Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by greenman »

Rogue Sun wrote:So if this guy has the book why don't we know the stats for anything else at this point? Come on, what do the Wild Rider rules look like. Are Warhawks useable? What characters did we get and what new rules do they all have!? So many questions need answering!
I think what he posted comes from the White Dwarf that comes out later this week, so it probably doesn't have much more in terms of stats.
Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gerinako »

Honestly thought we were going to get a re-hashed release.

Now I'm envisaging

Purchasing 20 more Eternal Guard
30-40 Wildwood Rangers
Couple of Trees
8 Sisters
8 Wild Riders....

Am I missing anything else...

This is painful
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

I'm going to be pretty broke too. By the time I get 2 boxes of stags, 3 of rangers, 1 of eternal guard (to mix into my old unit) and a shadowdancer (I predict they are going to have pretty boss rules).........ouch.
And that's assuming the rules for all of the above sucks (bar the shadowdancer, I won't buy him unless he's decent). If they rock I'm going to need at least two more boxes of stags and rangers.

Damnit, my poor horse-riding WRs! Should I put redo the riders on stags, or just leave them as is?.........now I know why I should never bother doing a decent paint job on anything.
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Findecano
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Lizardmen, Tomb Kings, Empire, Orcs & Goblins, Witch Hunters, Necrons

Post by Findecano »

Gerinako wrote:Honestly thought we were going to get a re-hashed release.

Now I'm envisaging

Purchasing 20 more Eternal Guard
30-40 Wildwood Rangers
Couple of Trees
8 Sisters
8 Wild Riders....

Am I missing anything else...

This is painful
How are you getting 8 each of sisters and WRs when they come in boxes of 5? The nearest you could get would be 8 of one and 7 of the other (3 boxes).

In all honesty I'm not really sold on the stags, I might get some at a later date, but at the moment I'll keep using my old horse-mounted wild riders and pass on the sisters.

I will be picking up 2-3 boxes of wild wood rangers though, I already have 30 of the old metal Eternals so that gives me something to use all those spare shields for.
MyNameDidntFit wrote:I actually play Wood Elves because I saw this forum with threads like this and thought to myself "I could go for a bit of patting myself on the back for being awesome, I should start Wood Elves so I can join in" ;)
"Aiya Eärendil Elenion Ancalima!"
Gerinako
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gerinako »

Findecano wrote:
How are you getting 8 each of sisters and WRs when they come in boxes of 5? The nearest you could get would be 8 of one and 7 of the other (3 boxes).

In all honesty I'm not really sold on the stags, I might get some at a later date, but at the moment I'll keep using my old horse-mounted wild riders and pass on the sisters.

I will be picking up 2-3 boxes of wild wood rangers though, I already have 30 of the old metal Eternals so that gives me something to use all those spare shields for.
In that case 10 of each :D
MortenLarsen
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves & Vampire Counts - mostly...

Post by MortenLarsen »

All of those new figs are just amazing! Most have'em ALL! :nod:
"The owl askes but never answers."

Character list
https://1drv.ms/w/s!AvkMwC1v8aTy0scTF0V ... g?e=oAA3RC

frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Models look really nice, colour schemes look good too.

:D :thumbsup:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Gwill_of_the_Woods
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves, AoS - Dwarf/Empire mix

Post by Gwill_of_the_Woods »

So it's looking like Wild Riders will keep Fast cav then! Yay! Maybe the shield is an upgrade for the WR.
I suspect that they will remain S4 (S5 on charge), and will be the more combat proficient of the the set. I really hope they get an awesome ward save too.
They have always been my favourite unit and the theme for my army, so I'm hoping GW "looked after them", especially considering they released new models.
I'm totally going to use my old ones, but I' thinking of converting their heads to include the new helmets.

I wonder what the deal will be with a WR character. I really hope it is just like a kindred upgrade. The Shadowdancer is pretty much a wardancer kindred, and I suspect there might be an upgrade or magic item to make a character a scout.

I like the "Thorn Maidens". That's what I'm going to keep calling them! :ninja: Small bunker for a low level wizard coming your way!
Long live the King in the Woods!!!
CauCaSus
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by CauCaSus »

Pics from WD are out and the rules for the thorn maidens are the same as rumoured. Won't get their 4+ ward vs miscast, but honestly thats fine considering warlocks are op.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

CauCaSus wrote:Pics from WD are out and the rules for the thorn maidens are the same as rumoured. Won't get their 4+ ward vs miscast, but honestly thats fine considering warlocks are op.
Reasonably priced too.

