Wfo campaign?

Questions about the site or suggestions for improvements go here and are investigated by the Council of Elders

Moderator: Council of Elders

Baardah
Former Council Member
Armies I play: WE, Dwarf, HE, Skaven, VC, O&G

Wfo campaign?

Post by Baardah »

I've been thinking lately.... Would it be possible to arrange a WFO Campaign....

I'm thinking:

Participants enter with a 500 point army. Which will increase throughout the campaign. Each game can be objective driven as well as battle points.
We utilize some mighty empires like mechanics and a map.

The campaign could run over a year and each participant would play a game a month?

Anyone interested in something like this? Can it be done?
My summer night wood elves
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.
That item would be in every list.

That item is a horse...
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Re: Wfo campaign?

Post by Beithir Seun »

Definitely possible. I've thought about running one myself, but the Sentinels campaign took precedence. I wouldn't mind running one now that that's over though (or just taking part).

The only possible hindrance would be time; games could take a while to complete (especially as they get bigger), and that could hold things up. But if there's no particular deadline for finishing, there's no reason we couldn't work around that.
Carrot and Stick ~ Beithir's Blog
Yuri
Bladesinger
Bladesinger
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by Yuri »

I'd be glad to participate if I can.
Yuri's little corner
Møøse trained by Yute Hermsgervørdenbrøtbørda
frogboy
Elder of the Council
Armies I play: WoC (Nurgle), Just starting a Slannesh WoC for 8th, CSM(Khorne/Nurgle), Starting to build a Waaagh

Post by frogboy »

What is a Wfo campain ?
Its been too long since we burned a heretic, witch hunt anyone !??
sentinalofthewoods wrote:yes, unicorn riders that shoot rainbows..hell yeah
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher
Armies I play: Wood Elves, Bretonnians | Sylvaneth, Soulblight Gravelords | Astra Militarum, Tau

Post by Beithir Seun »

WFO

WFO is Warhammer Fantasy Online. Basically, you play Warhammer games over the internet (rather than 'face-to-face').

A campaign is a series of battles (often linked into a single narrative) over a period of time. If you've been in this hobby for some time, you'll have heard of wargames campaigns I'd imagine (in White Dwarf, on the internet etc.)

A WFO campaign is simply a campaign where the games are played via WFO rather than "normally". ArchMagosAlchemys ran a Mordheim WFO campaign a couple of years ago; you can take a look here
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Beithir Seun wrote:Definitely possible. I've thought about running one myself, but the Sentinels campaign took precedence. I wouldn't mind running one now that that's over though (or just taking part).

The only possible hindrance would be time; games could take a while to complete (especially as they get bigger), and that could hold things up. But if there's no particular deadline for finishing, there's no reason we couldn't work around that.
We could put a maximum to the size an army can grow too. if we start on 500, and for each round get to build up with 100 to 200 points depending on results in previous rounds, maxing at, say 2000.We could add an element of resource management, forcing players to divide the loot from a game to army building, fortifications, diplomacy, etc.... I don't know anything as of now of which mechanics one could build into this, but i doo like naming characters and having some kind of character developing of some of the armies characters. also veteran units, building up on boosts for surviving battles, going unbroken and such.

An element of game mastering and storytelling should be a part, and one might find new magic items in abandoned buildings during battles or in the aftermath....perhaps even a scroll of binding?

If we have a month or so to finish a 500 point game that should be sufficient right? by the time we get to bigger points, people are sufficiently into the WFO to speed things up.

For those wondering what a WFO is, check out the WFO thread to find out more. Basicly its playing Warhammer on the computer via image files of the tabletop

Edit: or what Beithir said.... ;)
Drstrangelove wrote:Imagine a magic item. For 20 points you get +4M, Vanguard, extra +1 to your armour save, unlimited free reforms, and an extra S3 attack at I4.

That item is a horse...
White Hunter
Newcomer
Newcomer
Armies I play: Wood Elves

Post by White Hunter »

I would be interested in doing this.
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

I might be interested. I have absoluteley no experience in WFO, but I pick up stuff quite fast.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

So, now that I'm back in the ol' country and my vacation is over, I'm prepared to go abit further on this idea.... I've been thinking of a couple of narratives for the campaign, but it seems to be pretty hard to figure out something where every army has "an excuse" for being there fighting.
So far the most fitting ive come up with is a border princes campaign. Each faction is lured to the scene by a rumor of a powerful artifact ( a sapling of the lost wychelm tree for wood elves, a motherload of gromril for dwarfs, a sacred tomb that needs protection from the tomb kings, a powerful herdstone, etc....

I have never ran anything like this before and I would appreciate any help getting something together.... I don't have the "blood in the badlands" book, but is there anything within that time that could help?

Also if we where to use mechanics from 'mighty empires' we need someone to create map tiles/ hexes....

That item is a horse...
Kulgan86
Campaign Team

Post by Kulgan86 »

I have a self written set of campaign rules somewhere. If you don't want to use an existing set like mighty empires, I could send you mine for inspiration?
Beithir Seun
The Philosopher

Post by Beithir Seun »

Baardah, I'd be quite happy to help run this. PM me if you want to discuss things.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

Kulgan86 wrote:I have a self written set of campaign rules somewhere. If you don't want to use an existing set like mighty empires, I could send you mine for inspiration?
I'd appreciate that....I have actually never even read the mighty empires rules... Only campaign thing I've read is the one from the old generals compendium.
I especially remember the "night before the battle" rules. Those are very cool....for instance you could send out spies to poison the drinking water do that one enemy troop had reduced Characteristic or you could spend the night talking to your soldiers so that they could benefit from boosted spirits and +1 Ld.

That item is a horse...
DefenderOfTheWinterGrove
Newcomer
Newcomer

Post by DefenderOfTheWinterGrove »

I'd be interested though I would probably be one of the people slowing it down since I have never actually played WFO before. But if you guys wouldn't mind the delays that might cause. I'd love to participate.
Baardah
Former Council Member

Post by Baardah »

as the campaign itself will be some time away yet, id be happy to guide those of you who are interested, but haven't played a WFO, through a game. PM me if you are interested.

That item is a horse...