Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

themidget428
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Necrons, TK, Wood Elves, Catachans

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by themidget428 »

I am so erect.

You might be able to say, that I've......

GOT WOOD!

I'll see myself out.
Necrons Since '04
Tomb Kings Since '08
Wood Elves since '12

Record with the New woodies(W-L-D): 6-9-0
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

Liking everything so far, minus the Wildwood axe guys. And can't express enough how pleased I am with the look of the new Eternal Guard plastics.

Now as long as they don't want Witch Elf prices on all this new stuff, I'll be VERY happy. :D
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

Mixed feelings about these models, but will reserve judgement until I see better views.

However, super-excited to see what the new rules are :-) Feeling smug that my predictions were pretty darn close!
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Hmmmmm...

I must say that I do like the new infantry - looks like my initial distaste for the Wildwood Rangers was entirely due to garish paint-scheme syndrome. I think the Eternal Guard are... ok. Not amazing, and I certainly like the last ones a lot more (there was a sort of magical 'fairytale' feel to the last ones that I feel these new ones are lacking), but they're definitely not terrible by any stretch, and could definitely have been a lot worse.

The Wildriders/Thorn Sisters (I'm disappointed the first reported name was just a mistranslation, I personally think 'Maidens of the Thorn' sounds a heck of a lot cooler. Sounds to me like a metal band name actually. :lol: ), on the other hand.... no, not for me. It may just be me, and it may just be something to do with the photography, but the Wildriders seem a bit... scrawny to me. Between that, those helmets and the colour scheme they look to me like little green men rather than ruthless faerie hunters. The Sisters of the Thorn I like slightly better, but it's still not enough to win me over. I'm also very disappointed with their hair, as I must admit I was wishing for it to be not quite as blown out so I could have a new supply of female heads with their hair out and down for conversions (my last two sources, the High Elf Mage on the Elemental Base and the Bretonnian Damsels/Fey Enchantress have both been depleted). Still, it's not too much of a loss for me since I was never big on having cavalry in my army in the first place, and what little of it I wanted for completeness I already have covered with the Glade Riders from the old Battalion box and some of the old Wild Riders I managed to rescue before they went OOP (though I am starting to lament that they never came with a Champion).

If I'm being honest, this re-release has been a large let-down for me (though I seem to be the only Wood Elf enthusiast in the universe who feels that way), but it may yet be redeemed in my eyes. The re-release of the Wardancer Noble and the new infantry kit may yet prove to be a silver lining, but it remains to be seen whether or not it will be enough to make up for the new Treeman (which I personally do NOT like), the background changes.... and the loss of the Lore of Athel Loren. :cry:

Also, I have to ask, because it's really bugging me. What is up with the faces on the new Wild Rider/Sisters of Thorn standards?
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
Beragon
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Beragon »

Well if deer aren't fast cav, then I don't know how horses could be. :nod:
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Welshy wrote:
Beragon wrote:I just noticed... those are double-ended spears the spearmen are holding. Could it be 2 attacks with shield? Looks like they'll retain spear-staves.
good spot. they have 2 hands on the spears too.....

Maybe they will keep eternal guard fighting styles??
This really is the question of the hour for me. Rules-wise, how they integrate the shields along with the spears will be interesting.

Will it be sorta like when dudes with halberds have shields, as in: the added protection only works against shooting attacks?
Will they get that awesome AP rule that Araloth has? Will EG finally be a good core rank and file combat option for me over using Dryads?

Mannnnnn is it going to be a long wait til the end of this week. :( :eek: :crazy:
Kakapo42
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Kakapo42 »

Odinsleepwalker wrote:Will they get that awesome AP rule that Araloth has?
I wouldn't be surprised, considering they have the same style of spear-tip (with the grooves on it).
WANTED: Wildwood Ranger axes. PM me if you have any spare.
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

I'm hoping that to keep the old models relevant, you can weild the Saerath with a shield at S3 but better save or without the shield at S4. Thats what I hope.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

dusk1983 wrote:I'm hoping that to keep the old models relevant, you can weild the Saerath with a shield at S3 but better save or without the shield at S4. Thats what I hope.
Agreed. Options are always nice.

We shall see...
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jberrysf »

"The Sisters of the thorn come with a Blackbriar Javelin that is armour piercing with poisoned attacks with a range of 12". The unit also is considered to be a level 2 wizard with shield of thorns and curse of anraheir. With a 4+ ward save and always strikes first, these units are looking tough.”

Is this our answer to the terror that are Warlocks?
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jberrysf »

Yeah, it lets you do pretty much what you want for mounts. I can't tell, are the legs for wild riders and the sisters different?
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

jberrysf wrote:"The Sisters of the thorn come with a Blackbriar Javelin that is armour piercing with poisoned attacks with a range of 12". The unit also is considered to be a level 2 wizard with shield of thorns and curse of anraheir. With a 4+ ward save and always strikes first, these units are looking tough.”