I'm seeing a unit of 9 with a l2 singer with power of darkness to boost their javelins to s4, as quite a tasty unit.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Post by Baardah »

something with the way the antlers are placed on the forehead seems off. Seems like they are floating a little above the skull of the stag. wonder of they will look better with some filing down under the antlers.

I`m thinking of actually using these antlers as a headdress on my fenrisian wolves that my current wild riders are mounted on......

I will at least by 3 boxes of this kit. and 4 boxes of EG/WWR kit.

I wonder though if the WWR will be a good MSU unit rather than a big block. They aren't protected enough to last long anyway so met be better in small torpedo units. Go in operation grill on the gribblies.

Against TK and VC though they might be a good block.

Im so excited to see what rules the EG has
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Oh my! I absolutely love the paint scheme on the Wildwood Rangers. I'm considering repainting my models to include some purple in them like the WWR have (there's already red, orange, leather etc.). I also really like the EG models, and it's nice to see them wielding dual-tipped spears. The WR/SotT I am more unsure about. I love the elves riding them and the stags do look nice, it's just how they are combined that looks weird to me. I know the stags are very dynamic but some of the riders look like they are hovering over their mounts because they're not actually sitting down (which, admittedly, would be hard to do on a bouncing stag).

One thing I noted though, in the White Dwarf, is the note by Adam under SotT when tlking about the Curse of Anraheir: "it's worth casting on enemy units that are more set to charge Wood Elves actually in woods (or similar terrain that will cause a dangerous terrain test)". Does this mean that open ground isn't counted as terrain for those purposes (even though open ground is clearly listed as a type of terrain in the BRB)? Sorry if this is slightly off-topic, but if open ground doesn't count as terrain, Curse of Anraheir is significantly less useful than it is now.

EDIT: also, on the cover of the Guardians of the Deepwood boxed set, the Dryads are pictured as Skirmishing, so I doubt they'll lose that. :thumbsup:
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

The horns look a little off for sure, but like you say Baardah a little bit of filing and flatten them against the head would look better.
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

I'm wondering how lifebloom will affect the sisters. As w1 models they can't restore their own wounds without restoring a model.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
Gurthaur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gurthaur »

I realy like the Wildwood Rangers. Love their style, maybe a little buff, but considering that they are wielding such big ass wapons i like that too, seems realistic.
They are by far my favourites out of the new Models.

As for the eternal guard, i think they look nice, but dont like their helmets too much. That isnt much of a problem however, since a cutter will make short work of those "headshields" and then they will look pretty nice.
Also as a long time woodelf player, i already own a bunch of the metal minis.

The stagriders on the other hand.. well, i really like the stags them selfes. Seem more like deer than stags, but their poses are just magnificinet. They really look like fast, vigorous animals, realy like that.
The riders on the other hand are a completly different story. Appart from th efact, that i liked the old, vine entangled spears better, which isnt too much of a thing, their helmets, wrist and chin plates just look like they stripped them of a dead Dark Elf, because someone told them they represent the dark part of our army now. Especial ythe helmets have much too distinct dark elf feeling to them, and definitly need a swap with something else. GG or ne Eternal guard without headshields most likely.

For the sisters its pretty much the same, exept that they feel too high elfish this time. GW is really hammering that duality thing in, arent hey? A proper green and earthy paintjob will make short work of most of these feelings that this white-blue sheme is emmiting. However, those crwoned heads, pointy shoulders and collar, and the staffs look way to much like a highelf caster. Not emmiting a feel of nature and wilderness in the least. While a heaswap would at least get rid of those ridiculous "caster crwons" that look they will get stuck in twigs and branches all the wime, i dont know what to do about the bodies. The staffs at last, are really annoying. They just look su damnd unpractical and silly. MUST they wield staffs just because they are casters? With lore of heavens or the like i would understand, but from what i get these gals are in tune with nature and wild and all, surely they dont need those, pesky things that arent good for hunting or fighting to get a spell off. Not too much of a stretch too replace the tip with a blade and make it another spear, but still.

