Wood Elves rumours

Discuss anything related to the Asrai, our forests, or camps around the Old World in here.

Moderator: Council of Elders

Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Re: Wood Elves rumours

Post by Drstrangelove »

Phil Rossiter wrote:I feel defensive magic is more necessary for these guys. Ws5 S5 is decent.
Agreed. Every missile weapon on the map is going to be pointed straight at these guys. Only witch elves are easier to kill among combat units, and not by much.
Why couldn't they have HA? Would have been too much....
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Odinsleepwalker
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Odinsleepwalker »

Drstrangelove wrote:
Phil Rossiter wrote:I feel defensive magic is more necessary for these guys. Ws5 S5 is decent.
Agreed. Every missile weapon on the map is going to be pointed straight at these guys. Only witch elves are easier to kill among combat units, and not by much.
Why couldn't they have HA? Would have been too much....
And Witch Elves at least get a 5+ ward when they're in a unit with the Cauldron of Blood.
Woodsinger
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Woodsinger »

TheKingInYellow wrote:Some mathhammer I posted on Warseer:

I think the go-to arrow will be Poison. S3 with AP is functionally the same as S4 for punching through armour but worse for wounding, so why not take the auto-wounds where you can get it?

Say 3 x 10 BS4 Archers in a wood, so you are getting all 30 shots off, and assuming no other penalties:

Versus Generic Human - T3, 5+ AS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 8.33 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 13.333 wounds, ~11 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 7.5 wounds, 10.375 unsaved wounds.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 10 unsaved wounds.

Versus Warriors of Chaos - T4, 3+ AS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 3.33 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 5 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 5.55 unsaved wounds.

Versus Frost Phoenix - T6, 5+ AS, 5++ WS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 3.33 wounds, 2.76 wounds after armour saves, 1.84 wounds after ward save.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 6.66 wounds, 5.53 wounds after armour saves, 3.68 wounds after ward save.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 2.5 wounds, 6.24 wounds after armour saves, 4.16 wounds after ward save.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 3.33 wounds, 3.33 wounds after armour saves, 2.22 wounds after ward save.

So basically, unless you are looking at generic T3, 5+ AS troops which shouldn't be a problem to deal with anyhow, Poision is at least as good if not better than +1 to wound, and you don't have to choose which side it will work against. It also works against the two neutral armies.

If poison is anywhere near the same cost as the +1 to wound arrows, that's your choice 99% of the time. 30 GG with poison arrows is a threat to anything on the board basically from turn one assuming they keep the 30" range and BS 4.
I think having a small group with +1 to wound would be great for dealing with war machines!! ;)
Drstrangelove
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Beastmen, lizardmen, wood elves, orcs and goblins

Post by Drstrangelove »

And here was me thinking EG were fragile combat troops in the previous book.
Going to take some learning for me, too much time pushing blocks of T4 saurus and gor around (and dryads and treekin).
".....and you are ugly! But it the morning I shall be sober!"
Gurthaur
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by Gurthaur »

overtninja wrote:Camping out in forests is probably not going to work out for us very well, realistically speaking. WE need to bring the hurt to their opponents with their fast, hard-hitting skirmishers and combat units, not hide in the woods shooting arrows.
We used to do so, but if we really get all those arrows of awesomeness, the hurt might very well come from our shooting. Hiding in woods and shooting ap -3 arrows across the field at 30" range could be working really well.

Edit: Or poisoned arrows for that matter, thanks to the prevoius mathammer outcome. :)

@ Drstrangelove: Since the rumors say the +1 to wound arrows are faction based (vs. Order/destro only) Poison is still the better choice if you dont know which army your going to face.
Phil Rossiter
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter

Post by Phil Rossiter »

TheKingInYellow wrote: 30 GG with poison arrows is a threat to anything on the board basically from turn one assuming they keep the 30" range and BS 4.
Disagree. It will not impact 1+ AS which is currently a big problem for the army. Bow of Loren, spells etc could help out there but the -3AS arrows look very tempting.

The thing about Witch Elves is there are more pressing targets to shoot (Warlocks, peg Heroes, DR's, Shades) in the DE army. So you can decimate them but then the fast stuff takes the board over. The question is whether WE's can muster the same overall threat.
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

go to @followfurion on twitter.

He has seen the book apparently!
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Woodsinger wrote:I think having a small group with +1 to wound would be great for dealing with war machines!! ;)
Poison will still do more wounds *and* works against every army. Unless War Machines are immune to Poison, in which case that's a rule I've been playing wrong...
TheKingInYellow
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by TheKingInYellow »

Phil Rossiter wrote:
TheKingInYellow wrote: 30 GG with poison arrows is a threat to anything on the board basically from turn one assuming they keep the 30" range and BS 4.
Disagree. It will not impact 1+ AS which is currently a big problem for the army. Bow of Loren, spells etc could help out there but the -3AS arrows look very tempting.