Where is that coming from?
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Dakwan
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Dakwan »

Looks like the legs are the same for both versions unfortunately :(
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Very impressed by the deer themselves. Hard to get a model that bounds like a deer but still looks like it can charge a shieldwall. Not an easy thing to sculpt.

Overall, quite pleased with the models for this release. Now we just need the rules to mesh up ;)
jberrysf
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by jberrysf »

Oh. Darn. Saw it on dakka, but through faeit.

http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/po ... 89048.page
Pigey
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Pigey »

Shields spotted on the WR/Thorn Sisters sprue!
Kojibear
Master Greeter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Marines - Orginal Chapter, Cryx, The Viktorias (Malifaux), Elves (Cutlass)

Post by Kojibear »

Kakapo42 wrote: If I'm being honest, this re-release has been a large let-down for me (though I seem to be the only Wood Elf enthusiast in the universe who feels that way), but it may yet be redeemed in my eyes. The re-release of the Wardancer Noble and the new infantry kit may yet prove to be a silver lining, but it remains to be seen whether or not it will be enough to make up for the new Treeman (which I personally do NOT like), the background changes.... and the loss of the Lore of Athel Loren. :cry:
Not the only one :) The new scults are fine, very nice. They are just not 'Wow' for me. The Wilrider stags are not 'wild' enough. I think the horses (or wolves which I have mine on) look more ferocious, which I believe more befits the wildhunt. Perhaps it is just the stags are too, as you guys put it, Rudolphish. You know there will be someone who paints them with red noses ;) On the other hand the Sisters of Thorn on the Stags look quite good.

I liked the Old Eternal Guard and would have just prefered them to be truned into plastic. I like the helmets - very '300'ish, very Greek :) On the up side maybe the old ones will be cheaper on Ebay? I have 20 but may need a few more.

Not sold on our Woodsmen. Elves which are that buff, hmm...just doesn't feel right...?

The Treemen...well, I guess they are OK, but as some have already stated, there are other alternatives outside of GW that are I think cooler and more 'tree' than demon ;)

I hope that many of my fellow Asrai are satisfied and happy with the new sculpts, as we have all waited so long. For me and a few others, I guess just the update itself and the new book will be what gets us excited, the new minis not so. :)
Keldamyr
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Keldamyr »

godswearhats wrote:
jberrysf wrote:"The Sisters of the thorn come with a Blackbriar Javelin that is armour piercing with poisoned attacks with a range of 12". The unit also is considered to be a level 2 wizard with shield of thorns and curse of anraheir. With a 4+ ward save and always strikes first, these units are looking tough.”

I don't have pictures to back this up but on warseer a guy who has the white dwarf posted stats, points, and rules. The post was deleted though. I saw it before it was deleted and that's exactly correct except the ward save wasn't confirmed. That's normal for the white dwarf to have a missing rule or too though.
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Keldamyr wrote:
godswearhats wrote:

I don't have pictures to back this up but on warseer a guy who has the white dwarf posted stats, points, and rules. The post was deleted though. I saw it before it was deleted and that's exactly correct except the ward save wasn't confirmed. That's normal for the white dwarf to have a missing rule or too though.
Here you go, from Warseer:

Sister of the Thorn 26PPM

M 5
WS 4
BS 5
S 3
T 3
W 1
I 5
A 1
Ld 9
Handmaiden upgrade is BS6

Steed of Isha
M9
WS 3
BS 0
S 4
T 3
W 1
I 4
A 1
LD 5

Blackbriar javelin: 12" S,user AR piercing poison.

ASF riders
Fast CAV
Forest Stalker
Poisoned Attacks riders

Deepwood Coven:
Unit is lvl2. Knows LoL shield of Thorns and LoB Curse of Antaheir. +1 to cast per rank of 5. To a mad of +3. Nominate a single model as faster for LOS etc...if miscast D3 wounds no saves of any kind.
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

He just added:

Eternal Guard are he standing guard of each lord.

Rangers have been personally the victim of wild spirits. They take up the blade to prevent bad forest spirits from running amok.

Wild riders wear he mask because they have spent too much time in the magical presence of Orion and have begun to warp...

Sisters are Deciples of Isha.

Nothing I listed was an upgrade to an existing unit. All appear to be new units.
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

damn. stags only T3
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

Interesting rules.

I've started a discussion on the Sisters here:
http://asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=26257
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

So if this guy has the book why don't we know the stats for anything else at this point? Come on, what do the Wild Rider rules look like. Are Warhawks useable? What characters did we get and what new rules do they all have!? So many questions need answering!