All in all im kind of dissapointed with this realease. The Treeman are sort of ok, Maybe ill get one if i feel the need to field 4 Treeman. The only thing that i would use without any conversions are the WWR, but the stagriders are a real letdown. I would have loved to include a unit or two of these sisters in my army, Use the wildriders torsi with headswap on Glader Riders and get me some more wildriders this way, but since even th ebody of these sisters doesnt cut it for me, im wondering if the box is wort hits money, or if i just should look for some nice models elesewhere.
Aulrek
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Aulrek »

I hope Orion still joins the wild rider units. That unit would look awesome!
Niedfaru
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: WFB: Wood Elves, 40K: Eldar

Post by Niedfaru »

What's the problem with buff elves? I mean, I know that they're supposed to be lithe, but that doesn't stop them being buff too. It's not like we're getting an army of buff elves, anyway - that there are some who buck the trend for skinny gits and actually put on some muscle is a good thing, IMO. As others have said, it makes sense from the perspective of the weapons the WWR are wielding, but aesthetically, it creates some good variety in the army too.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

I like the buff elves. They remind me of myself - muscular, yet agile and cunning.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

Lifebloom?

I guess you could just skip the Sisters around sticking wounds back on whatever happens to be within 12".
skilgannon82
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by skilgannon82 »

It says on BOLS wild riders are equipped with lances, what do you reckon the credibility of this is? has anyone else seen this information somewhere else?
8th W/D/L 18/0/3
O and G 1/0/0
VC 1/0/0
dwarves 1/0/0
DE 2/0/0
LM 3/0/0
TK 2/0/0
WOC 2/0/0
empire 2/0/0
HE 0/0/1
ogres 2/0/0
skaven 1/0/0
WE 1/0/2
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

skilgannon82 wrote:It says on BOLS wild riders are equipped with lances, what do you reckon the credibility of this is? has anyone else seen this information somewhere else?
I'm pretty sure that's not true.
The only pics I've seen of them they are holding spears. I also didn't see any lances on the sprue pics.
greenman
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by greenman »

Something new from Warseer:
Eternal guard: 1a S3, stubborn
Arrows:
- Witch curse: poison
- Moonfire: +1 to wound on the order side
- accurate: ignore modifiers when rolling to hit
- Bodkins: AP -3
- Starfire: +1 to wound on the destruction side

Special rules:
Forest stalker: the thing that you dont have DT tests on forests (can't remember english name for the rule), and while on forests: fight with one more row, shoot with one more row and reroll 1s to wound on CC.
Blessing of the ancients: +1 when casting from a forest
Forest spirit: 6++ and itp
Can place a CITADEL forest in your side of the table (yay)

Kurnous: ¿FA?, +1a on charge, tatoos, fast ¿cavalry?
Weaponry:
Asraii bow: S3 AP
Javelin 12", AP, poison
Spears normal spears but with AP
Sisters: What was confirmed by WD pic
Rangers: What was confirmed by WD pic
Shadow dance has shadow lore, and it's a hero.
Warhawks with kb on charge turn, AP on both (i guess means the rider and mount)
Waywatchers: two different shot types. Swift shot: Multiple shots(2); Accurate shot: Ignores armor saves
Only Spellweavers can use high or dark
Nobles and lords have a the rule "kurnos's arrow" (or something like that) If the enemy general is within 36" and in a straight line (i guess this means LoS) from any of those, before starting receives an S3 impact that ignores armor saves
Treeman S5, 5a, Updates like strangleroot. Ancient only 3A, level 2 life.
Wardancers the already quoted dances ¿?
Lore has the already quoted rules ¿?
Driads no longer skirmish, hatred, s3
http://www.warseer.com/forums/showthrea ... !!!/page30
Last edited by greenman on 29 Apr 2014, 12:41, edited 1 time in total.
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

So according to a source on BOLS, the Wild Rider/ Thorn Sister box is €29 and the Wildwood/Eternal Guard box is €31.
If this info is to be believed, anyway.

Not too bad if these new boxes end up being $35-45 USD. That or I'm just numb to GW pricing insanity after having purchased 4 boxes of the new Witch Elves last fall for my Dark Elf army. :lol: :smoke:
frogboy
Elder of the Council

Post by frogboy »

Well if the rumours on Warseer are correct, Wood Elves are going to be completely different army. :paranoid:
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

Waywatchers: two different shot types. Swift shot: Multiple shots(2); Accurate shot: Ignores armor saves
If this is true, I'll be running 2 units of 10 for sure!