The thing about Witch Elves is there are more pressing targets to shoot (Warlocks, peg Heroes, DR's, Shades) in the DE army. So you can decimate them but then the fast stuff takes the board over. The question is whether WE's can muster the same overall threat.
Yes, this one is a clear win for the -3 AP arrows:

Empire Knights, T3, 1+ AS
S3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 1.66 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with +1 to wound - 20 hits, 13.333 wounds, 2.22 unsaved wounds.
S3 AP with Poison - 20 hits - 5 poison, 7.5 wounds, 2.075 unsaved wounds.
S3 -3 AP - 20 hits, 10 wounds, 5 unsaved wounds.

However, this is where I would use Waywatchers instead!
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Beithir did you delete emrys post too :paranoid:
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

frogboy wrote:Beithir did you delete emrys post too :paranoid:

Oops :confused:

Sorry emrys :o
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Dark Angels

Post by risK »

Paladin just went online again. Here are some new tasty bits:

Acorn of Ages: 100pt, d3 Citadel Woods at the beginning (scatter for 2d6) and are mysterious(?).
Wardancer: no more Wardancer weapons(?), just 2 hand weapons
Wild Riders: Asrai spears, devastating charge(?) and frenzy

Sorry, I haven't played WHFB under actual edition. So I'm not too familiar with changes.
no risK, no fun
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

Is anyone else tempted to put a Level 4 weaver in a forest with the book of Ashur? +6 to cast anyone??
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

Acorn of Ages: 100pt, d3 Citadel Woods at the beginning (scatter for 2d6) and are mysterious(?)
This scattering after deployment is a let down, I would expect better for 100pts.
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by risK »

Treesinging is still in the book, but in Form of a magic staff. (-1 spell compared to lvl, but +Treesinging)
no risK, no fun
Welshy
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Welshy »

if you go to this twitter
https://twitter.com/FollowFurion
it says about al the rules.
5 points for no AS on glade guard, or 3 points for poison.

Makes havibg an uniot of each very viable, no??

One for monsters, one for heavy cav.
Ethankyou wrote: We rely on tricks, and tactics, and other t words to win our games.
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

HAHA those rules, my goodness. He could be trollin' hard, but if that's true it looks like WE get to pay a 100pt and $100US tax on having guaranteed woods on the table! What joy! :s

Still, if our entire shooting can basically ignore armor, I won't even care about knights or anything else any more. Get mulched, grognards.

and yay for treesinging being still in the book!

This is going to throttle the current meta and be absolutely dominant for a while. I am frankly a bit shocked! It's times like these when I wish I didn't live in Taiwan, where no one plays WHF. I've been waiting years to devastate all comers with wood elves and blast filth lists off the table. :o
Coyle_Ravane
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Tau, Imperial guard (Tau auxilleries)

Post by Coyle_Ravane »

Avalon101 wrote:Is anyone else tempted to put a Level 4 weaver in a forest with the book of Ashur? +6 to cast anyone??
then cast lore of beasts spells at cavalry, monsters etc for +7? Wildform on wildriders? 3+ on one dice.
Minty wrote:...if you've been killed by a Wood Elf it's nothing personal, but Charles Darwin is smiling with approval.
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

Nice one Welshy
Avalon101 wrote:
Acorn of Ages: 100pt, d3 Citadel Woods at the beginning (scatter for 2d6) and are mysterious(?)
This scattering after deployment is a let down, I would expect better for 100pts.
100 points is a lot and will no dought cause some dilemma as to who is going to hold it. But that's one awesome item, if we keep Moonstone as well tree scatters up to enemy deployment zone, might work out ok.
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by risK »

Soulblade: No armor save allowed. If a char/monster suffers unsaved wound, both roll 2d6 add morale. If wielder wins, difference is translated into wounds with no armor saves allowed.
Daith's Spear: reroll failed hits and wounds and enemy rerolls passed armor saves.
Bow of Loren: armor pen, number of shots=A+1, no magic arrows
Helm of the Hunt: +1 armor, devastating charge, +1WS
Moonstone of Hidden Ways: unit in forest and out of combat may transfer into another forest
Hail of Doom Arrow: 3d6 armor penetrating S4 shots
no risK, no fun
overtninja
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: just wood elves :p

Post by overtninja »

I'd rather rock a couple 'singers for beasts, since I love me some Wyssan's, and the other spells are gorgeous.
ivrg
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Plays Eldar, CSM and WE at the moment.

Post by ivrg »

This whole talk about "citadell woods" is silly of GW, ofc players wont be stupid enough to use thier woods but use thier own cheaper.
Avalon101
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Avalon101 »

100 points is a lot and will no dought cause some dilemma as to who is going to hold it. But that's one awesome item, if we keep Moonstone as well tree scatters up to enemy deployment zone, might work out ok
Step 1. Place 30 Glade Guard in the forest.
Step 2. Move the forest 2D6 inches in any direction away from where you placed it.
Step 3. Enjoy getting those Glade Guard back in cover for a turn or so :cry:
risK
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by risK »

OK, there seem to be enough english books in the open now … ;)
no risK, no fun
Krofna
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Krofna »

risK wrote:OK, there seem to be enough english books in the open now … ;)
Don't stahp plox :D

Can you tell us which lores can Spellsinger/Branchwraiths use?
Nihil verum nisil mors.