Relaxing image size restrictions

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnia, Vampire Counts

Relaxing image size restrictions

Post by Ioreth Starmantle »

So, I've just started my Army Journal and found I cannot embed an image over 900 pixels wide or tall.

This feels really restricting and it's not something I've encountered on other army fora (nor have I encountered any obnoxiously large pictures on fora whithout such restrictions).

I love living in the age of high-def digital cameras with macro mode. It's a golden age for showing and criticising minis.

Is the admins willing to consider lifting, or relaxing the size restriction?

I get the reasoning that probably lead to it. I suspect it's an old restriction, a fossil from the days of small monitors and, perhaps even dial-up connections?

I don't think images over 900 pixels are unreasonable in the far off year of 2013, though?

Your standard 1920x1080 monitor could handle images twice that size and not need to scroll. (I say could, I'm not suggesting most people need or would embed 1800 pixel pictures...)

I hope this is all taken in the manner it's meant, as a genuine request, rather than bitter complaint.
'Learn well Nature's sole law, for it is thus: Hunt or be hunted, kill or be killed. Know too that the only reason anything ever dies is because it no longer deserves to live! Should have fought harder, should have grown stronger.'
- Ioreth Starmantle, Waywatcher Highborn
Balakul
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Space Orks, Space Wolves

Re: Relaxing image size restrictions

Post by Balakul »

Hello,

I see what is your problem. I believe the IMG-PIX restriction is here due to saving room on server-space.

If my I suggest you trying alternative servers for storing your pictures and other materials. There are plenty of free providers that will allow you to store your pictures as big as you want, which can be then easily uploaded here in any maneuver, and even share further on other forums, social books, blogs...

I personally using webs.com that allow me (besides free webpage) to store some stuff there.

I hope this helped.

EDIT: I see this form allow uploading pictures on to it :) didn't know that.
Crobat Balakul
Ioreth Starmantle
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Bretonnia, Vampire Counts

Post by Ioreth Starmantle »

My pictures are all hosted on photobucket, I'm merely wishing to embed them.
'Learn well Nature's sole law, for it is thus: Hunt or be hunted, kill or be killed. Know too that the only reason anything ever dies is because it no longer deserves to live! Should have fought harder, should have grown stronger.'
- Ioreth Starmantle, Waywatcher Highborn
Gerner
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman

Post by Gerner »

Ioreth Starmantle wrote:My pictures are all hosted on photobucket, I'm merely wishing to embed them.
I have the same problem. The reason I don't have a plog here.. :(
Feel like helping me out? Look at my army list thread: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=25040 :)
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

Your idea of a "standard" screen is far from standard. As you say, you live on the edge of high-def screens. Not everyone else does. 1024x768 is still somewhat common, and 1280x1024 is pretty much the new standard. I, personally (and as a computer geek), have never owned a screen with better resolution than 1280x1024. Except on my job where I run eight screens side-by-side. That's why the size restrictions are set to 900 pixels wide and unlimited height. Otherwise it would screw up the site layout on most screens. If you are unwilling to show off your minis by forcing the reader to click a link, then I'm afraid you may need to reconsider. I don't think anyone on this forum would be sad to have to click on a link to Photobucket or to an attachement already on this site (shown as a miniature in the post, btw).

~ Naggie
Dragon halitosis
Horsemaster
Horsemaster

Post by Dragon halitosis »

I use a wordpress blog so I can archive my images and associated rambling as well as posting it to the forum via link. This is more satisfying in the long run. Plenty of free blog sites to choose from.
godswearhats
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by godswearhats »

I personally like to view everything inline here, and having it wider than 900px would be pointless. At least 50% of my reading is done via my iPhone.

I usually post about 500 wide with a link through to Flickr.
~gwh
Rank and Flank: A Warhammer: The Old World Podcast and Discord
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

Hi I would like to start a plog. Can someone please tell me how to post pictures on this site? Do I upload from my computer or from photo bucket, and how do I do this. Thanks, :)
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Under each and every field where you write your post, there's a tab labelled "Upload attachment". Hit that tab and upload the images directly to the site server. When that's done, the image can be placed inline in the post, or you can have them all together at the bottom of the post.
Screenshot.png
~ Naggie
robtion
Trusted Bowman
Trusted Bowman
Armies I play: Vampire Counts, Wood Elves

Post by robtion »

@naggie: Great thanks for that :thumbsup:
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

I still think you are better off uploading to Flickr and then copying and pasting their BBCode link to the image. That way people can see the resolution of the image that suits them.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

The way I coded things a couple of years ago was the complete opposite. When hotlinking images from other sites into your posts, I set a maximum width of the image. Hence, when hotlinking, the size and resolution can be restricted. When uploading images to the site, there's no max size of the image. I've only put a max file size for such images (3 or 5 MiB).

~ Naggie
godswearhats
Elder of the Council

Post by godswearhats »

What I mean is, it's good etiquette to only post a smallish size picture directly inline in the forum anyway (e.g. for people on mobile connections), and by providing the link through to Flickr, you can allow people to view it as large as they like (I regularly take images that are 8Mb in size for instance). It also makes it easier to link your images on other forums too.
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

Uploading and posting it inline also only generates a thumbnail image, with the full-size just a click away. But I understand if the size is a problem. And linking on other sites is troublesome if you upload it here. You need to right-click on it to get the right URL.

~ Naggie
Naggie
King of the Woods

Post by Naggie »

If anyone is interested in what screen resolution our visitors use, here's some data.
These stats are from all types of connections (PC, mobile, Nintendo 3DS etc). The data represents the last few days.
Screenres.png
~ Naggie
hutobega
Wild Hunter
Wild Hunter
Armies I play: Orcs and goblins, Vampire Counts, Wood Elves.

Post by hutobega »

That's cool! I am easily amused.
How do we prove we exist? Maybe we don't...