Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by brechttomme »

Arrows:
- Witch curse: poison
- Moonfire: +1 to wound on the order side
- accurate: ignore modifiers when rolling to hit
- Bodkins: AP -3
- Starfire: +1 to wound on the destruction side
If this is true, it changes everything. I'm more excited by the ability to move and shoot without penalties by buying the upgrade than I am by the AP(3). Also, ignoring cover penalties helps slightly. At least that'll let me keep my mobility. The problem is that the arrows will only be S3 AP though, which is significantly worse than S4 at short range (though the AP helps at long range).
EDIT: Oh, I didn't even think of hitting on 3's at long range... Mmmmm, yummy!
Waywatchers: two different shot types. Swift shot: Multiple shots(2); Accurate shot: Ignores armor saves
I was eating something when I read this and literally dropped it. What!? Plus a points reduction? That seems way too good. No armour on the board? Let's just blast apart these infantry. A unit of cavalry looking at you funny? Not anymore. If these Waywatchers can also take magic arrow upgrades they will be over the top... I'll really have to see it before I believe it. Imagine these guys with the accurate arrows (yes, they excite me). It'll help the mobility of course, but even MS(2) without the -1 for Multiple Shots will be ace. If the rules are correct, there's no doubt I'll be taking a lot of Waywatchers. Who needs the Lore of Metal or AP(3) arrows when you can just ignore it all? That means accurate arrows for the GG!
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

I doubt Waywatchers have those arrow options, as their special rules are essentially those arrow options. They are also bs5/6 on champ, so moving and shooting means they still hit on 3s/2s in close range, which they should be in. That's pretty bonkers!
baza
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by baza »

Special characters in the book confirmed

Special characters are: Durthu, Orion, Araloth, Drycha and Naestra & Arahan.

No Scarloc :cry:
brechttomme
Horsemaster
Horsemaster
Armies I play: Tomb Kings, Wood Elves, Kislev

Post by brechttomme »

Well yes, but that's the same as they have now. Why settle for moving and shooting on 3+ when you can get a 2+ at any range and through any cover?
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Avalon101 wrote:
Acorn of Ages: 100pt, d3 Citadel Woods at the beginning (scatter for 2d6) and are mysterious(?)

This scattering after deployment is a let down, I would expect better for 100pts.
100 points is a lot and will no dought cause some dilemma as to who is going to hold it. But that's one awesome item, if we keep Moonstone as well tree scatters up to enemy deployment zone, might work out ok
Step 1. Place 30 Glade Guard in the forest.
Step 2. Move the forest 2D6 inches in any direction away from where you placed it.
Step 3. Enjoy getting those Glade Guard back in cover for a turn or so :cry:
I was thinking more of deploy choppy close combat unit in free wood, scatter acorn of ages woods and hope one ends up near enemy deployment zone, then go go moonstone unit....
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Woodsinger
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Woodsinger »

ivrg wrote:This whole talk about "citadell woods" is silly of GW, ofc players wont be stupid enough to use thier woods but use thier own cheaper.
Well one thing is that it would keep the forest size consistent. I actually agree with this one. There's too much room for abuse of this, even WITH a size restriction. But I do see your point.
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Angels

Post by risK »

Krofna wrote:Don't stahp plox :D

Can you tell us which lores can Spellsinger/Branchwraiths use?
I don't know it, but from what I remember: only Spell Weavers are allowed High and Dark, while Spell Singers get to choose from all 8 Lores.
As I'm not registered in that other forum and don't think it will be worth it to do so, because paladin already being asked a lot of questions by the other users.

Furion is answering a lot of questions on his twitter channel. And to be honest, it's easier to just go there. He seems to be more familiar with the current Ed., is answering directly and from the English book (as it seems). Instead of my loud translations from a german forum.
no risK, no fun
baza
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by baza »

risK wrote:

I don't know it, but from what I remember: only Spell Weavers are allowed High and Dark, while Spell Singers get to choose from all 8 Lores.
As I'm not registered in that other forum and don't think it will be worth it to do so, because paladin already being asked a lot of questions by the other users.

