sticky threads on THAT topic

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

sticky threads on THAT topic

Post by dusk1983 »

Hey guys.

Over the past year Ive been involved (and many others) in rumour-mongering threads about when a new army book is coming out.

Each time, the thread has been stopped by an admin and we've been directed to search out the thread that already addresses this.

Unfortunately due to the age of the army book and how complicated and unforgiving wood elves are to play, this topic *is* going to come up again and again and again. I would even go so far as to say its one of the most popular questions to be asked, and as we fall further and further behind our competitors, the question is going to become even more persistent.

I just wonder whether its at all possible to make a sticky thread available from the portal page where any new members can immediately see it? I feel that it would cause less frustration for those admins who have to perpetually police and shut down the new threads, repeating the same questions over and over again.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: sticky threads on THAT topic

Post by Beithir Seun »

It wouldn't be such an issue if it weren't for the fact that we've had three or four threads running concurrently. It would perhaps be excusable if it was brought up again when the previous thread had disappeared, but we've had people discussing the same topic in three different threads at the same time.

It would also help if people were using the Search function to find these existing threads (or just go looking for them) before they start a new thread again. As you said yourself, this is a popular topic so you can bet that there is a thread on it that's active and in discussion. Instead, people start multiple new threads all dealing with the same topic instead of finding the existing one(s). In most cases, these threads are only a few topics down the page - we have three threads on the subject right now in the Hall of Discussion (two of which are locked) all on the same page, all within a few threads of each. They literally require the bare minimum of searching to find - you don't even have to change the page!

It's not the moderating that's frustrating, it's the fact that people don't bother looking for threads which already address the topic.

Right, rant over. For all my raging, yours is a good suggestion (although I dare say we'll still get new topics posted...) so consider it done.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
dusk1983
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Tyranids, Tau, Blood Angels and Wood Elves

Post by dusk1983 »

No worries. Glad to be of service. :D

Oh and one of those threads was one i stupidly started, so my bad and many apologies.
...So if you're addressing me direct, just call me Lance or Dusk, no 1983 please.
Chaos dwarf tactica: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23535
Chaos dwarf plog: http://www.asrai.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=23159
Naggie
King of the Woods
Armies I play: Druchii and Asrai. Elves for the win!

Post by Naggie »

I would need to revamp the search function a bit as it is hard to find things which are very commonly spoken about. The threashhold of "common words" is a bit too high. The height is set to bring down the massiveness of the database (as 75% of it or more is the search wordmatch tables).

~ Naggie