The most exciting entry is, of course, what they did to the Great Stag. 5+ true ward, and d3 impact hits @ s5 but has gone up in cost to the same as treekin. A unit that would get me spending money (and field something other than treekin, glade guard and treemen) is the ability to take units of them as wildriders. Unit of 3 with riders (like the TK surfing knights) with fast calv, impact hits, true ward and elvish awesomeness on top = great. Of course, treekin would have to drop to around 55 points, or drop to t4 (if this happens they lose their main appeal).

I suspect any new treeman is years away as he/she just got re-released in fine cast.

Big forest drake though? hmmmmmm or mud monster!
CAKE OR DEATH?

Visit my blog! www.thebrushofdoom.blogspot.com Lots of battle reports and stuff...with pictures!
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

soilworker wrote:rumors have now lost most validity.
Sure but that was Harry. If you know his trackrecord I bet there will be a giant plastic treeman soon. And just because the model is in Finecast doesn't mean a second kit wasn't made (perhaps the Ancient gets a larger kit and will be out 'big monster'). I wouldn't predict too much about GW model-wise, look at the Terrorgeist and new unit upgrades.

As for a year away, GW at best does a Fantasy army every 3 months, even though Brets and Dwarfs are high on the list it would be annoying to wait that long.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Another nugget from the all-knowing
I also heard about a big plastic tree. When I heard about this the way it was described it sounded so big I assumed it was a scenery piece. I was quite surprised when Hastings told me it was a treeman. But then 'the oak of ages' was mentioned so that may have thrown me slightly.
Oak of Ages AFAIK was from the 4th ed book, nice to see classic stuff back.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Hmm... if they are considering rekindleing old stuff, maybe there will be chariots again... A reason to hold on those White lions and hope one can make a nice count-as maybe...
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.
ThaneWill
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood elves, Dwarves and Skaven

Post by ThaneWill »

I think GW is going to re-new some older books first. (Ogres..... TK's........ and next brets or woodies followed by dwarves (since dwarves don't need updates) ) As said wood elves will take time. I do would like some FAQ-poit drop. would make me play woodies more for sure.
' Wood elves are not treehugging hippies!!!"

darkened fantasy, WHFB forum

Aka: (chaos) ThaneWill and Willqueek (for all members of other forums)
popisdead
Former Council Member

Post by popisdead »

Current fluff points away from Chariots no matter how weird the scenario people dream up they should exist.
everything plog
ork plog

"Yaaay for T7 Grots!"
Joey_Boy
Bladesinger
Bladesinger

Post by Joey_Boy »

GW will not be updating any books based on there need for new rules. They will update the books that will sell minis. If they get to repack, add new plastics and buff the power level of a book they will do so. WE have awesome plastics as is and the only real changes would be plastic EG and maybe a GR/WR box. This is not taking into account any new units!

I do however hope that GW will keep the WE as the premier skirmish army of 8th when they do update our book. I would hate it if WE went the way of the Beastmen and all our stuff became ranked. I think that would be the last drop for me and I'd go fully over to WM/Hordes. :(
Wild Riders are a Fluff unit!
Ramesesis
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood elves & Empire at the moment

Post by Ramesesis »

Well, as far as I have heard skirmishers are so nerfed in 8th ed. basing an army around them will take some inventive rules from the Games Developers. I too want Wood elves to stay the premier irregular warfare army, but I wonder how GW will be able to do this.
Leafstalker wrote:Nothing more beautiful then seeing a massive Bret charge stall into the formed ranks of the Eternal Guard... my Highborn Ramesesis had to harden his heart as he dueled with the Bret Lords and cut them down.