Furion is answering a lot of questions on his twitter channel. And to be honest, it's easier to just go there. He seems to be more familiar with the current Ed., is answering directly and from the English book (as it seems). Instead of my loud translations from a german forum.
Drycha gets Shadow, Branchwraith Life/Beasts
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by overtninja »

WE are going to really fragile, but absurdly punchy. Not only will most armor lists simply not make it to us before being shot to bits, but softer units will get stormed by masses of attacks from our hard-hitting units - and with real ranked units and lots of flank-charge options, we'll cutting up steadfast and pushing things back hopefully!
baza
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by baza »

overtninja wrote:I doubt Waywatchers have those arrow options, as their special rules are essentially those arrow options. They are also bs5/6 on champ, so moving and shooting means they still hit on 3s/2s in close range, which they should be in. That's pretty bonkers!
Glade Guard, Glade riders and Deepwood Scouts (Scouts name) may purchase magic arrows. So do the Glade Lord and the Glade Captain
Krofna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Krofna »

risK wrote:

Thanks anyway, I'm following Furion on twitter aswell.
Nihil verum nisil mors.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I'll put this big so people don't miss it ...

Has anyone seen anything to confirm that Waywatchers are still part of the army?
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
Luminith
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Luminith »

godswearhats wrote:I'll put this big so people don't miss it ...

Has anyone seen anything to confirm that Waywatchers are still part of the army?
Well they're mentioned in the army book sample. So I imagine they're still part of the army
Do I like Warhammer? Are you kidding, I've got wood!....elves...
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

OK good. I was worried that they were being replaced by Wildwood Rangers.
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
baza
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by baza »

godswearhats wrote:I'll put this big so people don't miss it ...

Waywatchers are in, can have 2 shooting ability, shoot twice or ignore armour saves
skilgannon82
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by skilgannon82 »

I have heard this from two people that claim to have the book =)
8th W/D/L 18/0/3
O and G 1/0/0
VC 1/0/0
dwarves 1/0/0
DE 2/0/0
LM 3/0/0
TK 2/0/0
WOC 2/0/0
empire 2/0/0
HE 0/0/1
ogres 2/0/0
skaven 1/0/0
WE 1/0/2
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Wood Elves rumours

Post by Rogue Sun »

Hmmm. 17 points for no AS glade guard is REALLY expensive. I think you may be better served saving the magic arrows for scouts and Glade Riders.

I can't believe warhawks actually got more expensive but I suppose having KB, AP on the spear and an additional wound is pretty good for 5 points.

Wild Riders get Frenzy and Devastating charge...that....that is a glass hammer, but dear God they'll hit like trucks. 3 S5 AP attacks per rider, with ASF? With a S4 from the mount? Yes please!

Also EG as core and stubborn is pretty hot. Especially WS5 core.

EDIT: Death looks like a good lore. +6 to cast with book of Ashur while in a wood and casting a 48" bubble of the -1 T and S could be really bad for your opponent.
Last edited by Rogue Sun on 29 Apr 2014, 18:26, edited 1 time in total.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by overtninja »

Wild Riders beg for a Wyssan's. On the charge that's a dumb number of str6 attacks.
Rogue Sun
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Rogue Sun »

overtninja wrote:Wild Riders beg for a Wyssan's. On the charge that's a dumb number of str6 attacks.
Or a power of darkness. They are very fragile though. Even T4 won't save them.
Tethlis
Shadow Sentinel
Shadow Sentinel
Armies I play: Wood Elves, High Elves, Dark Elves, Ogres.

Post by Tethlis »

I was bummed to hear the Wild Riders didn't have much of a save, but I think they're still a fantastically functional unit. There are a lot of low Wound count, high points-per-Wound models out there that don't want to be on the receiving end of a Wild Rider charge. They'll get wiped out before getting a chance to swing...
Talarian
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Asrai, Druchii

Post by Talarian »

Does anyone know if Warhawk Riders will retain their Hit and Run special rule? As Akaba pointed out in his tactica this can be a very viable rule for them. Enemy is held up by an anvil and WHR just keep coming back for more static combat res as well as their current stats, KB and a few extra Str4 hits....

Would be a shame if they lost it.
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

We do still get a free wood, and a 100 points for D3 more thanks to the oak of ages.
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

from Furion, btw, just passing on info from him.
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
rasholm
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by rasholm »

Finally a spirit sword worth taking :D

Also how long do we think before the acorn is banned in tournaments? What an item!!!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Welshy wrote:We do still get a free wood, and a 100 points for D3 more thanks to the oak of ages.
I think so ?
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah